Nikon FG?

joe_smith42

After having problems with a minolta xd5, I realized I should

probably buy into the nikon lens system. I was thinking about buying

an Nikon FG as it is compact and inexpensive. Also, and lens

recommendations? I was thinking about buying a 35-70 Nikkor.

I have an FG. I used it for years before getting an FM3A. The FG is a great little camera and I was completely satisfied with it (before I got the FM3A).

A few years ago I decided to do away with my zoom lenses and now carry only primes. This may not have been the best decision for weight, but I'm very happy with the optics. If you're looking to save a few pennies, consider the 50mm and 100mm Series E lenses. I have both and their optics are quite good. The 28mm Series E is less good.

I use an FG as my autoexposure walking-around camera. Very useful, and unlike its brother the EM it offers full manual exposure control and TTL autoflash when wanted. The FG isn't just a walking-around camera, I use mine on my Questar 700.

I use the unjustly despised 35-70/3.3-4.5 Nikkor AIS on my FG. Not that bad, if not used wide open, a lens and very useful, although it will never replace a proper macro lens, of which I have entirely too many.

The FG is a nice supplement to my FM2n and my wife's EL-W. Yes, we're a bit behind in getting the latest most best camera bodies.

I loved my FG. I had several lenses that worked well with it.

Nikon 36-72mm f/3.5 E Series

Nikkor 35-105mm f/3.5-4.5 Zoom Macro

Nikon 100mm f/2.8 E Series (A very good lens)

I think for the value, you can't go wrong with an FG and any of the

E Series lenses. Especially the 100mm E, 75-150mm E, or the

70-210mm E.

Yeah, I love my FG also. The lens I bought for it to keep it compact and portable is the 45mm. It's a great combo.

I'm sure others may say that's an expensive lens for a cheap camera but that's non-sensical to me. It's all about having it small and lightweight.

Cheers,

-bob

The Nikon FG I got used; in mint condition in the mid 1980's was a disaster; the worst Nikon product I have ever used. I bought if for a girlfriend. The FG and a brand new Nikkormat FTN-K black body both were lemons. They jammed up; and had a only a few rolls per jam. Both spent more time in repair that usage; both were "repaired" by Nikon; the FG later by another expert. The Nikkormat FTN-K would just jam up; a brand new body bought as a spare; for pro usage. It was like buying a worn out spare tire; with a zillion patches. The Nikkormat FTN-K was repaired 3 times; each time it jammed up in a few rolls. Having used chrome Nikkormats FTN's since the 1960's; this was a major dissapointment. The Nikon FG was from the the folks love for used stuff. They fixed twice; then the warranty was out and Nikon worked on it. things would fall off; the wind knob; the rewind knob; it would jam up with no warning. The Nikon Fg and Nikkormat FTN-K black had more repairs; jams; then all the other Nikon products I have used since 1961. I have never had an F jam; or F2 jam. I have owned now about 4 Nikkoramts; on chrome one jammed once; after 10 years of usage; it was bougth new. <BR><BR>The FG I got was a lemon; the Nikkormat FTNk was too. lemons do exist; the Nikkormat FTNk was on a waiting list; I paid about 20 bucks extra; to get one early. I guess I got a transisional model; mine had to wait for parts in garden city for awhile. This was abit baffling; I buy a used Nikkormat in the 1960's; worry about it failing; buy a new black body almost a decade later; and it is garbage; a lemon. <BR><BR>The FG was used with a film bag; in case it jammed; which it did alot. After several hundred on reapirs that "were the last one"; the FG was thrown over a cliff; and teh Ventura Cross. Maybe some soul will find it; sell it on ebay.<BR><BR>I would have been better off to hit the FG with a sledge hammer when if first jammed; and used the future repair money to buy two more used ones; instead of dumping money into a bottomless pit. <BR><BR>I dont doubt that the FG has worked long and hard for many folks. I have had Nikon F's and Nikkormats for decades that have never required a CLA ever. <BR><BR>The FG was for a girl; the FG cost less in maintenance than the girl. :)

I have tried the 35-80mm f4-5.6 AFD and several of the 35-70 AI models. The 35-70mm f3.3-4.5 AI lens was *generally* the best, and it is the economical zoom model that I like best. That particular 35-70mm lens is pleasing, but it has some geometric distortion, the color saturation is a little lower, and the sharpness is a little less compared to primes and also the "pro" 35-70 f2.8 AFD zoom lens.

The annoying "rub" with 35mm SLR systems is that you get excellent performance in a fairly fast 50mm prime les for about $120, and it would be so nice to see a slightly slower 35-70mm lens with only slightly lower performance for about twice that amount. But as far as I know, no product like that actually exists in any SLR system. In the Nikon system, a slightly slower lens with slightly lower performance is the 35-70mm f2.8 AFD lens, and that model costs roughly seven times as much as the 50mm f1.8 AFD lens.

I use a 28mm f2.8 AIS lens, a 50mm f2.0 AI lens, and an 85mm HC (AI'd) lens with my FG, and the images consistently enlarge to sharp and attractive 8" X 12" prints. Perhaps they would even go up to another print size and still look good. The down side of this three-lens kit is that I loose a few shots while changing lenses. And of course, this kit is bigger and heavier than one involving anly a 35-70mm zoom. I often think I will swap the 85mm for a 75-150mm E-Series zoom lens because it would be more versatile than the 85mm. But I will not give up either the 28mm f2.8 AIS or the 50mm f2 AI lens. This is simply because either one of them blows away all of the inexpensive zoom models.

I have a Nikon FG and it has always serviced me well. It is a great-little camera, very lightweight and versatile. If I am correct, it was the second Nikon camera, after the F3, that had TTL flash control. It only lacks the DOF preview. I use it normally with a 28mm 2.8 Sigma (that I do not dislike), a 50mm Nikon series E (that I like a lot) and with a 100mm Nikon series E (the best of the E series?). Sometimes (not very often) I take only a 35-70mm 2.8-4 Sigma. My speedlight is a Sunpak 433D.

I never had a problem with anything. And I guess that it will be hard to find a better camera at the same price level.

I have the 35-70 f3.5 "Macro" lens with my FG. I have found it to be a nice walking around lens and use the zoom to compose the shot more than actual "zooming" since the range is rather short. I've had the FG for years without a lick of trouble. Except when the shutter stuck up due to a dead battery. A fresh battery fixed that. More user error than camera error !

I bought a Nikon FG back when they were brand new. The computer in mine died within a year and half; and I had it repaired. That was probably around 1984. Haven't had a problem with it since. Even after thousands upon thousands rolls of film, I put new foam in it but not so much as a CLA.

I picked up another a couple years ago.

The downside (I guess) is the fact that it landed in the shop at all. With a Nikkormat, EM, two FG's, an FE2, and F3hp; the FG was the only Nikon I ever had in the shop. That was over 20 years ago!

I AI my own lenses, so for the most part all I shoot are Nikkor Primes.