Nikon FM2 and Canon F1

megan_stone

<p>Megan, it does not sound like you need another camera right now. In that case, why buy a camera so that you have another item to be concerned about while you are on the move?</p>

<p>Both the Nikon FM2 and Canon F1 are classic film SLRs. Used ones should be very easy to find in the UK and other parts of the world. If you really want one, I am sure you can find one easily after you get home.</p>

<p>I see you have a D700: <a href="../digital-camera-forum/00X2km">http://www.photo.net/digital-camera-forum/00X2km</a><br>

Should you want an all-manual film SLR, the FM2n should be a good choice as long as your lenses have an aperture ring.</p>

<p>Then I would say go the the F1. These old Manual focus film cameras can be had for very little $ as others have said. The F1 represents Canon at the top of their game when they made film cameras. Very pleasant camera to use. There is an Olympic version that has the Olympic symbol embossed on it that may be collectable. FM2, very good camera, but nothing special.</p>

<p>There are two Nikon FM2n camera's out there someplace that are very prized collectables. I am not a collector myself. There is a Nikon FM2n Year of the Tiger and a Nikon FM2n Millineum 2000 Dragon. Both of these models are worth a bunch of cash. The only reason I even know about them as I Googled up the FM2n a month ago to learn about the different variants as I was buying one and wanted to know some stuff. I bought a FM2n late model with the aluminum shutter serial #n857xxx. It is in LN- condition and it cost $200.00 with box and manual. I like the camera so much that I am going to use it for at least 80% of my hobby photography. It really added some fun back into the hobby.</p>

<p>Sold in the shop this last week:<br>

1. Black body FM2n, late production, 9+... $750<br>

2. Silver body FM2n, mid production + Beattie screen, 8+... $650<br>

Both sold as backup cameras to pro FX shooters. Definitly not just collectors.<br>

The great thing about the FE/FM series is that you can use every F mount lens ever made, right up till today (gelded lenses excluded...you need an F4 for them.) Put a B2 screen in them and you have the viewfinder of a D3. It makes it hard to go back to a DX camera. <br>

If you have one, look after it and use it to keep all the workings slick. We are seeing renewed interest in film. I've already addressed this in other threads. Digital maybe becoming a tad too difficult for lots of folks who want to learn the art, not be a good computer wizz.</p>

<p>Shadforth, you're not completely right about your lens camera compatibility. The FM and possibly the FE are usable with almost all Nikkors except some intruding wide angles and G lenses. However, I don't believe the later versions of the series (FM2/FE2) are usable with pre-AI lenses, as they don't have a fold away metering tab. Also, G lenses are really only partially usable with the F4 - you cannot select lens aperture from the F4 body, so you're limited to program and shutter speed priority. The F5 and any number of consumer AF SLRs will gice full compatibility with G(elded) lenses.<br>

$750/$650 for an FM2n? Mother of god...</p>

<p>There were 3 versions of the F-1, referred to as the F-1, F-1n, and F-1N(ew), and they came out in 1971, 1976 and 1981 if memory serves me. The F-1n had only a few minor changes from the F-1(original) and they could share most variations of viewfinders and focusing screens. The F-1N is a very different beast. The F-1N upgraded to 1.5 silver batteries and a silicon meter, whereas the first two were mercury batteries and CdS.</p>

<p>As fate would have it, I was able to obtain an F-1n and an F-1N just last month. from my trusted repairman. The F-1n is EX++ and the F-1N is mint and it doesn't appear that it was ever used. With the AE viewfinder on the F-1N, you can have auto exposure in aperture mode. I have had an F-1 original for over 10 years.</p>

<p>Comparing the F-1N with the earlier versions, the major downsides are that MLU was not retained, and there is no way to lock exposure in auto mode.</p>

<p>I put some film through them recently and they are fun to shoot with. I can't give you an accurate price for them because I had the F-1n CLA'd and converted to use modern batteries and I bought some FD lenses also and paid a lump price. I would guestimate the price to be around $200 for the F-1n including CLA and about the same $200 for the F-1N which didn't need a CLA. Don't expect to find cameras in this condition at these prices.</p>

<p>I will include a sample photo taken with an FD 28-85mm lens with Portra 400 NC of an auto dealer in my neighborhood. I live within a short walk of the main Microsoft campus and a few blocks away are a cluster of auto dealerships that sell Rolls, Bentleys, Lamborghinis, BMW, Mercedes, Jaguars, Aston Martins, Porshe and Lotus. They are all clustered together. My status on the food chain is that I drive a 1996 Nissam p/u with 180,000 miles on it.</p><div>00XkWc-305899584.JPG.2d39fa8bd3d06f7ca039b3566c3b7a75.JPG</div>

<p>I bought my FM2n a couple of years ago for less than $200. I also got an FE2. they are both such good cameras and both are worth double what I paid for them.<br>

I also have an F4s with the MF23 back. I just love standing in the midst of all these photographers...we call it the scrum, at events. And for fun firing off about ten shots at once. Just like a machine gun, and a dial for literally everything...no menus to make me get my glasses out for.<br>

The older guys my age just smile and nod their heads, and the younger ones just don't understand. You had to have been a press guy in the film days to apprciate what was in your hands with the F4. But I would not recommend it for the OP here. You need to have a large nostalgia streak like me.</p>

<p>I am normally a Nikon SLR shooter and use a Fuji S Pro that enables me to use Nikkors. However I bought a Canon F-1 a year ago, an original from 1972 and then a Canon F-1n second version, ca. 1977. These are top of the line professional grade cameras that I highly recommend. The one I kept was the second version and it resides nicely with my Nikon F-2 of the same era. Both rugged black beauties, only battery dependent if meter needed, otherwise fullu functional under most any condition!</p>

<p>"1. Black body FM2n, late production, 9+... $750<br /> 2. Silver body FM2n, mid production + Beattie screen, 8+... $650<br /> Both sold as backup cameras to pro FX shooters. Definitly not just collectors.<br /> The great thing about the FE/FM series is that you can use every F mount lens ever made, right up till today (gelded lenses excluded...you need an F4 for them.) Put a B2 screen in them and you have the viewfinder of a D3. It makes it hard to go back to a DX camera."<br>

Don't know where you live but here I've seen almost new FM2s offered for $200-250 go unsold. Here there is no resurgence in film. Quite the opposite. I picked up a nice F2 with F1.4 lens recently for $80. No one except a few dedicated film buffs are looking for film bodies.</p>