round lense that I can use outdoors and indoors and all the rigors that

wedding photography will throw at me. I have narrowed it down to three lenses

to chose from:

Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom Nikkor Lens

Nikon 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF AF-S Zoom Nikkor Lens

Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S VR Zoom Nikkor Lens

Which do you recommend, and if none of the three above, which one can you

suggest that will be a great all rounder for me. They are expensive and I can

unfortunately only afford just the one at this time....

I just cant decide and also do not have the experience to make a good decision

here on my own - help please!

I won't get into it too much but after reading your last line do you really want to put someones most important day in your hands?

I would get the 17-55DX as an all arounder it covers large groups and can get tight-superb all around lens better than your other choices. The 70-200VR would be my next choice or even the 80-200 2.8 with a monopod is about half the price or less used.

If money weren't an issue I would go with the 17-55 2.8 and the 70-200 2.8....

If money is an issue, as it is mine, you could consider 3rd party lenses.... I'm quite a fan of Sigma myself. For events, my Sigma 20-40 f/2.8 EX DG, and my Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG HSM see a lot of use.....

17-55 is the best of the zooms.

The 28-70 was incredible! However, too long on a cropped body. Terribly difficult to shoot groups with that lens.

17-35, only played with it a couple of times, but it lacked the telephoto qualities of the 17-55.

17-55 is hands down the best of the three short zooms.

Longer glass, I always opted for the speed of f/1.4 or f/1.8 and the 85mm f/1.4 is in a class by itself. The 135mm f/2 is great.

Can't speak for the 70-200 but used the 80-200 a couple of times and it is cheaper and just about can't be beat for the price.

• 3 weeks later...
Im a combat photographer for the united states army with seven years experience. I know wedding photography is a far cry from combat but gotta do something when I get out. Anyway, can't really afford a 17-55 lens at this point. What would be a good substitute? Thanks, brad.

"(I) can't really afford a 17-55 lens at this point. What would be a good substitute?"

I sold an editorial photographer friend of mine the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [iF]. He's been pleased with the build quality and optics of the lens, which retails for $439 after rebate (compared to $1,200 for the Nikon 17-55mm DX):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=12041&A=details&Q=&sku=423716&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

Here's a review of the Tamron lens by p.net's own Bob Atkins:

http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/reviews/tamron_17-50_review.html

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

<p><strong>"Is there a huge difference between the 17-55mm and the 18-55mm? The price range is huge!"</strong></p>

<p>Let's say "substantial" rather than "huge:"</p>

<p>1. The build quality of the 17-55mm f/2.8 DX Nikkor is substantially better than that of an 18-55mm kit lens.</p>

<p>2. The 18-55mm has an aperture that floats from f/3.5 to f/5.6. There are times at a wedding when you need to be able to shoot wide open at a reasonably fast aperture and get good sharpness in the corners of your images, as well as low vignetting in the corners. The 17-55mm f/2.8 allows you to do that.</p>

<p>3. The overall image quality produced by the 17-55mm will be noticeably better than images shot with the 18-55mm kit lens. Certainly, the 17-55mm retails for about 14X more than the 18-55mm kit lens. Images taken with the 17-55mm will not be 14X better than images taken with the 18-55mm.</p>

<p>That said, as I've observed before, whether you're buying cars or clothes or stereo equipment or guns or camera equipment, as the price increases geometrically, quality will only increase arithmatically. If you want the best of anything, you'll pay a premium.</p>