Nikon introduces the new D5200 DSLR today

CvhKaar

<blockquote>

<p>Good addition, but not for semi-pro or serious amateurs</p>

</blockquote>

<p>And why not? Light, small, competent... might make an excellent backup body; for serious amateurs, it does not look like a camera that will hold you back a whole lot (except for the viewfinder and AF-S-only restriction maybe, the size/weight is a personal preference more).<br>

Puzzling release though: it moves the D5200 up quite a bit in competence; what does that say about a possible D7100? And that will affect for sure whether that D400 will ever see the light of day or not. Time will tell, but I have to say the specs of this one surprise me quite a bit.</p>

<p>£719 body only and £819 with the usual 18-55mm. </p>

<p>It's pretty much a higher-res D7000 but with only AF-S lens capability.</p>

<p><strong>"...but not for semi-pro or serious amateurs..." </strong>Who then, complete beginners? That price tag is a little high for that market....what does that equate to, about $1200??</p>

<p>It also puts the D3200 in an odd place.</p>

<p>Maurice, with them moving the D5200 this far upmarket in capabilities, I believe that the D7100 could add enough features that it makes the need for a D400 redundant. Give the D7100 the 51-point AF, and a better buffer, and voila, no need for a D400! That would seem to go in line with Nikon's numbering scheme anyway. As I said in another thread, they just need to look at the a77 and make sure that the D7100 competes favorably with it.</p>

<p>I use a D3100 in my pro work when I carry three lenses. The D7000 & 16-85 for 80% of the shots,, On my right side. The D300 & 105 VR 15% for sniping across the room and portraits. and the 3100 & Sigma 10-20 5% for super wide shots on my left. It is light and fits in a fanny pack holster and has a high IQ. I do not need rapid fire for super wide or even 100% viewfinder. As well, it can be a backup for the other 2 cameras. With a SB 600, (older 800 in bag, slightly damaged but still works) I can cover most events I am hired for.<br>

So the 5200 should be a very usable camera in a pro setup.</p><div>00b09H-502689684.JPG.fa550c1c432873135960e10d37ce5431.JPG</div>

<p>Maurice--<br>

I've been taking photos pretty much every day for over a decade. I sell the shots to magazines, calendar companies, and do contract work locally. In the past about a quarter of my income came from photo sales to stock agencies. By the end of this year I will have photo'd five weddings for $$. I'm certainly not claiming to be a pro, but I think I can make a case I'm a "serious amatuer." That said, I honestly don't think the camera makes much difference at all in 90% of what I shoot. The less it costs, the more $$ there will be in my pocket. I've been using the D5100 for most of my digital shooting since June, including most of one wedding. I will likely buy a D5200 if the ISO 1600 looks as good from it as it does from the D5100. For me, that's the big question. I find the swing out LCD quite useful for many creative shots. The only thing the D5100 does not have that I really want is a port to plug in my remote triggers, so I can fire two or three cameras at once, from a distance. For most of the past 25 years I've done photography my strategy has been to have first class lenses, first class tripod, and then plug a midpriced camera into that system as new ones become available. Buying cameras such as the N6006, N80, D5100 is a very efficient use of money as the value is high and you don't have much money tied up in camera bodies (which lose value FAST!) Ideally, I would have a D400 for sports/nature and a D5200 for everyday shooting and travel.<br>

I have absolutely no doubt I'll be able to take great shots with a D5200. For that matter, I've sold shots I took with my 1959 Kodak Brownie, a $5 toy camera. It ain't the camera that matters.</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>It is strange the the D5200 is announced on election day in the US. I just checked with Nikon USA, as the D5200 is somehow not on Nikon USA's web site, but it is on Nikon Japan's web site. Essentially Nikon is not selling the D5200 in the US until next January.</p>

<p>The following link is Nikon Japan's D5200 announcement: <a href="http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/1106_dslr_01.htm">http://www.nikon.com/news/2012/1106_dslr_01.htm</a></p>

<p>P.S. I just checked Nikon Canada's web site. Concerning DSLRs, it looks just like Nikon USA's web site. Essentially the D5200 "does not exist yet" in North America.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I honestly don't think the camera makes much difference at all in 90% of what I shoot.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Kent, that may well be true for what you shoot.</p>

<p>In my case, depending on the subject matter, the camera can make a huge difference in what I shoot. But I shoot a lot of wildlife action, some sports, and some low light events. Therefore, the capability of the AF system, frame rate, and low-light performance all show up in my images frequently.</p>

<p>Call me obscure, but I'm waiting to see whether it has 14-bit NEFs (and see whether the sensor really is an improvement over the D7000's, and whether the D3200 was artificially crippled down to 12-bit).</p>

<p>I was vaguely tempted by the D3200 to complement my D800, as a way of getting a little more reach from my longer (and macro) lenses when I need it. I suspect a D7100 or D400 is going to be outside the price range I'd find justifiable, although I'll be holding on a bit for the price to drop on the D5200 anyway. The autofocus and metering upgrades make the new release a bit more tempting than the D3200 was.</p>

<p>I wasn't expecting this to get the D7000's autofocus. Speculatively, I'll be interested to see whether there's a D7100 which is a D5200 in a D7000 body (extra controls, AF motor, aperture feeler, pentaprism, possibly 6fps) and a D400 (now, to me, looking more likely to have the 24MP sensor if it's okay in low light, bigger body, 51-point AF, dual card slots, 8-10fps), or whether Nikon will amalgamate the two systems, especially by giving a D7100 the 51-point AF system. It might be interesting to see whether a future D400 has an integrated portrait grip, for those who like DX for reach rather than body size. Interesting times...</p>

<p>Shun--<br>

I don't shoot a lot of sports, and most of my wildlife is stationary. I do shoot at night a LOT though. In winter I mostly shoot at night since it gets dark around 5 PM here. I've had no trouble at all using vintage 1930s camera gear and ISO 400 film. Or, ISO 25 film and Civil War vintage camera gear for that matter. It's just a matter of taking what you have and making it work for you. </p>

<p>Strange that Nikon would not release a D5200 in North America before Thanksgiving. My assumption is they just can't supply it. And, where was the Nikon rumor site on all of this?</p>

<p>Kent in SD</p>

<p>Wouter, Kent, .. I am not a pro but I won't buy that camera. I am entitle to my opinion, am I not? For you it could be a great back up camera, for me it won't. I do agree it is not about cameras, but then if I ever need a back up camera, it will my D300 and the D400 or the D7100 ( if they fix the buffer problem ) will be my main camera, so I should go down in the ladder to the bottom of a D5200 when I can keep my D300 as a backup ? <br>

Shun already gave you Kent, a good answer. Perhaps if you want to shoot sport photography, then because cameras are not important in your concept, why don't you show us how good can you do a sport photography with a D7000 shooting in RAW at full speed ? Or how good can you do to shoot a wildlife with a D5200 and a 400 mm f/2.8 lens attached to it ? <br>

That is why we have plenty of options for you to choose the camera that fit your photography style and which one you are going to keep as a backup camera. BTW, to be honest, I don't think there will be a pro keeping this camera as a backup especially if the D7100 or the D400 are created. Any of those cameras should be much better than the D5200 as a backup for a pro that shoot with the D3 series or D4. I would ! </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Essentially Nikon is not selling the D5200 in the US until next January.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Indeed weird - missing out on all the Xmas action! Maybe NikonUSA has too many 5100 to move?</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Puzzling release though: it moves the D5200 up quite a bit in competence; what does that say about a possible D7100? And that will affect for sure whether that D400 will ever see the light of day or not. Time will tell, but I have to say the specs of this one surprise me quite a bit.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Pretty much the first thoughts that crossed my mind when I saw the D5200 specs. So far, the vari-angle LCD seemed to have been the major difference between the D3000/D5000 and D3100/D5100 - but now there is a bigger gap between the D3200 and the D5200. The D7200 will certainly retain the in-camera AF motor and the ability to meter with non-chipped lenses. Might get an upgrade to 51-point AF. The D400 will have all that plus more.</p>

<p>I actually see the opening of a gap between the D3200 and D5200 as an indication of the upcoming DX mirrorless that will "replace" the D3200 eventually.</p>

<p>The appeal of the D5000/5100/5200 series may be lost on many people in this forum, but for me it's right in my wheelhouse. Photography is strictly a hobby and my budget is limited, yet I’ve been an SLR and DSLR user for over 30 years. I consider myself an ‘advanced amateur’, having cut my teeth on an EM when I was a teenager and gradually working my way up to a used N90s. While the D40 was an excellent introduction into the digital SLR realm, I quickly bumped up against its limitations and built-in restrictions and feel that the 3100 and 3200 are similarly restrictive despite their impressively advanced performance and features. I love my D5100 - as Thom Hogan alluded to in his review, it's 'just right' for someone like me who is looking for greater control and performance while on a budget. I'm glad to see the D5200 and I hope there is always a place in Nikon's DSLR lineup for this market segment.</p>

<p>Current UK prices would point to a price point for the D5200 with 18-55 here in the US of $1100-$1200 - right up there with the D7000. That would push a D7000 successor towards $1500 and a possible D400 towards $1800. But the D5200 would cost twice as much as the D3200 - that's a big price gap.</p>

<p>Biggest surprise for me today is the Canon 24-70/4 IS USM - for $1499!!! Certainly a way to escalate prices.</p>

<p>Where are good DX prime lenses?</p>

<p>I doubt Nikon would release D7100 or D400 (and I am not interested in those) since that end of the market would probably gravitate towards D600.<br>

Essentially the 24MP upcount is for the (rare) serious photographers like Kent who want this as backup and more towards general consumers who like the Nikon name and can say "wow it has 24 MP" and the 18-55 is the only lens they would likely get.<br>

Essentially at least in the US, mirrorless apparently is *yet* not as popular as DSLR and this move allows Nikon to up the ante.<br>

(I personally might get the XE-1 if the 18-55 reviews show it is very good. That way I will have a good light kit. Will still keep the D7000 with the 35 mm)</p>

<p>I could go thru my prev posts, I predicted the D3200 would set the baseline and how we had the D800 and then the D600. Get them hooked in for the bodies and get them hooked in for life ... (with the lenses that's been price skyrocketed). I'm over the hype now, I still have a D70 that I used on a tripod mainly. I'll wait for the next entertaining media release when the 40MP comes out ..... ;-)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>is on Nikon UK but the release of the associated WiFi Radio gear that appears on the Dutch site is not..</p>

</blockquote>

<p>MM that is not a surprise .. these devices use radio frequencies, and the UK have alwatys had some isiues with this kind of thing , and always have had their own policies on licencing those....</p>

<blockquote>

<p>actually see the opening of a gap between the D3200 and D5200 as an indication of the upcoming DX mirrorless that will "replace" the D3200 eventually.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>mm Gotta feeling that the next Nikon Mirrorless will be the replacement of the D300 / D300S, as a preliminary for the Pro market full frame mirrorless. I think that all mechanics will be phased out in camera's eventually. but that is just my "crystal Sphere story"... :-)</p>