Nikon L37C 77mm UV filter

Rick Waller

Actually, yes I am. I own several 77mm UV filters in addition to the Nikons (B+W and Hoya Super MC) and I find that the Nikon is the most neutral color of all I own.

I have not tried the Heliopan, but I had a bad experience several years back with several Heliopan polarizer filters (quality control issues) and have never gone back.

While I generally love B+W filters (I own many like 81 and 82 series and polarizers) - I do not care for their version of the UV haze.

Since Nikon has standardized on 77mm as their filter size for the larger lenses, I can't see why this filter would be discontinued. This is more likely a reflection of "post-Christmas depletion" - they got sold out for Christmas.<p>There's a page here somewhere by Bob Atkins concerning UV filters that shows that the B&W UV actually doesn't filter out a lot of UV. The best was the Tiffen Haze 1. He didn't test the Nikon UV filter however.

Try a Canon one. Even the most die-hard Nikon fan would probably admit that Canon optics are pretty good. Filters all use the same thread.

I have a Canon 77mm double element screw-in close-up lens for my 80-200 f2.8 and it works fine. Regards, Ross

"The reason you can't locate the L37C reference is simply because Nikon replaced it with the NC model. So look for NC, or CP-15 for the exact model in 77 size."

Perhaps that is why I can't find the UV version. Still - odd that they don't have a UV version. I will check with Nikon.

Thanks to all.

Oh - and Ross - I have no problem with Canon filters. I own and love the Canon 77mm closeup filter. It is sensational - VERY sharp, especially with digital captures where there are no "outside edges" to lose sharpness in.

Just another example of how Nikon corporate leaves us died in the wool Nikon fans scratching our heads. Why in the world would NIkon scrap the UV filter that so many know and love, yet not make a closeup diopter and force their customers to buy from the competition?

I do love my Nikon gear, but their corporate policies just continue to astonish me. (don't even get me started on the quality of their web site - I have never seen such a gargbage site. If you type in "L37C" in the search box on Nikonusa.com, you get about 30,000 hits - NONE of them having anything whatsoever to do with filters!)