NIKON MF28 Data Back query.

mal_thomas

Have an F5.

Would really like to record date/time images were taken so I can line them up with separate GPS data for 'semi-automated' geo tagging.

A couple of questions if I may for those who are more familiar with the MF28...

1. From what I have read in the Nikon manuals - the MF28 will add the ability to insert the Date and Time stamp to the exposure data that is captured and stored in the F5 - assuming I have the correct Custom Setting "B"** set to record both Exposure Data from the Camera and Date/Time from the MF28 - True or False ? (** referring to p15 Nikon Photo Secretary User Manual)

2. I can use something like Meta35 to extract this date/time and exposure data to a Mac ?

3. Is it still viable to buy a MF28 back given the reported issues of the fading LCD's ?

Thanks

Well, since no one else has responded I'll say that I'm not sure there was a way to download any info from the MF-28 back. I didn't do a bunch of research before posting, but I believe its main purpose was putting information on the film in an analog fashion.

The F6 had a data back that could transfer exposure information to a CF card, if I remember correctly.

Well, since no one else has responded I'll say that I'm not sure there was a way to download any info from the MF-28 back. I didn't do a bunch of research before posting, but I believe its main purpose was putting information on the film in an analog fashion.

The F6 had a data back that could transfer exposure information to a CF card, if I remember correctly.

Thank you for replying....

I think you are correct. The Nikon MF-28 is primarily designed to imprint exposure data on the film between frames. But the nikon F5 Photo Secretary manual seems to imply that if the MF-28 back is installed, the time stamp is also stored with the frame data that is captured within the F5 itself.

Nikon Photo Secretary is (was) used to extract exposure data from the F5 using the PC sync cable to a Windows PC, which by default included frame exposure data but not the time stamp the frame was shot. I think attaching the MF-28 added that field.

I cant find a mf-28 manual as yet and i dont have a copy of photo secretary to confirm.... i'll keep plodding on, if i come up with something, i'll post what i find...thanks again.

It has been a while since I picked up my F-5, but here is what I remember....

• 1) True.
  • 2) I don't know what Meta35 is and have only ever used Photo Secretary to read the data.
  • 3) I last checked a year or so ago and my MF28 LCDs were fine after more than 20 years.

Meta35 is a modern third party replacement for Photo Secretary (and Canon and Minolta's equivalent software). It comes with a cable that connects to USB, so no more messing around with serial ports or CF cards. My guess is that this will work the way you expect - i.e., the MF-28 will add time/date to the metadata collected by Meta35 - but I certainly haven't tried this. You might want to ask the Meta35 tech support guys first: Support

Meta35 is a modern third party replacement for Photo Secretary (and Canon and Minolta's equivalent software). It comes with a cable that connects to USB, so no more messing around with serial ports or CF cards. My guess is that this will work the way you expect - i.e., the MF-28 will add time/date to the metadata collected by Meta35 - but I certainly haven't tried this. You might want to ask the Meta35 tech support guys first: Support

Thanks.

Had already placed an order for Meta35 before my query - need it anyway - looks like a decent alternative to the original Photo Secretary.

If the Meta35 just scrapes the same addresses within the F5 that Photo Secretary did, then if the MF-28 adds that date/time field into the same register then yes, I think we could be right....will find one way or another in a few weeks when the MF-28 and software arrives ...:-) I might pose a question them anyway - I must say I am curious.

IMG_0436.thumb.PNG.42e3ba69c6537e0bdb8f681a149d9664.PNG

Thank you Henry for the manual link, much appreciated.

I also contacted Meta35. With the MF-28 installed on the F5, you can indeed record the date/time stamp each frame was taken within the F5 internal memory along with the default exposure data the F5 already captures. Meta35 is also designed to extract all this data from the camera at a later date and to write all this metadata to the scanned image file.

The screen image above was kindly sent to me by Meta35 last night...

So yes, what i want to do is possible albiet rather expensive (MF-28 back and Meta35)....the benefit is that i dont need to keep remembering to write all this stuff down in my note books out in the field....i always seem to lose the damn pencil anyway

Thank you for all the replies. Once all the kit arrives and i have had a chance to have a fiddle with it all i'll post some notes on the experience....if anyone is interested.

Again, thanks.

Somewhere in a box I have the old "Getting the Most from your Nikon F5" VHS tape and now remember a segment showing it hooked up to a chunky laptop.

I hadn't heard of Meta35 until this thread - given that you can hardly give away a '90s AF camera it's nice that someone has made them usable to their fullest extent again.

Eric Sande

• 1 month later...
[ATTACH]1184515[/ATTACH]

Thank you for all the replies. Once all the kit arrives and i have had a chance to have a fiddle with it all i'll post some notes on the experience....if anyone is interested.

Again, thanks.

well, sorry for the delay..... ok the MF-28 is now on the F5 - had to wait to finish a roll before attaching. So all good. set the time and date on the MF28. Magic.

Shot of few test shots. Hooked up the camera to the META35 software on my Mac and lo and behold was able to extract all the shooting data AND the frame capture date and time into a standard "" delimited text file. Open this file using excel and you get a nice little spreadsheet of the data. All good. Impressed and happy.

Question for those who may have used the MF-28 before. I set the date and time into the MF-28 before I loaded the test roll of film. when I loaded the film and closed the back again the time and date reset to the default date and time 1996-01-01.

I don't have the original Nikon user manual for the MF28 only the pages at the MIR website. Is this normal behaviour...seems odd if it is.... The MF28 appears to work fine, LCD is bright and all expected data fields are present etc, but having to set the date/time for each new roll is a PITA I must confess...

any insights would be appreciated.

p.s yes fresh batteries in the MF28 and 75% charge in the F5 batteries so don't think this is the issue.

Thanks

Wouldn't it have been easier to simply snap another picture at the same location on your phone?

Digital image EXIF data can do all that you've described and more.

Maybe the battery contacts in the MF-28 are a bit loose or corroded and power is momentarily lost when you press on the back to close it?

Question for those who may have used the MF-28 before. I set the date and time into the MF-28 before I loaded the test roll of film. when I loaded the film and closed the back again the time and date reset to the default date and time 1996-01-01.

I don't have the original Nikon user manual for the MF28 only the pages at the MIR website. Is this normal behaviour...seems odd if it is.... The MF28 appears to work fine, LCD is bright and all expected data fields are present etc, but having to set the date/time for each new roll is a PITA I must confess...

any insights would be appreciated.

p.s yes fresh batteries in the MF28 and 75% charge in the F5 batteries so don't think this is the issue.

Thanks

I can't imagine that's normal behaviour. The CR2025 cells ought to keep the clock running (and the data preserved) even when the back is detached. Presumably the MF28 battery gauge shows 'full' with your fresh button cells?

Wouldn't it have been easier to simply snap another picture at the same location on your phone?

Digital image EXIF data can do all that you've described and more.

Maybe the battery contacts in the MF-28 are a bit loose or corroded and power is momentarily lost when you press on the back to close it?

Thanks Joe, yup probably would be just as easy to use my mobile phone!

But with the MF28 and the Meta35 software I can get the shooting data and capture time in a nice format in the one file. Once the roll is done and images scanned I can then use the same Meta35 software to merge that data file (plus some other metadata that I can add manually into the file) into the scanned image files' EXIF data fields.

Previously I used a pencil and notepad and manually updated the images. Didn't like that process and I was always losing pencils or forgot to update the notebook !

:-)

I can't imagine that's normal behaviour. The CR2025 cells ought to keep the clock running (and the data preserved) even when the back is detached. Presumably the MF28 battery gauge shows 'full' with your fresh button cells?

Richard,

I didn't think so either. They were fresh batteries, well , they were in a new pack with a decent expiry date. However, looking at the battery meter today after getting home from work, I do note the MF28 is reporting only 50% charge remaining...mmmm... maybe the batteries are shot. The LCD is still nice and bright but will explore that idea further. Will clean the contacts a bit with a fibre glass brush too - the MF28 probably not been used for some time before i got it..contacts might need brightening up as someone mentioned earlier.

ta :-)