Nikon live view settings - D7000 and D7200

Ian Rance

Any help with this would be appreciated. With the D7000 in

manual mode, the brightness of the live view screen is

approximately that of the final exposure, however on the D7200

the camera completely ignores the manual controls and give a

sort of fixed overall correct exposure which is a bit useless as it

makes for some parts of the image many stops over exposed and

impossible to view. Even exposure competition has no effect.

Do these two preview methods have two different names? Thanks

for any input.

<p>Being able to over-ride the "WYSIWYG" preview (as per the D7000) is useful when using flash. Otherwise you're often left trying to focus or compose on an impossibly dim screen. Each mode of operation has its advantages and drawbacks. I don't think they have separate names.</p>

<p>Thanks Joe. Is there any way of making the D7200 do an exposure preview as per manual mode like the D7000? I was doing some photographs of the moon and even with 1000th dialed in on manual mode the moon was so bright all I saw was a burned fuzzy white ball. I tried spot meter, pressong the OK button, searching in the menu - nothing seemed to help. I dimmed the screen, but all I got then was a dimmer burned out white ball. With the D7000 I am even able to focus on craters on the moon - its like a telescope.</p>

<p>I can't answer that at the moment Ian. My D7200 isn't back from repair yet. It's supposed to arrive in the next couple of days. I was surprised to find that the manual is almost totally lacking in details about LV operation in stills mode - while there's an entire section devoted to Movie Live View operation. Huh! What's that all about? It is primarily a still camera, right?</p>

<p>I've just found a cryptic reference in the manual: "...exposure compensation can be set to values between -5 and +5 EV, but only values between -3 and +3 can be previewed in the monitor." - That's on p.110 of the paper manual under the heading "Exposure Compensation (Live View)". It would seem to indicate that Live View is capable of showing the effect of changing the exposure. Also, I'd have thought that using spot metering would definitely help in the case of your moon exposures.</p>

<p>Anyhow, it looks as if finding a preview option (if there is one) is down to experimentation. Have you tried the preview button? Pressing the centre button on the joystick?</p>

<p>BTW. While reading the manual (all I can do while my camera's away) I came across the fact that you can select a custom white-balance in Live View by placing a little rectangle over an area that should appear white or neutral. Neat! That's described on pp 124-126.</p>

<p>Joe, you found the same problem as me - absolutely no info on stills photo live view in the manual. I think that is an error - they must have forgotten.<br>

I tried all metering modes, pressing the centre of the joystick and the exposure compensation. None affected the image at all - the moon resolutely remained a featureless white blob with blooming around it from the massive exposure error. I have been doing some online rummaging and may have found the answer. I'll report back later.</p>

<p>On the D3200 and D7100, no changes to the aperture or shutter speed will show in Live View in any mode, and whatever aperture was set before entering LV is the one used by the viewer's internal meter. If the aperture is out of that meter's range, the view will be wrong, but if it is in range, the viewer's meter will adjust. </p>

<p>The only setting which actually shows change in LV is the exposure compensation setting, which directly operates on the meter, but its starting point is the existing LV image, so what will be shown is relative change. So, for example, if you open LV with an aperture of F32 when the scene calls for F 2.8, the image will be dark even after you choose the correct aperture. Adding three stops of compensation will make the image three stops less dark. It will not show the three stops of overexposure that will occur to the image shot. If you start with a properly metered Live View image, exposure compensation may provide useful information. </p>

<p>On the D7100, (and I suspect on the 7200 as well) it appears that Preview does not work at all in Live View. Nothing happens. Nor is this documented, as far as I can see. </p>

Thanks Matthew, that pretty much confirms what I thought. I

understand why this method would work in other modes apart from

M but it would be nice to have the choice. The D7000 offers this,

why not the newer models. Perhaps this is an oversight. Nikon

have not replied to me yet.