Nikon lens to Canon body converter?

dave_dube

Yes. Such adapters have been available for over 10 years, though they're now a lot cheaper than they used to be!

See http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/eosfaq/manual_focus_EOS.html

You're looking at a price of around $20 for a low end item to maybe $80 for a premium version. The more you pay the better the machining and quality of the finish, but the $20 versions work fine. You can even get them with electronics which allow the focus confirmation of the EOS body to operate (not AF, but the manual focus "green dot").

Two types are available. No focus chip is about $20. With Focus chip is about $75. All F-mount should work, Non-AI, AI, AIS, AF. The only type that does not work are G lens and those that can blocks the mirror on a 5D. Old super wide Lens that require mirror lock-up also doesn't work.

All the adapated lens is is a chunk of glass held in the right place in front of the camera. Everything else (focus and aperture control) is up to you.

The AI, AIS and AF Nikkors I have all fit well on my 10D and Elan IIe. I sold my Nikon 20mm f3.5 UD (way before AI) because while it fit my Elan IIe film camera perfectly it did not fit on my 10D. It had a much larger tab (chunk of metal) than any of my other lenses and would not fit into the body housing. I would simply have cut it off but that would have been quite a job so I sold it for about the same that I bought it for. I suspect it would have been fine on a full frame DSLR with it's larger mirror box.

<laugh>

I wasn't expecting electronics to suddenly work where there are none, or for the body to control the aperture. Come on guys, I was born at night, but not LAST night!

The reason I am asking if there is an adapter for the 30 year old all manual Nikkors is because some have a rather pronounced tab that juts inward... well, some do and some don't.

For example, I have 3 Nikkor 50mm lenses. All 3 have cleats on the side of the barrel for the aperture indicating prong on an older classic Nikon body.

But all three are different in the back lens mount. The cuts and convolutes on the rearmost black back ring are different. I never have been able to memorize the differneces between Non-AI and AI, let alone all the other varieties that Nikon has produced.

50mm 1.4 Nikkor-S Auto Nippon Kogaku Japan Ser# 725xxx

Thin SHORT black curved back part that pokes into mirror box.

(My first and oldest lens, all metal, black scalloped metal focusing ring, silver main and extending barrels)

50mm 3.5 Micro-Nikkor-P.C. Auto Nikon Ser# 769xxx

Thin LONG black curved back part that pokes into mirror box.

(Macro lens, all metal, knurled metal focusing ring, silver main barrel and black extending barrel)

50mm 1.4 Nikkor Nikon Ser# 4011xxx

THICK LONG black curved back part that unlike the other lenses is even with the rear element, plus there is an L stepped tab directly opposite the thick curved black part, which pokes into mirror box.

(Normal lens, all metal, knobby rubber focusing ring, silver main barrel and black extending barrel, my newest Nikkor lens, but I've still had it for decades).

I thought the EOS nikon adaptors might only be for the fitment of newer Nikon lenses that had physically simpler electronic interfaces, and therefore didn't have all these weird thick and thin, long and short, curved black machined protrusions to mechanically communicate with the older Nikon bodies. So, these protrusions are not a problem?

Robyn, it might be a little more useful to start your own Post asking the question(s) that you would like to address ~ Thanks!<P>Thanks guys, that's exciting. Not perfect but better than nothing. So, the focus confirmation works pretty well from experience or just documentation? Wouldn't want to spring for the electronics if it's too marginal.<P>Regards, Dave

You can check if the AF confirmation is satisfactory to you by using a Canon lens on the manual focus setting. It behaves the same way as a Nikon/Pentax/Whatever lens with an adapter that has the electronics in it. Most people think it's fine, but some don't like it.

The other option is to get a third party view screen that has a split image area in the middle. Most, if not all, Canon EOS cameras have easily removable view screens. Even the ones that Canon says don't.

Just doublechecked - my Nikkor 50 1.4 S (1042xxx), fits cleanly on an EOS 650. This is my oldest Nikkor (circa 1970? - I've owned it since '73) lens.

I've never had a clearance problem on any MF nikkor, several that predate multi-coating (no -c on them) including the 28 3.5 and 80-200 4.5.

I have a CameraQuest adapter that seems to work OK in manual, with my Nikon manual AI & AIS lenses, 28 AI, 55 AIS, 105 AIS, 35-105 AIS. I usually focus wide open then stop down to where I want and shoot. I have used the 35-105 reversed for some very good extreme macro shots, but the lens is very close to the subject, making lighting a bit difficult. It meters pretty darn good on the 20D. I did pay quite a bit more than $80 for it from CameraQuest, but it is very well made. I believe you can find & read about it @ ( www.cameraquest.com ) ?

JoeR

Two Nikon Non AI, AI, Ais mount adapter options:

Cameraquest $175 plus delivery

Jinfinance at ebay $9.95 plus $10 delivery = $20

I own several Jinfinance adapters and remain quite happy paying $9.95 "buy it now" for each one. Just buy one and try it out for your self. Then if you like it and want it to do more then buy autofocus confirmation version for $75 plus delivery. This $75 price will likely drop as its just a simple chip installed on the very same $9.95 retail adapter and many different sellers are offering them thesedays. I've seen confirmation adapters as low as $50, though $75 is the current high end retail at ebay USA.

Neither Cameraquest or Jinfinance sell autofocus confirmation adapters.

Your money your choice: $9.95 or $175.

Lindy