Nikon F55

greg_nixon2

Unfortunately, resolutions require removing the coating. I had an N90s with the same problem, and ended up removing the finish with a mild scotch brite pad and some dilute paint remover. There are a number of ways to remove the goo, but none of them can usually save the finish.

I have an F5, and an F4s, but both of those finishes are rather pristine; no hint of "crudding".

Unfortunately, resolutions require removing the coating. I had an N90s with the same problem, and ended up removing the finish with a mild scotch brite pad and some dilute paint remover. There are a number of ways to remove the goo, but none of them can usually save the finish.

I have an F5, and an F4s, but both of those finishes are rather pristine; no hint of "crudding".

I've never handled a sticky F4, or otherwise seen one advertised for sale. The same also seems to be true of the other first-gen AF cameras-the N8008, etc.

The problem seemed to come on strong with the N90 era cameras, although I've also seen it on the N80. The N80 has the same textured rubber that Nikon started using with the F5, so it's bad.

F100s don't get sticky, but they're really bad about completely losing their grips(or having them peel). I've seen the same happen to F5s to some extent, but it doesn't seem as endemic on them as on the F100.

I thought it was going to be one of those cases like my F90, but in the end it turned out too be just a thin layer of sticky rubber over a plastic base. It all cleaned up with some methylated spirits. I took the opportunity to go over the whole camera to bring up to pristine condition.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

PS methylated spirits is ethyl alcohol with about 5% methyl alcohol.

• 4 weeks later...