Nikon FE2 and circular polarizer filter

moccia

I own a Kenko circular polarizer filter that I use with a old manula

focus camera (Nikon FE2).

I always get inconsisten exposure with this filter.

I have heard about problems with linear polarizer on AF cameras, but

never about problems with new circular one on old MF cameras!

Did anyone know why?

Thanks in advance!

Problems with exposure metering is not strictly limited to autofocus cameras, some manual focus cameras may also have trouble with TTL measurement.

However it is strictly limited to linear polarizers. A circular polarizer should work with any TTL metering. You're not using an external meter are you?

Luigi,

You write that your images (negatives/transparencies) look bad...how so? Are you applying the proper filter factor (exposure increase) when using the CP? (You can do this via the ASA dial, add about two stops exposure from your film's normal rating). Is the filter visibly damaged somehow? Are Kenko CPs really of such poor quality? Many times CPs used with WA lenses give poor results; a bright blue sky can get really dark and inky toward the edges of the image area.

The FE2 metering is center weighted. If you are using a wide angle lens, the polarizer effect will vary significantly across the field of view and alter your perception of the meter reading which can lead to an overexposure. Another possibility is your perception of the tonal ranges in scenes where you are using a polarizer. The problem maybe a misinterpretation of the tonal range being metered and not exposing to place it where you intend.

Luigi, I use a linear polariser with my FE2. LPolarisers are meant to be used with manual focus cameras only, as they can interfere with autofocus. There does not seem to be any reason why you should not use a Circular polariser with a manual camera though. Maybe someone will enlighten us.

You should be aware that the polarisation effect of sunlight varies with the angle to the sun so can look uneven from one side of the sky to the other esp with wide angles.

I have found in the past that I tended to use my LP when it was very sunny. (Mediterranean holidays etc) I was not quite used to manual metering in these conditions. (I live in UK where light is often fairly muted). Could unfamiliar conditions be at the root of the problem?

I've had no problems with a Nikon CP on an FE2, and doubt the Kenko is any different. Sometimes really cheap polarizers will delaminate and cause problems.

If you're using a 24 mm or wider lens, that may be causing the effect you're seeing, if you're rotating it to get the desired effect and still getting an unsatisfactory exposure.

As I understand, polarized light has only one axis or plane

while circularly polarized light has two planes at 90° and with

the same amplitude. The purpose of a circular polarizing filter

is to simulate unpolarized light for a metering system that

favors light coming from a particular plane or axis. This will

occur if beam splitters or semi-silvered mirrors and secondary

mirrors are used in the metering system. While rotating a linear

polarizing filter with this type of meter the axis of the filter

will agree or conflict with the metering system indicating more

of less light and causing under or over exposure. The effect on

my F100 is not as pronounced as I would expect but its

enough to mess up transparency exposures.<br>

<br>

Since the FE2 works fine with unpolarized light and with

polarized light there is no reason why it should not work

properly with circularly polarized light. With my FE2 I see no

change in exposure while pointing the camera at an unpolarized

surface and rotating a circular polarizing filter.<br>

<br>

If none of this makes sense try this website...<br>

<br>

<a

href="http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polarcon.html#c1"

target="_new">http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/polarcon.html#c1</a>

<br>

<br>

Regards,

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your advice,

I just bought a new CP (Nikon) and I shot my first roll (some pics in my new folder "Canadian Train").

Everythings is fine, no exposure mistakes.

I didn't do a comparison in the same circustance with the kenko CP so I can't conclude anything, but now I'm guessing that the problem was with the kenko filter.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=244427