Nikon FE2

cristina_martinez

Hello everyone. I have several different cameras in all categories, but i do

not have a Nikon. Recently Ive been intrigued by the nikon FE2. I dont know

much about the Nikon system, so I just wanted to know if anyone had any

recommendations. Im looking for a mostly manual film Nikon.

much appreciated

-cristina

The FE2 is an aperture-preferred automatic exposure SLR. It can also be set manually but the shutter is electronically controlled. It doesn ot function without a battery. The FE2 has a limited number of interchangeable focusing screens. The viewfinder is not removable. The most important electronic feature is TTL flash control. Metering is center weighted. There are boith winders and motors which attach to the bottom of the FE2. The later FA had a rudimentary form of matrix metering but was not thought to be as sturdy as the FE2. Nikon made, until recently, a model called the FM3A. The FM3A combined features of the FE2 with features of the FM series so that the shutter would fire without battery power but autoatic exposure was available when needed or wanted. The FM3A is so expensive that it might cause the prices for older FE2 cameras to go up. The FM2 and FM2N do not have the automatic exposure feature of the FE2 and as such are "more manual."

Maybe you should look at the FM series. They're all manual -- the battery only powers the meter. If your battery dies (you should carry spares, no matter what camera you have), all shutter speeds work -- they're mechanical.

That said, I used an FE2 for many years and would prefer it to an FM (I love aperture-preferred auto). I always carried extra batteries, which can last a long time. Without batteries, you lose metering and get a single shutter speed (1/90 sec., IIRC).

'It doesn ot function without a battery.' - wrong, as others have said it has the mechanical backup speed setting.

A really great camera, I used them for backup for years (professionally) and they were 100% reliable. Don't worry about the batteries - they are literally only pence/cents and last a very long time; pop new ones in once a year and you will never have a problem (unless you leave the wind on lever cocked when unused, which leaves the camera switched on).

FE2 - still my main camera even though I've added F100 and D70s. It's like a stick-shift Jeep

- light, durable, quick, and all-terrain. 24, 35, 85, and 135 fast AI/AIS primes give excellent

image quality. I still prefer tto set the aperture on the lens, than on a control dial.

I second every thing positive said about the FE2.

Used mine for 17 years in tandem with an FM2. Still use them with 20/24, 50 and 105. The winder MD12 fits both and really makes them comfortable to use (and it uses AA batteries available nearly everywhere). Great travel cameras, not too heavy, almost bulletproof and can accept most Nikkor lenses without problem. Neither has ever let me down whatever the demands. Thoroughly recommended.