Nikon F55 or F65

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by tim_armstrong, Oct 8, 2003.

1. i am i need to get a SLR camera for my photopgrahy class
    heres the thing

which camera is better the Nikon F55 or F65 i plan to get the pack
    thing that encororates a 90-300mm lens with it
    i want to have the most flexability and have complete control over
    aperture, shutter speed etc as well as having automatic settings

thanx
    mike

2. You should get the N65 if those are your choices. You can't use an external flash with TTL on an N55 and that is a major drawback. Also there is no depth of field preview if I remember correctly.

The N65 is a great camera for the price. You will get a lot of use out of it.

If you can afford the N75, it is an even better camera, the new replacement for the N65. But, you can get used N65 for very little money. So go with that, if it is your decision.

For a good review of the N65 go to http://www.bythom.com

3. hey
    could you tell me if the minolta 5 is a better camera than the N65 ??
    thanx alot

mike

4. The N55 also is not AF-S compatible. I don't think it does VR, either. Also, it only has 3 AF sensors as opposed to the N65's 5 sensor array.

The N55 has no focus tracking/focus tracking with "lock-on". The meter is 5-segment as opposed to 6 in the N65. Apparently the N65 has an exposure lock button although in my 2 years' experience, I have yet to find it (source: Nikon full-line produce guide #8).

Here's one caveat to the accuracy of this info: it lists the N55 as having a 1/90th TTL flash sync, and the N65 is listed as having no flash sync at all! (it's 1/90th). Also, it lists the N65 as having a built-in diopter and the N55 as missing one, but the product descriptions on pages 36-39 say they both have them.

Pertaining to what someone said earlier about no TTL flash sync:

I think what they meant was there's no "3D multi-sensor balanced fill flash" and that it only has "matrix balanced fill flash". It most definitely does do standard TTL flash, but its limitations are the same as the N65's. To get "3D multi-sensor balanced fill flash" you need an N80 or higher.

5. Wait a minute; let me correct that:

The other guy was correct: "Non-TTL Auto Flash with optional Speedlight and CPU Nikkor lens" with the N55

Also, some more things I came up with:

The N55 has a 1.5fps frame rate; the N65 has 2.5fps (both only accessible via "sports continuous vari-program mode".

The viewfinder coverage for the N65 is listed at 96% and the N55 is listed as 89%, although I'm pretty sure they're both 89%.

And lastly, the lens mount on the N55 is "polycarbonate" (plastic). The mount on the N65 is metal. Some people prefer metal over plastic, while others will flame me for even mentioning this.

6. jbq

jbq

As was said, get an N65 or N75. The N55 is only good if you're after removing every last ounce of weight in your backpack (but then maybe you shouldn't be using a 35mm SLR). The N55 lacks DoF preview, spot metering, has no support for AFS/VR or TTL flash with external speedlights (although it does it with the built-in flash).

7. I have a F65 body and it's an excellent entry-level SLR. It's worth to consider the new F75 if you want to spend few more bucks.

[]'s

8. hey could you tell me if the minolta 5 is a better camera than the N65 ?? thanx alot
    mike/tim (?) -
    This is a Nikon forum, and it's quite possible there are very few people here familiar with the Minolta. Maybe you can start another thread in the 'camera equipment' forum along the lines of "Nikon N65 vs. Minolta 5".

9. "...if the minolta 5 is a better camera than the N65... "<p>
    MInolta 5 features substantially higher specification than N65. If your ambition for future expansion of photographic hobby is modest, there is no reason to ignore Minolta 5 in favor of Nikon. However, if you envision substantial future expansion, then Minolta system can be less attractive.

10. thanx for all your advice
    its greatly appreciated

11. The N65 has no spot metering, either. And center-weighted metering is only available in manual exposure mode. Continuous servo focus mode (and continuous film advance) are available only in "sports vari-program mode".

The N75 has a spot meter, but it's only available via custom settings and (as I understand) it is tied to the AE lock button, which can be a real pain to use. I think (but I'm not sure) that the continuous focus and continuous film advance modes are only available in sports mode for this camera, too. The maximum film advance rate is 1.5fps, which I think is horrid. A nice advantage, though, is that the optional battery pack includes a vertical shutter release, which is awesome (but expensive $$$).

I just checked B+H and both the N65 and N75 are selling for the same price new ($200). I personally would still get an N65 over the N75, but that's just me.

However, the N80 is getting to the price point where I think it deserves a really good look. The Nikon website posted something about a new lower price (in conjunction with the $50 rebate) at the beginning of this quarter. I have yet to see it reflected on any retailer's prices but right now it's running $300 at B+H after rebate.

If the new lower price is something like $250 after rebate, I think (and I'm assuming most people agree) IT'S A NO-BRAINER! Unless you actually want the vari-program modes and full automation, the N80 lets you have much more control over your photos, namely the focus mode selection and exposure mode selection.

Sorry to add in another camera to the mix, but just to keep you informed...

I wouldn't want to spend a bunch of money at the start just to realize I wanted something else later (oh wait, that *did* happen to me)...

12. For a class, I'd also have to agree that the N65 is preferred. If memory serves, the N55 doesn't allow fully manual operation (manual focus and manual exposure settings) which are often desirable in a classroom setting.

I would also disagree with the lens choice you are thinking about. The traditional learner lens is a nice, fast, inexpensive 50mm f/1.8 lens. But, if you really want flexability, a 28-105mm zoom is a great all-purpose lens. It's wide enough to capture landscapes and long enough to do portraits. If image quality is a minor thing, there are even zooms in the 24-200mm range that let you learn which focal lengths are great for your type of shooting.

If you do get serious, you'll eventually want some quality zoom lenses, prime lenses, and eventually a better body. The N65 has a lot fewer limitations than the N55, so you will be able to use it for years, even if you get into some pretty serious photography. The only things I want that the N65 is lacking is a spot meter and exposure lock. The center-weighted meter and manual modes can be used to overcome these things most of the time, but getting a shot can take a little more patience.

I have an N65, a 50 f/1.8, a 28-105mm, and an older 75-300mm. I plan to buy a few primes before upgrading the body to an N80 or better. I have purposely avoided zooms that magnify more than about 4X, cheap G lenses, and the kit lenses because I want quality stuff that will last for years and hold some of their value. I may also buy an all manual camera so I want compatible lenses for it as well (this means no G lenses for me).

13. jbq

jbq

Jim: the N55 allows manual focus and manual exposure (with only one command dial and shift buttons).It doesn't allow setting the film sensitivity manually. Also, the N55 only comes as part of a kit, and maybe the 28-80 isn't the lens you want to get (if your budget allows, the 24-85 AFS G ED-IF sounds better, but doesn't focus on an N55)

For reference, the Pronea S doesn't allow manual exposure, unless you use a lens with an aperture ring (at which point you lose metering).