Nikon F6: accessories, screens, tips, etc.

studio460

<p>Just bought a used Nikon F6 and ordered some accessories for it:<br /> DK-17M 1.2x viewfinder magnifier; DK-19 rubber eyecup; MC-30 remote release cable. Also bought two more AH-4 grips (love those things). Thanks to photo.net, I figured out that the DK-17M + DK-19 do fit together, and that the "locking collar" comes only with the DK-17M. I've never used a magnifying viewfinder--usually popped for the anti-fog glass instead for my old FMs/FEs. Nikon says that the DK-17M may obstruct some menu items in the F6 and D3-series--is this true? Any other handy F6 accessories, tips, tricks, etc.? Does anyone actually use the data reader? Can't wait to shoot CLS with this. Someday, I'd like to change the screen to a split/microprism, but don't you lose the focus points when you change from the standard screen? I'd also like to hear of other F6 owners' experiences here as well. Thanks for any replies!</p>

<blockquote>

<p>No, you don't lose the focus points.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Thanks! Unfortunately, it doesn't look like they make a screen with both a split-prism collar and a micro-prism like my old Canon FTb had. In-viewfinder rangefinder focus indicators are a really neat addition to modern SLRs, and makes those less necessary these days anyway.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>You won't like the F6. The F5 is better. I'll trade you mine.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Really? Is the F5 better than the F6? Yeah, I really can't believe this thiing. I bought it used from KEH, and it looks in pretty nice shape. I heard it's basically a D2 shell, but it sure feels great. It's the nicest "feeling" SLR I've ever owned. After decades of buying only lower-tier Nikon film SLRs, it's certainly nice to finally have the best one Nikon makes. The F6 is pure beauty, form, and function.</p>