Nikon fast prime lenses - when?

gurbally_seth

<p>Half of your question should be "When wil Nikon update it's fast primess?" I have the Nikon 28mm f1.4 AF and 50mm f1.2 AI manual focus lenses. The 28 sells for $4K used because it has been discontinued. The 50 is still available new. There is also a manual focus 35 f1.4 and 85 f1.4 AF. I'm not sure what the fastest 24 is.</p>

<p>I think you'll also get more useful responses by posting on the Nikon forum rather than Canon FD but no one outside of Nikon really knows what lenses will come out next.</p>

<p>As Michael very rightly said, it is about controlling DOF, it is not about availability of light.<br>

As for higher usable ISOs, as Luis predicts, I think it is stretching the ISO thing too far. You can never - and never will - get the same quality at 6400 what you get at 400-800 ISO.<br>

To Walt, I say that 50mm f1.2 manual is not a great lens when wide open...so you better use the old war horse 50mm f1.4. And 28mm f1.4 will cost you 4G today. 35mm f1.4 manual is also not great either.<br>

On the other hand, look at Canon - 24mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 50mm f1.2, and 85mm f1.2. And all these canon lenses are into their second version and great.<br>

I will just wait for about a couple of months.</p>

<p>There will always be no useful answers when you ask about what Nikon will introduce in the future. That is Nikon propriatery information and if anybody really knows the details, they will not share it in a public forum such as this one.</p>

<p>If you start a thread in the Nikon Forum, we have made that very clear: <a href="http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-post-new?topic_id=1681">http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-post-new?topic_id=1681</a></p>

<p>If Nikon's 28mm/f1.4 AF-D, 50mm/f1.4 AF-S and 85mm/f1.4 AF-D do not meet your needs, you either wait indefiniately or buy a Canon body and their lenses.</p>