Nikon FM3A and flash

wally_klimek

Just be careful when using a non/Nikon flash, some older units like my 283 that was made in Japan (now they're made in China) has a very high trigger voltage, 265-VDC when measuring between ground and the synch terminal. Check out this link: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html If you use a flash with more than a 10-Volt trigger you could damage the TTL circuit on the FM3A. You should buy a Nikon dedicated type flash and take advantage of the TTL-OTF flash feature of your camera. The SB-27 is very powerful (about 1.5 stops less than SB-28), has all the functions and features and is fairly small. I picked up a used one for $85 at a show last weekend.

The FM3A doesn't use Nikon's 3D flash technology or matrix-metering flash options; it has a center-weighted meter and uses plain vanilla TTL flash control.

You can use an older Nikon flash and not suffer any loss of features, provided the flash can handle TTL control from the camera.

Manual control and an "auto" setting (where the flash's own sensor determines the flash exposure) also can be very handy.

I use an SB-28, but that's because I also use the flash on an N90s body. It would be overkill, in terms of features, on an FM3A. But if it's priced attractively as a used unit, why not? You might enjoy its prodigious poewr and its very flexible bounce and swivel options.

Have fun,