Nikon Introduces Mirrorless Z System

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ShunCheung, Aug 23, 2018.

1. If I want a mirrorless perhaps I would buy the Z7.

2. Both cameras have the Fn1 and Fn2 buttons on the side of the lens mount.

3. I am happy with one card slot and am glad it is XQD. My concern is whether the AF system will match that of the D 500 and D 810-D850 for action, birds in flight type shooting. Reading the posts here so far about frames per second makes me pause about whether either the Z6 or Z7 will meet the needs of sports/action oriented nature photographers. If I were to purchase a Z6 or Z7 why would I want to get a battery pack? If I want small and light I want to keep it small and light. My big concerns are fps, buffer capabilities and AF.

4. 2 batteries for 1.8X the shots.... work that out!

5. To me. It is a full frame camera. Like the Sony FF, there will be customers who go for a FF or a APS-C sensor camera. I think it is for those who want a mirrorless camera that feels like a dSLR.

For those who do street, vacation, travel type of photography. Nikon's only option is the Z6 or their DX dSLR the DX body weighs just as much as the Z6 right. Both which are on the larger size compared to other offerings on the market. I wonder what would happen to those users.

I feel this mirrorless camera caters to that dSLR user. It is a larger full frame and nothing else. Yeah .. what would happen to other users and Nikon's DX customers, would those customers continue to be satisfied with DX dSLRs.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  6. Kai Wong on YouTube says the Z7 weighs 675g. The Sony A7r3 on B&H says 653g.

7. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Actually, the fact that it will take all of my lenses, makes it pretty interesting. If I weren't awash in cameras of numerous types...

8. I don't have that much lenses. With my camera club most people don't have much either. There is a old timer who shoots b/w film with a Leica M3 I think, no light meter he only has 5 lenses. With the digital guys (most), they generally only have 3 or 4 or maximum 5 lenses. Those who have that 300mm or 500mm or that 14mm are the outliners. I know no one that has Ai/AiS lenses at least they are not used often, including field trips that I have attended with them.

When I evaluate systems, so much good stuff second hand out there and that 2 or 3 lenses in all doesn't cost so much now.

Sandy Vongries likes this.
  9. In fact AI/AI-S should be fine because they don't AF with any camera any way. As far as metering? I don't really need it.

10. Hmm... that would be about 24oz. The D500 (which I love) weighs 30oz (just 6 oz more) with a battery and memory card (according to B&H specs). The Olympus EM1 Mark II (which I use for lightweight) is 20 oz with battery and memory card.

These may be unfair comparisons as the Z7 has desirable properties that other cameras lack, and vice versa. Ultimately, one needs to make a decision based on one's need and want.

11. Here's a handson review. It looks attractive. Link.

12. How does the Z7's 8K chip make 4K video? Someone implied that it bins the whole FX area down to 4K, someone else thought it effectively DX crops so only records the middle? Surely it's the former?

13. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

The D5 and D500 make a center 3840x2160 crop to capture 4K video. In the case of the D5, it is very roughly a center DX crop, although obviously 4K video has a 16:9 aspect ratio instead of 3:2 for DX.

On the D850, it resamples the entire horizontal width of the sensor and scales it down to 3840 pixels across. I am quite sure that the Z7 does the same.

mike_halliwell likes this.
  14. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

Nikon is showing mock-up models of the 24-70mm/f2.8, 14-30mm/f4 and the 58mm Noct lenses. At least according to the mock up, the 14-30mm/f4 does not have a bulging front element. That is good news, although I am quite sure that the 14-24mm/f2.8 cannot take conventional filters.

15. Nikon's brochure implies that both do full-frame 4K. Hmm.

I guess the issue here is the term "full-pixel readout" which is only available in a DX crop in the Z7 whereas the Z6 uses full frame, full-pixel readout to generate 4K. Perhaps there is line-skipping to achieve the full-frame 4K recording in the Z7 and not on the Z6. This could mean the full-frame 4K footage from the Z6 is better quality than from the Z7.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    mike_halliwell likes this.
  16. No manual online yet, but what's listed in the specifications doesn't impress. For example:
    Mechanical shutter X-synch speed - 1/200th. A bit poor.
    Electronic shutter - no details.
    Noise level - no details.
    Viewfinder eye relief - no details.

I would have expected advantage to be taken of the electronic shutter to provide X-synch at any speed. Without relying on power-losing HSS mode in the flash. Maybe it's implemented and Nikon just forgot to mention it?

Contrary to most opinion; I'm personally not liking the design. The large lump on top makes it look like a hastily converted DSLR, which is probably close to the truth, rather than a mirrorless body designed from the ground up.

17. I am sure the Z7 uses full width 4K video which is good for the shallow DOF as well as making full use of the wide angle lenses. However wouldn't it allow for using only the center 8MP area so you can get an effective 2X digital zoom without the resolution penalty. When you shoot 1080p then you could get even more reach.

18. Does it really matter that much? I would ordinarily agree the flash sync is important but the camera supports radio AWL and the existing WR-R10 and SB-5000 flash system which has auto FP sync. I find it works really reliably and fluidly lets me shoot at e.g. 1/500s with ambient and flash and I don't have to think about it (it does work to 1/8000s but then there is a lot of loss of light; usually 1/500s is sufficient for me). I just got Elinchrom's slower-firing high-speed sync head and this also lets me shoot at any shutter speed (though with output loss obviously, and no TTL in the units that I have). I would expect Z6/Z7 support to be issued in firmware for the Elinchrom and Nikon flashes to work from the get go. There is also the benefit of native ISO 64 in the Z7 which makes it easier to use wide apertures outdoors.

The D850 already has fully electronic shutter available in LV mode. Lack of good autofocus tracking in LV and electronic viewfinder meant it is of limited use on the D850 but the Z6/Z7 should permit this feature to be used in an easier manner. Dpreview estimated 1/15s read time, similar to A7R III.

Obviously, this is something to be tested but there is little reason to assume it is much different from the D750 or D850.

Some early testers report no trouble viewing the corners with eyeglasses. Specifications list 21mm eyepoint.

That's not how it works. Even with the most advanced electronic shutter in the A9, you cannot use it with flash at all, you have to use the mechanical shutter if you want to use flash.

A global shutter would permit flash at any shutter speed but global shutters are expensive, not available in FX format yet, and there is some loss in dynamic range (as there is with the A9 as well, compared to A7 III that has slower read speeds but better DR at base ISO).

I think you have to wait for some years to see that happen, but it may eventually come.

The cross section of the viewfinder hump looks like this:

A closer look at Nikon's new Z 6 and future Z-mount lenses

what they did is add a sophisticated optical system to make the best quality EVF experience available. The viewfinder is reported to be really sharp. This should be good for manual focus etc.

By comparison the cross section with DSLR shows a much simpler optical system after the prism in the D850:

A closer look at Nikon's new Z 6 and future Z-mount lenses

Not similar at all.

The D5 cross section looks like this:

http://i.gzn.jp/img/2016/02/25/nikon-d5-cpplus2016/DSC_1106.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  19. Binning is not a very good way to produce clean video. There are two common alternatives - use all of the pixels in a subset of the sensor (e.g., Super 35), or use the entire width of the sensor and downsample. The last method gives the cleanest video, since staircasing (not a big issue for 4K) and other artifacts can be corrected in the process. The Sony A7Riii uses either method, at your option. We will need to see the full specs for the Z cameras to find out how Nikon handles video.

It's interesting that most cameras will only record 4,2,2 (10 bit), 4K video to an external recorder via HDMI. Not all hard drives will handle that bandwidth, much less CF cards. Plus hard drives with enough capacity are much cheaper than memory cards.

20. I think Nikon should make a mirrorless crop sensor camera for the F mount.