Nikon FE or FE2?

ying_yin_chew

<p>Hi! Am in a difficult situation! Dont know which to get - the FE or FE2? I am a beginner to SLR cameras, and usually use a camera for portrait shots, landscape shots and shots of moving objects. The FE is offered cheaper than the FE2. Am concerned about price as well.<br>

FE comes with a MD-11, 50mm f/1.8 Ai and UV filter. The FE2 comes with Nikkor 50mm/f1.4 AIS, Kenko CPL, UV filter, 2 bnw films, extra batteries and strap.<br>

Please help! Thank you (:</p>

<p>I have an FE2; it's an excellent camera. The FE2 has two main advantages over the FE. Firstly it can do TTL flash which is nice to have. Secondly it has a much higher sync. speed which makes using flash in daylight easier. The shutter goes up to 1/4000 second rather than 1/1000 as well but I've never used such speeds anyway and doubt that many people have.</p>

<p>The FE has the advantage of being able to use old Nikon pre-AI lenses but if you don't actually have any of these that probably doesn't matter much; there are plenty of AI and AIS lenses around and either are completely usable on either camera.</p>

<p>If you wear glasses do make sure you can see all the viewfinder field. Now I've changed back to glasses from contact lenses I can't see all the viewfinder field and it's a real problem to me.</p>

<p>Personally I wouldn't put much value on an MD-11 motor drive; they are very heavy and not all that fast anyway. If you want a motor you'd probably do better to buy a newer camera with a built-in motor.</p>

<p>If you can run to it I'd go for the FE2; the f/1.4 lens would be nice to have and the camera will be newer as well, though of course that doesn't tell you anything about how well it's been looked after!</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Hi Ying Yin:<br>

I have both cameras, I have been using them for five years, and they are very similar and have the same quality level. But I must say that I prefer the FE for three reasons:<br>

1- It is smaller and less heavy than the FE2, un important point if you use to travel.<br>

2- The mirror lock function incorporated to the selftimer is very usefull to avoid vibrations and get sharper images. A feature very hard to find in that kind of cameras.<br>

3-As Richard said, non-Ai lenses are compatible. If you are in a budged, non-Ai lenses are generally cheaper than Ai and Ais, and some of them are simply excellent and give you high quality pictures.<br>

So, briefly, if TTL flash is important for you, go for the FE2, otherwise go for the FE.</p>

<p>Eduard,<br /> The FE2 raises the mirror before the self timer starts to run. As far as I know the two cameras are the same in that respect. I'd have thought you would know that if you have one.<br /> Are you sure that the FE is significantly smaller or lighter? Personally I rather doubt it. Do you have dimensions and weights?</p>

<p> </p>

<p>Ying-I had both cameras back in the 80's. The FE was my very first Nikon camera and while I liked it, I sold it and bought the FE2 a few months later and I used it for several years until I 'went digital'. Given the choice now, I wouldn't hesitate to get the FE2 again-it's a great little camera. Happy shooting! cb :-)</p>

<p>i had both and used both as a backup to my F3 during my photojournalism days decades ago. i like the size and yes, the FE2 is lighter. that went well to offset the weight of the F3 with motordrive and the F2AS before that around my neck. the faster flash synch will also help you outdoors........not to mention TTL. it's always nice to have a little tiny bit more electronics in your gear.</p>

<p>the lens on the FE2 to me is better. i have used both. and as mentioned above, the MD11 is just extra weight. the MD12 is a lot better. but each photographer has a set of standards and preferences. good luck and have fun.</p>

<p>Although, for the most part, AI and AIS lenses are said to provide superior image quality. When I considered buying a Nikon film body it was the FE2 I was most impressed with. I do shoot a lot from 1/1000 to 1/2000 with the odd shot at 1/4000 so this is the primary reason I'd go for the FE2.</p>

<p>The MD-11 may add weight and bulk, but I like the feeling of the motor in my hands. Also, the MD-11 drains the 8 AA Batteries if you forget to turn it off (most people do forget), and then you curse the thing. They're practically giveaways for that reason. The MD-12 will turn itself off if you forget.</p>

<p>I've got both cameras...and I agree with Gary. If you're worried about TTL shooting, pick up the F100 (which I also have).</p>

<p>As for the FE/FE2...</p>

<p>Either will be great. But, as mentioned above, it's a tradeoff. Non-Ai lenses are cheaper, but the other advantages of the FE2 will equalize this. Flip a coin...you can't lose.</p>

You'll need to be careful with the MD-11 if you decide to get it. The MD-11 doesn't turn the power off automatically like the MD-12 so your batteries will drain.

I was told that the FE is the better choice because the shutter is stronger. I can attest to that. My FE shutter has never been replaced in the 27 years that I've owned it. My N8008 (purchased in 1988) had to have its shutter replaced in 1992 after it was found to be faulty while on a trip abroad (dumb thing! Dumb me for not bringing a back-up as I normally did).

That said, I agree with everyone else that you should get a N90s or F100 if you're in the market. If you can get hold of a Nikon F6 though, you'd have the ultimate that will take new lenses with the current CPU's and autofocus. It'll cost a pretty penny though.

• 9 years later...