Nikon film camera body with depth of field preview

yee_lee1

<p>Would anyone please kindly to recommend few good Nikon "film" camera body with depth of field preview button? <br /> <br />It can be either current new model or much older model.<br /> <br />Would you please also indicate which one will work with Nikon "G" lens for the depth of field preview button and which one will not?<br /> <br />Thank you very much for the help.<br />Yee Lee</p>

<p>The only current model is the F6, but I doubt you want to spend US $2,000+ for a new one.... The rest of the G-compatible bodies are out of production so you'll have to buy used.</p>

<p>The lowest decent film camera with depth of field preview is the N75/F75. They can be purchased used for about US $50. </p>

<p>Next is the N80/F80, which isn't much different but a little bigger.</p>

<p>Then the F100, which is bigger and heavier and has no built-in flash.</p>

<p>Finally, the F5...but that's probably not what you need.</p>

To use with G lenses you need a new-ish camera. Are your G lenses also AF-S and/or VR? Depending on how large, featured and expensive you want the camera to be, some obvious choices would be the F5 or F100 (which work fully with all the lenses since manual focus AI, works with AF-S and VR, but you have to use spot or center weighted metering when using manual lenses), N80/F80 or N75/F75 (works fully with all AF lenses, does not meter with manual focus lenses) or F90/N90 series (lens compatibility is like the F100, but it can't use VR). All those models have a DOF preview button. My personal favorite is the F100.

<p>F4 apparently works with G lenses in certain auto modes, but not manual. The DoF preview + screen/viewfinder of the F4 is quite good in my experience. I know some people hate on it, but the F4s is my favourite camera, bought at least 3 of them. Only other camera I ever bought 3 of was that other dog, the Pentax 67:)</p>

<p>VR doesn't work with F4s though.</p>

<p>But for $200 an F4s (what I paid recently), you can't go wrong:) It is the most beautiful camera to hold I've ever experienced...and a tank.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for the recommendation. I will take a close look at them.<br>

Sorry, I forgot to ask: Do any one of them also have mirror lock up?<br>

Please it keeps coming. It really helps me a lot and I am really appreciating your help. </p>

<p> </p>

<p>I am beginner to the photo world. I know very little about digital, but nothing about film camera or film and I like to get into it. Currently I am looking for low cost older model, but high end model may be few years down the road and like to know now to plan for the future. Sorry for bad English. Thank you all very much for the help.</p>

<p>I just wonder, Is it rare for Nikon film camera body to have the mirror lock up to take photo?<br>

Someone told me long time ago that some of Nikon digital SLR camera body have "mirror lock" for the cleaning the sensor, but not for taking the photo. I am not for sure is this true because I do not have Nikon digital SLR camera body.<br>

Someone also told me some of Nikon digital SLR camera body can’t not activate both the mirror lock up and self timer to take photo at the same time. Only one of the features can be use at a time. I didn’t and can’t confirm this because I never use one or own one of the Nikon digital SLR camera body. <br>

The only reason I bring up this is I like to found out, Is this also true to the Nikon film SLR camera body? Please let me know if any of this is above it true or not true. If any one of you know about it.<br>

My current goal is to get a low cost Nikon film SLR camera body with depth of field and/or mirror lock up. If it can take G lens will be great. If not, it will be fine too. Same for VR, I would like to know which one have one of them or both of feature, but they are not as important to me at this moment as depth of field preview and mirror lock up. <br>

Right I just got a used Nikon N60 film camera body and it do not have either depth of field preview or mirror lock up. I really appreciate all your help so far. Thanks.</p>

<p>Cory, the N75 and N65 can both use VR.</p>

<p>Yee, to get compatibility with G lenses and mirror lockup you's need an F4, F5 or F6. I forgot to mention the F4, it does AF, AF-S and G but does not do VR. All of those have DOF preview.</p>

<p>The F100 doesn't have MLU but it's my favorite anyway. But I bet if I could afford an F6, that would be my favorite. :)</p>

<p>The F5 also has this cool mirror counterweight system that lessens mirror vibration. But I guess they had room to put almost anything inside that huge body.</p>

<p>The F4 would work with G lenses in S an P modes but the MLU function won't work with the G lenses. In fact the MLU function on the F4 won't work with any lenses when in S and P modes. It only work in M and A modes. Most of Nikon film cameras have the MLU function just that with the older ones the MLU function won't work with G lenses.</p>

<p>On the F4, when the mirror is locked up, the auto focus mode and the auto exposure modes (Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Program) do not work. The manual focus mode and the manual exposure mode will work when the mirror is locked up.</p>

<p>When a G lens is mounted on the F4, the Shutter priority and Program auto exposure modes work. The Aperture Priority and Manual exposure modes do not work.</p>

<p>Therefore, even though the mirror lock-up feature works when a G lens is mounted on the F4, none of the exposure modes work. I assume this is also true with the G lens on other Nikon film cameras with mirror lock-up.<br>

.</p>

John I'm curious. Is t normal to engage mlu and then focus or set other parameters? I always hook up mlu as the last

step, having already set exposure and focus. Nonetheless, it seems the F4 has a lot of quirks for use with G lenses,

maybe not the best choice for anyone who needs an automatic camera. I must say though, in M mode, I love it:)

<p>Unless you want to spend 1500-2000 bucks on a used F6, I'd go with:<br>

1. F5: everything you want, and a fantastic camera - a bit big, but available under 300$<br>

2.F100: No MLU, but otherwise a great camera, my favorite AF Nikon. Should be able to find one for under 200 if you look carefully<br>

3. Everything else: the N80, N75, etc will work, but honestly, there's little sense in not getting at least an F100 unless budget is paramount. My Vote would be for the N80 in that case. </p>

<p>What are the improvements Nikon F6 over F5?<br>

What are the features and/or functions has removed for F6 which F5 have?<br>

Does VR work on F5?<br>

Currently I only have Nikon N60 film camera and two very used Nikon lens made by Sigma Zoom AF 35-70mm Lens and very a haze Sigma Zoom AF 70-210mm Lens, which I don’t know where to send to for cleaning. Would it be too high cost for cleaning?<br>

Would it be cheaper for me to get a cheap Canon film camera body with Nikon lens to Camera body adapter and good old Nikon lens or current Nikon D lens and forget the G lens or the VR? or I should stay with Nikon. I hear Nikon have very good lens.</p>

<p>An F6 has a newer AF system and a smaller body (similar to a D2). I think it doesn't have the mirror counterweight. It actually seems like less of a hard core pro camera than the F5. When it came out, journalist and sports pros were buying D2's instead, and the F6 ended up being more of a high-amateur-to-event-shooter camera instead.<br>

<br />An F5 is fully compatible with your lenses, and with G, AF-S and VR. The only lenses you can't use on it are pre-AI lenses (lenses from before 1977) and IX Nikkors (these were made for Pronea cameras that used APS film, and they are uncommon, which isn't surprising since Pronea cameras didn't sell very well). DX lenses (lenses for small-sensor digital cameras) work but usually the corners come out black because the lenses aren't meant to cover the whole size of a 35mm film frame.</p>

<p>An F100 has the same lens compatibility profile as an F5. But any lens that works on an N60 works <em>as well or better</em> on an F5, F6, F100, N80, N90 or N75.<br>

<br />Now, the lenses - what do you mean by haze? Is there a problem with the glass? Is there a problem with a removable filter (which you could just remove)? Or is there a glass element out of place or a problem with the focusing that prevents you from taking sharp photos?</p>

<p>As for Canons, my immediate response would be, why would you want to do that? Yeah, you can use an adapter to put a Nikon lens on a Canon camera, but they work best on Nikon cameras.</p>

<p>Thank you very much for all the help. It really helps me. I am really appreciating it.</p>

<p>Does F6 allow user to change the view finder like F5? </p>

<p>Is the anything else F5 can do and F6 can’t?</p>

<p>As for the haze old Sigma Nikon lens I bought from eBay. I am guessing hazy, fogy or cloudy may be the better word for it. The best description I can give it is the internal elements have very light semi transparent white look to it. I am not for sure what cause it, whether by light fungus, mole or something else.</p>

<p>Is it too hard for people like me who do not know anything about the lens to take it apart to clean the internal lens elements and put it back again? What lens repair tools do I need? Where can I get the special lens tool?</p>

<p>I do have few old lenses I bought them on eBay and it turn out to be hazy. Many eBay seller do not list all the problem clearly or fully.</p>

<p>Does anyone know where can I send lens to be to clean? Would it be too much cost?</p>