Nikon FA shutter button or film advance malfunction

bryaneberly

Hello, this is my first post on the site and I want to address a problem I am having with a Nikon FA. I received it and several lenses for free last spring from a family friend. The problem with it is that when the film advance lever is cocked it just springs back while automatically engaging the shutter. There seems to be something preventing it from staying in place and allowing the shutter button to operate the shutter. Also, the batteries in the camera were replaced with new ones but they're not responding to anything. I did not see any corrosion on the battery connections in the camera so I really have no idea why it's not responding. Anyway, those are the problems with the FA and if anyone has any advice I would love to hear it... even if it's "chuck the thing." I already have a Nikon FE and Canon AE-1 Program so this might be ebay fodder either way.

Bryan

IME the FA is the most unreliable camera Nikon has ever made. It's also a repairer's nightmare to get past the electronic connections littered around the camera and into the mechanical parts.

Easiest access is through the base of the camera. If the offending part can't be got at this way, then you might as well forget it!

Removing the baseplate is easy, and relatively risk-free. IIRC, the leverwind latch and on/off switch is located in the base. You should be able to see it moving - or not! - with the base of the camera removed.

Good luck! Because you'll certainly need it with an FA.