Nikon ML-L3 'unavailable'.

mike_halliwell

"Of course no-one in their right-mind would pay £20+ for one, when as-reliable clones are 1/10 the price."

- Quite! The clones often have the ability to fire multiple makes of camera as well.

I wonder if there's a setting on 'universal' TV/CD/Satellite remotes that can fire a camera? I could fit a diode to my storage scope and look at the ML-L3 code.... if I could be bothered.

"Of course no-one in their right-mind would pay £20+ for one, when as-reliable clones are 1/10 the price."

Strange coincidence; I've just ordered a new one as my clone seems to have failed after about 2 years. I'm trying one direct from Hong Kong at £2.25 this time. I wonder if the same Chinese factory is making all of them as they all so similar?

It is so good on a tripod using the rear IR receiver, so much less bother than the clumsy cable version.

Ha! I wasn't bemoaning their unavailability, just whether Nikon is about to bring out it's Bluetooth remote.

I found I can buy 10 clones for less than the price of 1 Nikon made one.

As they tend to end up in various pockets and camera bags and students 'borrow' them, buying 10 at once isn't that crazy!

• Like 2

I found I can buy 10 clones for less than the price of 1 Nikon made one.

This morning, because I looked at them yesterday, I got a swarm of ads with the Nikon Branded one (and others) for as little as $1.25 U.S. If I didn't usually manage to keep track of my equipment, I'd order one or two more!

Thanks Erik, I was meaning unavailable from the manufactures website(s) below EU and US...:)

Infrared remote control ML-L3 Remote Control Connectivity DSLR Accessories

ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) from Nikon

Of course no-one in their right-mind would pay £20+ for one, when as-reliable clones are 1/10 the price.

Europe ( Dutch ) Nikon Manufacturers website :

Infraroodafstandsbediening ML-L3 Afstandsbediening Connectiviteit D-SLR Accessoires

It does not say "unavailable" but just "tell me when it will be in stock again" i think.

This remote is used for so many ifferent camera models , that it just may be out of stock becauss of the festive period around christmas i guess

Edited by c.p.m._van_het_kaar

That is one mouthful of a word to say 'IR remote'

If you used the "correct" expression NikonUSA does on their website (ML-L3 Wireless Remote Control (Infrared) - you'd be no better off in terms of timing shots properly.

The German description is Infrarotfernauslöser - pretty much the direct translation of Infrared remote control. One could abbreviate that to IR-fernauslöser or even IR-Auslöser. Pretty sure the Dutch version could be shortened in a similar fashion.

My £2.25 one from Hong-Kong arrived yesterday. Clearly a different plastic moulding from the old one being a little thicker, though both say "for Nikon" and look similar. I took the old one apart and it looks as if the problem may be that the battery contact spring has lost it's set so contact is intermittent. It's possible to peel off the self adhesive front panel (giving access to the screws) and replace it; so repairs are possible if one has the inclination!

I've just finished spraying one of mine Bright Red....

A friend of mine so admired a Nikon J1 I'd converted to IR, he bought it off me. He's a Canon user, so the generic little blipper he uses with 'for Canon' printed on, looks almost identical.... so I sprayed the Nikon one Red.

I thought about Yellow for Nikon and Red for Canon, kinda team colours, but decided Infra Red needs RED!

"Infraroodafstandsbediening"

- That is one mouthful of a word to say 'IR remote'!

Pass me the infraroodafstandsbediening..... Ah, too late! The picture's gone now.

I would have used IR-afstandsbediening, but in this case it is part of the name of the link which is automatically inserted when adding the full URL...