Nikon f5 G lenses

danielscheel

I think you will be fine, going to check a G on an F5 now. The AF manipulation on the F5 is "different" from the current setups but worked well for me last summer.

There is no AF fine tune, which may be an issue with some lenses. So test before a critical shoot.

Have fun!

PS, I just checked DOF stop down with a G lens, stop down looked appropriate for the indicated aperture on the display, in M mode. Aperture control with wheel control confirmed.

Edited by robert_bouknight|1
  • Like 1

I think you will be fine, going to check a G on an F5 now. The AF manipulation on the F5 is "different" from the current setups but worked well for me last summer.

There is no AF fine tune, which may be an issue with some lenses. So test before a critical shoot.

Have fun!

PS, I just checked DOF stop down with a G lens, stop down looked appropriate for the indicated aperture on the display, in M mode. Aperture control with wheel control confirmed.

THANK YOU:D!

The main issue is that G lenses have no aperture ring, and you need to use the sub-command dial to control the aperture. The F5 is the first Nikon SLR with two command dials: main and sub.

You can still use G lenses on the F4, but you are restricted to S and P modes. You need to change the shutter speed to influence the aperture.

But I read you can still use it in manual and use just the commands in the F5?

The main issue is that G lenses have no aperture ring, and you need to use the sub-command dial to control the aperture. The F5 is the first Nikon SLR with two command dials: main and sub.

You can still use G lenses on the F4, but you are restricted to S and P modes. You need to change the shutter speed to influence the aperture.

• Like 1

But I read you can still use it in manual and use just the commands in the F5?

Again, the F5 is the first Nikon SLR with two command dials, where you can use the sub-command dial on the front of the camera to control the aperture so that manual and aperture priority both work. The same is true for the subsequent F100, N80/F80, etc.

The F4 has no command dial. The N8008/F801 and the N90/F90 have only the main command dial. Therefore, on those bodies, you must use S or P. In shutter priority, you can change the shutter speed to influence the aperture. In P mode the camera sets everybody so that G lenses can still "work" on those bodies, but some functionalities are not available.

BTW, for VR to work, the camera body must have multiple AF points. The F4, N8008, and N90 have only one AF point so that the VR feature will not function on those bodies. VR works on the F5, F100, N80, etc.

• Like 1

All modern lenses work on the F5 except the E lenses which no film cameras can control their aperture. PreAI lens shouldn't be used with the F5 unless you have the F5 modified.

If it is the 200-500 or 500mm PF, I mostly use them wide open anyway so that not able to control the aperture, i.e. closing down, is hardly an issue. But if you are stuck using the 28mm/f1.4 E or 24-70/2.8 E wide open, it can be a serious issue.