Nikon F5 For $400?

boris_riabov1

Hello,

I considering purchasing a Nikon F5 for $400. Is it a good deal? I know these cameras cost $2-3000 when they came out, but do you think

it's a good deal. I've checked several websites and some of these cameras cost higher, but there are some in 70-79% condition that sell

for $300.

This camera is in excellent condition, and has anyone ever done black and white photography? I've read it an excellent color camera, but

I'm curious about how the black and white images come out? Anyone here shot T-Max, Tri-X 400 on it?

Thanks

Boris

An F5 is a light-tight box with film at one end and a lens at the other. I can't imagine how it would do anything significantly than any other camera with the same film and lens. It is a brick, and will leave no doubt that you have a nearly indestructable camera around your neck.

The F5 has a thousand or so RGB sensors for setting the exposure. This is combined with a database of scenarios based on the experience of expert photographers for various situations of subject vs background and distance. In my experience the F5 is significantly more accurate measuring exposure under incandescent light, capturing much better shadow detail than an F100 under the same conditions. I haven't shot enough B&W to say, but with color negative film the "batting average" is better than 90%.

The F5 should be fine for black and white. If you use film and would a like stout autofocus camera then you're not likely to be disappointed with an F5. I haven't noticed any metering problems with Tri-X. If you don't like the matrix metering or have manual focus lenses then you can use center-weighted or spot metering. It's hard to comment on how good a deal you'd be getting. For a clean, well working camera the price sounds fair. Some factors to consider are: Does the camera need professional cleaning and adjusting? Can you inspect it before buying it? Is there a return policy if you don't find it satisfactory? Some other things to think about are costs related to Nikon batteries and chargers versus the AA battery tray. The MN-30 batteries can be quite hard to find and the AA tray apparently works better with lithium or alkaline batteries due to the lower voltage on rechargeable AA batteries. Good luck with your decision.

The camera is supposed to be in excellent condition. I was wondering about its setting. Can you set them to manual

instead of automatic. Furthermore, has anyone ever did portraits with this camera? I've read nothing but rave reviews about

this camera. I'm just looking for more opinions from people who have used this camera.

Boris.... Forgive me if I'm reading the gist of your questions incorrectly, but it sounds to me as if you are somewhat

new to photography. If that is the case, I think the F5 is probably a little too much camera for you. It is a very

complicated computer controlled camera body with many many settings for all kinds of advanced shooters. IF you

are new to

photography we can perhaps suggest some other

bodies.

If you are NOT new to this wonderful hobby, tell us what lenses you have and perhaps we can suggest an alternative

based on the lenses you have. The F5 can make autofocus lenses very snappy. But if you intend to buy and use

some of the great

old AI and AIS manual focus lenses, I think there's better camera choices.

I've used a Nikon FM2 for about two years now, and I loved it from the moment I got it. I started with a 50mm Nikkor 1:1.8

Lens and then used different 75-200 and even 300mm lenses. I have read about this camera for a long time, and although I

haven't had that much photography experience. I think it would be good to buy this camera now for a reasonable price and

practice and learn with it while at the same time shooting with my Nikon FM2. Since I go to NYU for film, I was thinking of

setting up a small studio and run a small business of taking headshots of actors and actresses in NYC, but do it for less

because I'm a student. However, I would also use this camera outdoors and for all types of photographs. I just think it is a

good deal and I can learn while I have it. What do you guys think?

Joe A. ... Even for someone new to photography, these are interesting times, because you can acquire things easily that would be rather out-of-reach for most of us only a couple of years ago. I wouldn't discourage people to get the best (even just for the feel of it). ...And we're here to answer the questions that arise.. ;-)

Boris.... I gotta say that I do feel for what you plan to do, the F5 is too much. You don't need lightning-fast AF. You

don't need supreme durability. Understand that your lenses on the F5 are going to make negatives that are exactly

like the negatives you get with your lenses on the FM2. You need lighting if you want to get into headshots and

such. A better understanding and use of studio lights will elevate your pictures to that next level.

Albin.... Great times, yes. But just because the $3000 F5 is selling for $300-500 does not mean it's the best body

for everyone. Boris could very well be wasting $400 for HIS situation. You choose the tool to match the task. The

best in this case may not be "the best professional body". It may be an F100. Or an F3. Or, more likely, better

lights and lenses more

suited to what Boris plans to do.

Ben... YES! I think medium format is the way for Boris to head. If he's going to shoot film, make an improvement in

the film. The F5 does the same thing the FM2 does. It holds film in a dark place. It doesn't make the film better.

But going to 120 film WILL make a better negative. For Boris' budget, I'd suggest a Mamiya M645 kit with the

80mm, 150mm and 210mm to

start. Get a prism finder so the view matches what he's used to in the FM2. And get a light meter. The Hasselblad

would be nice, but he's

looking at about twice his budget for the body, back and one portrait lens.

I have owned and shot at least 7 or 8 different film cameras over the years in addition to the D200, D300, and now the D3.

The F5 is still one of my favorite camera bodies to shoot. I am always on the look out for opportunities to use film/slide film in my professional work rather than digital. It is simply one of the best 35mm film bodies on the planet.

Enjoy!

I'm not a killjoy, Dennis. Boris should be very joyful about where he can take his photography! But given his current

equipment and his goals, the F5 ain't it. If you have advanced AF Nikkors, then yes, it's hard to beat. But with his

lenses and possible need for lighting, the F5 will not make better pictures than the FM2.

If you already have advanced lenses and want to shoot 35mm film, and you have fast moving subjects, I agree it may

not get any better than the F5.

If you want superior film captures with smoother tonalities and finer transitions, especially in B&W, medium format is

the way to go.

So, you think I should buy a medium format camera for portraits, and stick with my Nikon FM2 for outdoor photography? I've heard great things about Hasselblads, but they are probably too expensive. Joe suggested the Mamiya M645 kit with the 80mm, 150mm and 210mm to start, has anyone used this camera before? I know that lighting is crucial to photography, and even if you have the best lenses, if you don't know how to light your subjects, your photographs will be mediocre. I am reading books on lighting and portraiture, and then I'm considering getting some cheap lights and simply experimenting, even with my Nikon FM2 before I get a medium format camera.

Experimenting is a great idea. You can learn a lot with your FM2 and your 50mm.

You can use either 35mm film or medium format. The principles and need for lighting in portrait work is the same.

Your 50mm lens is a very good lens, but you'd need something a little longer of high quality for the portrait work.

Many choices such as a 105mm f/2.5 AIS or a 135mm f/2.8 or f/3.5 are available at reasonable prices if you're on a

budget. I'd spend that money in a 35mm-film system before I'd upgrade your camera body to the advanced

autofocus F5.

But since you are not heavily invested in the better Nikon lenses, you might want to use that to your advantage and

move into the larger negative that medium format gives you. You can still use it for portrait work or "outdoor

photography". A 6x4.5 frame is about two and a half times the area of a 35mm frame; that's where the advantage

lies. I have an M645 with the 35mm, 80mm and 150mm lenses, and I have access to the 55mm and the 210mm, so

I can offer some thoughts. The quality is very good and the price is UNBEATABLE. Personally, I prefer the waist

level finder, but for portrait work where you'll have to flop the camera on it's side on the tripod, the prism finders make

more sense. I love walking around with the camera and the waist level finder; it's the working man's Hasselblad!

You can get a body, two inserts, and the 80mm lens for as low as $150. A 150mm will run about $150, and a 210mm will be a a little less, maybe $125. The Body, 80mm and 210mm would probably be a good start, then add the 150mm if you feel you need it after shooting a bit. For comparison, a Hasselblad 500C or 500C/M with an 80mm "normal" lens will probably cost $500-700 and up. Robert will have to tell you about the Bronica and it's prices.

Any studio lighting you buy would work with the Nikon or the M645, and if you're going to get into portrait work,

you're going to need lights, umbrellas, etc. So only you can decide if you'd like to grow your 35mm kit, or choose

medium format for your film-based pursuits. I'm not trying to squash your F5 dreams, just give you some things to

consider and ask more about, perhaps in the Medium Format Forum, too.

You can use a medium format camera outside, too. Though you might not be willing to lug about most of the 6x7 SLRs because they are both bulky and heavy. The 645 and 6x6 systems are much easier to carry.

I used to own a Mamiya 645 Pro TL and a number of lenses. It's an excellent camera, unless you plan to shoot with flash outdoors. The 1/60 flash sync just does not cut it. I'd suggest a Bronica ETRSi for 645, or a Broica SQ series for 6x6. All leaf shutters and the prices are very low. Check keh.com for prices.

Just to give you an idea of the cost to get started with a Bronica ETRSi:

Bronica ETR/ETRS/ETRSI

ETRS WITH 150 F3.5 MC (62), 120 EI BACK, PRISM, SPEEDGRIP E, MEDIUM FORMAT SLR MANUAL FOCUS CAMERA OUTFIT

EX+ $454.00

EX $359.00

So you can get started in MF, including a 150mm portrait lens, for about the same cost as a Nikon F5 body.

Hello,

I am thinking of selling my Nikon FM2 then, and use that money to purchase a Mamiya 645 then with probably a 50mm

lens and a 150mm portrait lens. What if by any chance I come across any Hasselblad's that aren't that expensive, should I

stick with the Mamiya or perhaps, the Bronica ETRSi?

Boris,

Do not sell your FM2. I have an FE2 and I love it to death.

Do not buy an Hasselblad. I have a 500CM and I hardly ever use it.

I also have a D70 and am thinking about a D300.

If you like the look of film then great. Otherwise think digital.