(specifically the SB-800 and its advanced features.) Through

reading posts here I have found many positive references to Thom

Hogan?s book ?The Nikon Flash Guide?. When I went to his site I

found a note that stated that the 1st edition does not have

information about the SB-800, only the 2nd edition. When I go to

Amazon I can not tell from their description whether it is the 1st

or 2nd edition. Local book stores don?t have it. Does anyone who

has this book have the ISBN number for the 2nd edition so I can be

sure to get the correct version? Thanks in advance.

Shun. Thanks for the link. I should have browsed more I was just looking at link on the SB-800. I'll mark the page and keep checking for the e-book.

Edward (or anyone) Do you have any other suggestions for a good book on intro flash photography. Here is a snippet of what I would like to do...

I currently have a D100 and one SB-800. I have been reading about the use of multiple SB-800s with the newer Nikon DSLRs (unfortunately not the D100) as a compact portable flash system. Before buying more SB-800s/SB-600s and a newer DSLR (D70s, D2X or phantom D200) I would like to find out exactly how the system works (what I would need, its limitations etc.) I am not a professional and do not plan to be, so the price of battery powered strobes is a little beyond my wallet.

Thom's books do indeed include the material presented in the Nikon manuals. However, where many (most?) Nikon manuals, especially those on flash, are -- to state it politely -- difficult to understand, Thom presents the information in a much more coherent fashion, and provides many practical tips and real world examples. I highly recommend his publications.

Tim,

I second everything Ron said. I purchased Thom's actual printed book when I got my N80 and SB50. I think it was worth the price just to get an english oriented translation of the Nikon manuals. I would recommend this book even though it stops short of your actual equipment because I feel that I learned enough from it to be able to read and understand the the flash instructions that come with more modern Nikon equipment (such as the SB-800). Once you understand what Nikon is actually talking about in their manuals, it all makes sense.

In addition to the above comments by Ron and Michael with which I concur, I would also try and get a used copy of a Magic Lantern Guide to a sb-25 or 26 flash written by Moose Peterson. It is an excellent primer on Nikon Flash techniques. Also go to these two links: http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/flash.html

http://www.photosafaris.com/Articles/AShotInTheDark.asp

Joe Smith