Nikon "Help" worthless

tri-x1

<p>Some time ago I contacted Nikon USA about problem I have had creating dustoff files on the D300. I can create the file and it works with images shot immediately thereafter but usually won't work with image shot even later the same day. Nikon basically repeated what is in the D300 and NX2 manuals, which didn't solve my problem.<br>

Last week I sent Nikon another query on the same subject. In reply they sent me several links to software updates for Capture NX1--not NX2. Besides, I have the latest NX2 updates--and the latest D300 firmware updates.<br>

I pointed out to Nikon Help that Dustoff files created with my D50 even work with images created BEFORE the dustoff file. This suggests that the problem is with the way the D300 creates the files OR how it interacts with NX2.<br>

The bottom line is that the Nikon techs have made no real attempt to solve my problem and appear to be going though the motions.<br>

Very disappointing</p>

<p>I have heard a lot of negative about Nikon Tech support for that reason many folks went Canon way. Nonetheless, I love the feel of Nikon equipment but for tech support more often contact B&H or Adorama, or FocusCamera. They aren't <em>narrowed</em> in their responce to just Nikon and advise on various alternatives when those exist.<br>

Good Luck<br>

Adam</p>

<p>Isn't it so that the D300 has a new sensor cleaner, which rattles the sensor to get rid of dust. This of course means that the dust will not stay whare it was when the image is taken. The D50 did not have that, as far as I remember.</p>

<p>not every response i've gotten from nikon support has been satisfactory -- at least not the first time. if not, i ask again. and i'll keep at it until i'm reasonably satisfied, or figure out something on my own. still, i can look at the history of all my questions, along with nikon's responses, on the USA support site. i must honestly say, i don't feel at all as if they've ever left me twisting in the wind. in fact, after having some conversation with support (always, in my case, via e-mail), i always receive a follow-up message asking if my issue has been resolved. YMMV, as they say, but my experiences have altogether been reasonably productive.</p>

<p>I haven't posed a question to 'em in a few months, but I think that the link I used is this one:</p>

<p>http://support.nikontech.com/app/utils/login_form/redirect/ask </p>

<p>My first impression wasn't positive. I asked a question, and received a response that struck me as inadequate. However, I then politely shared my concerns about the level of support with the tech, and that changed things. He referred my question to another staffer, and I wound up receiving really first rate support afterward. </p>

<p>So: if you think you should be receiving more thorough responses than those you've seen to date, it can't hurt to politely -- I'll emphasize politely -- share that view with them. You might be pleasantly surprised by the result. </p>

<p>(On the other hand: you might not be. I don't know how Nikon divvies up English inquiries among staff worldwide, if staff have been moved around or if other changes have occurred.) </p>

<p>Wayne,<br />On several occasions I called Nikon USA regarding issues with some bodies and lenses, in all cases I discovered that I knew more than the tech support guy on the line. For example I needed to send my D700 body to map a stubborn hot pixel, I was told on the phone that hot pixel was from noise and it was not possible to correct it, although I stressed out the location was fixed and it was independent of ISO/shutter speed, the guy basically had not heard the term "hot pixel" before. I did send my Camera to Nikon for mapping and they did map the hot pixel and now it is gone!<br /><br />Any ways, The reason D300/D700 do not apply dust off data except for the shots taken immediately after the dust reference photo is the sensor cleaning. Nikon in their infinite wisdom decided that every time sensor cleaning is activated the dust pattern will change and thus the reference that was taken before cleaning can no longer be applied. Furthermore there is no option for you to override this "artificial" intelligence in Capture NX2 which is really annoying and renders the "dust off" feature useless. Hopefully Nikon will realize this and update NX2 so any dust reference photo can be applied manually to any photo. If you turn automatic sensor cleaning OFF you will be able to apply the dust reference to all the subsequent photos but that defeats the purpose of sensor cleaning!</p>

<p> </p>

<blockquote>

<p>Nikon must monitor this forum. Right after I posted here I got a message asking me to send a dustoff file so they could analyze it.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I always wonder whether Nikon monitors various forums about Nikon on the internet. There is so much nonsense posted daily out there that it must be very time consuming to read it all, although I would like to think photo.net forums are of higher quality. They have never gotten in touch with me on their own, although photo.net does have a good relationship with them and I occasionally ask them questions.</p>

<p>Wayne, is there any way for you to tell whether Nikon was merely responding to your inquary or it indeed has something to do with this thread?</p>

<p>Cheung:</p>

<p>No way I can tell for sure. All I know is they took about three days to respond to my question and then just posted some irrelevant links to updates. I replied that the answer was no help. Then a few hours later I posted here and shortly thereafter got a more personal response asking me to send a sample dustoff file.</p>

<p>"Any ways, The reason D300/D700 do not apply dust off data except for the shots taken immediately after the dust reference photo is the sensor cleaning. Nikon in their infinite wisdom decided that every time sensor cleaning is activated the dust pattern will change and thus the reference that was taken before cleaning can no longer be applied. Furthermore there is no option for you to override this "artificial" intelligence in Capture NX2 which is really annoying and renders the "dust off" feature useless. Hopefully Nikon will realize this and update NX2 so any dust reference photo can be applied manually to any photo. If you turn automatic sensor cleaning OFF you will be able to apply the dust reference to all the subsequent photos but that defeats the purpose of sensor cleaning!<br>

Arash:<br>

Your explanation makes sense. However I'm almost certain I've had situations where I hadn't cleaned the sensor and it still couldn't find the dust off file. I don't have my D300 set to automatically clean the sensor. I'll have to run a few tests. Still, I would like to have to option to apply the dusoff file to images taken BEFORE the DO file was recorded.</p>

<p>Wayne, it is probably more a coincidence of timing. If they click on your name from a photo.net page and then enter an e-mail via photo.net, there should be an obvious header indicating from which photo.net member the e-mail comes. Photo.net does not give out members' e-mail addresses any more; we used to do that until a year or two ago.</p>

<p>There are a few Nikon USA folks who post to this forum occasionally, such as Michael Rubin who teaches Nikon Capture classes, but they post maybe once or twice a year.</p>

<p>I discovered one of my problems. Didn't realize dustoff was running on my D300 every time I turned it on. Once dustoff runs previous NDF files won't work with any new images. Now I can use the same file for more photographs. Still I wish there was an option either in the firmware or in NX2 to apply a dustoff image to previously recorded images.</p>

<p>hi i only had to read the first line to know where you are going with this. dont you know that tech and customer support are practically worthless and that you usually know more then the tech or cs person. that has been my experience. luckily though i used to be a tech and have a very logical mind so i can solve my technical problems with ease. it is in my personal life where i have problems though. thks, ll</p>

<p>Having owned two Nikons in the past three years..I have called the toll free number on several occasions and always gotten great response. Perhaps my questions have been fairly mundane.and easily answered ..but I have been very pleased with the company and their products.<br>

mary</p>