Nikon N2020 (F-501) Shutter

westphoto

I was just given a Nikon N2020. It's mostly happy. Film

loads, focuses, and the mirror flaps. But the shutter

doesn't seem to be interested in the slightest. Picking

shutter speeds makes no difference. I can have it open

and press the little lever so it will fire, and the shutter doesn't flinch.

Only other oddity (which may just be the camera) is it

hesitates for a bit and does some flashing of the led

before it starts to focus, but then it just goes about as

quick as it can as long as you play with the shutter

release often enough. Is there anything that I'm missing,

or would you guess the shutter is just dead. I can upload

videos or pictures if anything else needs to be seen.

<p>Chris it does sound as if the shutter is faulty. And it's almost certainly not worth having repaired, as these older AF film SLR's can be acquired nowadays for much less than potential repair cost, owners having sold the lenses for use on digital cameras.</p>

<p>If you decided to look for a replacement camera to use with the lens, perhaps try and get hold of an F90 or F90X (N90/S). They are built to semi professional standards with fast auto focus and a very accurate exposure system, and they and run off four cheap AA batteries. Just be prepared for a messy hour or so getting the sticky coating off the back. The F801 (N8008) is another good film camera with similar qualities.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>There are some cameras that will go through the motions, but not open the shutter, when the battery is low. I don't know that the N2020 is one of those, but have you checked the battery?</p>

<p>Also, there are some that go to one usable shutter speed without a battery, but you should be able to see the shutter open if you have one of those. </p>

<p>Many cameras from that era are available for very low prices, especially without a lens, but often even with one. Some people find the mechanical shutter cameras from a little earlier more fun, but you should be able to have plenty of fun with ones like the N2020. </p>

-- glen

<p>The shutter in this camera only operates once film has advanced to exposure number one! This is on of my favorite AF multi program Nikons. Caveat: use only AF or AIS lenses as a tiny pin on the body mount can catch on other lenses creating a locked lens problem. To check shutter action remove lens close back and fire camera. After the third release the shutter will fire!</p>

<p>I have made sure to try it off of the DX setting. I'm putting it in fully manual mode. M on the front, single shot up top, 125th shutter. And it does move through the auto-advance at the beginning, and then just goes about shooting. I've put a roll in just to make sure and I'm assuming the shutter still isn't doing anything because all of the symptoms are still there and changing the shutter speed still doesn't change a thing. I was looking at a video of one that works properly, and it looks like my shutter is in a different position at rest than it should be. I'm guessing a little ways into the travel. Here, <a href="

F501 AF 35mm SLR Film Camera Overview / Review</a>. I can see the arms connecting the shutter blades on the right in it's current state. Interestingly, I can gently push down on the blades with a pocket knife and they move without a problem, but I'm guessing something's stuck keeping it from returning up to the proper rest position.</p>

<p>If anyone knows anything about repairing these guys, it does seem to be giving me some manner of error report. I was thinking it was just a DX things since that's all the consumer manual mentions for the LED on the top left, but any time you touch the shutter release, it barely lights, and there's a chunky noise from inside (sounds about like an electric motor trying and hitting an obstacle), and then it flashes rapidly ten times (or so).</p>

<p>I'd be happy to take a stab at opening it up and fixing it myself if anyone has access to a repair manual or just knows what to do. Seems like a pretty spiffy little camera if I could just get the shutter to move.</p>

<p>http://collectiblend.com/Cameras/Nikon/Nikon-N2020.html</p>

<p>gives the average body-only value of $10 to $20. </p>

<p>That is less than just about all I can remember, many being $20 to $30. </p>

<p>It might cost more than that for shipping from most eBay sellers.<br>

My favorite source for no shipping cameras is Goodwill auctions from the nearest store that does them, either shopgoodwill.com, or as an eBay seller. (The one near me uses both.)</p>

<p>Last year I got a Canon T80 for $17. (The starting bid was $10, so someone else was interested.)<br>

Often enough, I can get good cameras for $10, plus tax, and no shipping.</p>

<p>http://www.ebay.com/itm/301838859044</p>

<p>is almost done, but has no bids for $12.50, free shipping.</p>

-- glen

Oh, I'm not terribly worried about fixing/replacing it. Just

looking to see if anyone has any clues. It seems like

something minor. I had AE-1s that wouldn't shoot, total

loss according to just about every account, but turned

out to just be one contact slightly out of place. She'll sit

patiently on the shelf for the lucky day.

• 2 weeks later...

<p>So I've paid a little more attention and done a little more research, and I'm now under the impression that the shutter is not cocking.</p>

<p>Again, if anyone has any details on disassembly or how this auto-winding camera is supposed to operate, I'd love to hear them.</p>