Nikon Introduces Firmware 2.20 for Z6/Z7 with CFx Compatibility

ShunCheung

Version 2.20 is available for both the Z6 and Z7, respectively. It provides CFexpress compatibility. However, initially it is only compatible with Sony CFx Type B cards. Future firmware upgrades will add compatibility with other CFx cards.

However, at least according to B&H's web site, the only CFx cards that are in stock ready to ship immediately are the four SanDisk brands. The Sony CFx cards, among several other brands, are "coming soon." It'll be interesting to see whether after the 2.20 upgrade, the Z6 and Z7 can use SanDisk CFx cards, or we need to wait for further upgrades.

At this point I don't think it is a good idea to buy CFx cards until the dust settles. Since SanDisk has a close relationship with Nikon, I am sure they'll iron out any issues soon.

Firmware upgrades for the D5, D850, and D500 CFx compatibility are forthcoming.

Additionally, there is another firmware upgrade that costs $200 to gain the RAW video output function:

RAW Video Output Function (4K UHD and Full HD): With this upgrade, 12-bit 4K UHD or full-HD RAW video can be recorded to select models of Atomos video recorders connected to a Nikon Z 7 or Z 6 camera via a HDMI connector. As RAW video is not subjected to in-camera processing, all information that is outputted from the image sensor is preserved and can be used later in post-production. The RAW video output upgrade is available now and will require installation by a Nikon Service Center, plus an $199.95 fee will apply.

For additional technical information, equipment requirements and instructions on requesting the RAW video output upgrade, please visit www.nikonusa.com/RAWvideo.

Edited by ShunCheung
  • Like 2

Additionally, there is another firmware upgrade that costs $200 to gain the RAW video output function:

That's just criminal for a software tweak that should have been there all along....:mad:

I've heard tell it's going to be included for free with the 'Filmmaker Kits'

Is this a first for Nikon with 'in-game' purchases??

I have a d850 with card slots for Xqd card and sad cards. Which slot gets used for CF cards?

CF express type B is just a new name for XQD cards. They look the same, have the same size, and use the same PCIe technology, but CFx has multiple PCIe lanes instead of just 1 in XQD.

I have seen some early reports that after the 2.20 firmware upgrade, the Z7 works with SanDisk CFx cards, but they are slower than XQD. Perhaps more firmware fine tune will be necessary.

I expect CFx prices to come down rapidly. I won’t be a pioneer to pay top $ for one to become a beta tester at this point.

P.S. I dislike SD cards, but don’t be sad. :rolleyes:

mmm strange, this CFexpress update only for selected brands..

If manufacterers follow a standard one would say that an update should not be brand selective , but 1 for all ..:(o_O

Standards are just theoretical. A few years ago, Lexar XQD cards worked fine on Nikon cameras but not Sony camcorders. Only Sony XQD cards worked in both.

Now that Nikon firmware is out, the CFx manufactures can tune their cards with Nikon cameras. I would imagine testing has been going on for a while.

I have seen some early reports that after the 2.20 firmware upgrade, the Z7 works with SanDisk CFx cards, but they are slower than XQD. Perhaps more firmware fine tune will be necessary.

Yes, it it also reported that when the camera is turned on, there is a message that the shutter is closed and one needs to press shutter release button to open it. It seems there are some glitches with CFexpress card compatibility. One should probably wait until the dust settles and Nikon releases further FW updates to support more cards. This release seems rushed.

Of course, Nikon do not claim that other CFexpress cards than Sony work yet. However, the Sony cards are not yet available, it seems. Hopefully the performance is better with the Sony CFexpress cards (at least matching XQD performance) and Nikon can sort out the compatibility with Sandisk quickly.

Charging for firmware updates? This seems like a PR error in the making.

It has been speculated that Nikon have to pay license fees for the raw video format they are using. Since most users are not likely to use external recorders for video, it makes sense not to charge everyone for a feature that relatively few people will use. If you plan on using this feature, you have to pay for the upgrade (unless you already have paid for the filmmaker's kit which includes free update to raw video).

Wonder when the Z's will get the Animal-Eye AF?

I am sure eventually but think about how different different species are and how difficult it would be to detect every species' eyes reliably. I am sure cat and dog lovers will happily use animal AF (in cameras made by a certain competitor) but when the number of species gets larger things could be much more difficult.

It has been speculated that Nikon have to pay license fees for the raw video format they are using. Since most users are not likely to use external recorders for video, it makes sense not to charge everyone for a feature that relatively few people will use. If you plan on using this feature, you have to pay for the upgrade (unless you already have paid for the filmmaker's kit which includes free update to raw video).

Ok, that makes sense. If there’s a license fee, better to not charge everybody since this seems pretty specialized.

So, I upgraded my z7 with the new firmware this morning. When the compatible CFE card becomes available, what differences (if any) can I expect compared to the XQD card?

Supposed to be faster but who knows. As far as I am concerned the current XQDs are more than fast enough for my purposes; and the new crop of CFE are confusing at best. So there's no need for the big rush to be a guinea pig.

I was at the Nikon service center this afternoon, and did the 200 euro enabling of prores raw. To me it seems that a kind of software certificate is installed in the camera, and Nikon has to pay a license fee for this. After upgrading the firmware of the Atomos Ninja V to version 10.2 i can create movie material in Prores Raw now. I will experiment with it in the coming days ... i suggest to interested people to careful follow the instructions provided by Nikon in a special publication on this subject. It does work well.... i will test in coming days with the Techart adapter with Sony FE lenses also

So, I upgraded my z7 with the new firmware this morning. When the compatible CFE card becomes available, what differences (if any) can I expect compared to the XQD card?

This is not yet known as I haven't seen any user reports of Sony CFexpress cards (which are the only ones Nikon mention as having been tested and certified to work with the Z6/Z7 new firmware) as these seem to be a product that hasn't yet reached the US or EU markets. I hope Nikon soon issues another firmware update to support Sandisk CFexpress as these are available for purchase and it's a well-known brand that many people are likely to purchase.

Anything is possible really, it could be faster, slower or roughly the same speed as XQD. Theoretically CFexpress cards can be written to at several times the maximum speed of XQD cards, but it's not clear what the performance will be with existing cameras. At the present time I would stick to XQD cards in current Nikons until the dust settles with fully tested CFexpress cards available and bugs worked out.

I agree with Mary that XQD cards are fast enough

I was at the Nikon service center this afternoon, and did the 200 euro enabling of prores raw. To me it seems that a kind of software certificate is installed in the camera, and Nikon has to pay a license fee for this. After upgrading the firmware of the Atomos Ninja V to version 10.2 i can create movie material in Prores Raw now. I will experiment with it in the coming days ... i suggest to interested people to careful follow the instructions provided by Nikon in a special publication on this subject. It does work well.... i will test in coming days with the Techart adapter with Sony FE lenses also

So if your camera needs replacing for some reason, or is reset to factory specs by Nikon for some reason, this license you paid for to give you the right to use this RAW fuction is gone ?

Also it will work only on one camera then, i guess?

Or did you get a registration code which allows you to update any Z-series camera?

Also, why just a firmware update for the Z's and not all of the XQD cameras? Maybe the faster read /write speeds will only benefit video.

Actually Nikon has announced that they will also update the firmware for the D5, D500, and D850 for CFx compatibility. Those are the cameras that are still "current." (Of course the D5 will soon be replaced by the D6.) They are probably still waiting a bit for all the CFx dust to settle, as there are like 10 or so different CFx suppliers and there are going to be various issues.

However, Nikon has not indicated that they will also update the firmware for the D4 and D4s. Those are the only other Nikon bodies that can use XQD/CFx cards.

I doubt that CFx will speed up any one of the current bodies. The up-coming D6 could be a different story. The main advantage is that hopefully CFx prices will come down so that we can use some less-expensive cards.

• Like 1

About in-game enhancements: Nikon D1X had buffer memory upgrade available in early 2000's. I did not have D1X but D1H, so that was not for me.

That option was also available for the initial D3. One could double the memory buffer for something like $500 in an aftermarket upgrade a year later.

One could double the memory buffer for something like $500 in an aftermarket upgrade a year later.

Memory upgrade is a physical thing and, yes, I'd expect to have to pay for that.

As it's a tie-in with another manufacturer to purchase a license, I can understand why it needs to be bought, but it seems a bit steep.