Nikon F4s will advance film without firing shutter...

jared_angle

<p>My Nikon F4s has recently developed the rather aggravating trait of triggering the film advance but not firing the shutter when I press the shutter button. The camera behaves 75% of the time, but sometimes I will be shooting and it will do this in the middle of an important scene and I will lose the moment I was capturing.</p>

<p>When it does this, it doesn't do it immediately, there's a delay. When the camera operates normally, I press the shutter button and the mirror lifts, shutter opens/closes, the mirror drops, and the film advance winds to the next frame. But when the camera decides not to work, I press the shutter button and there is a delay (half a second, roughly) during which time there is no mirror movement or shutter movement, then the film advances one frame, followed by the LED between the ISO wheel and the viewfinder flashing rapidly.</p>

<p>This problem will usually persist for several minutes, the camera will not resume normal function until I wait it out.</p>

<p>Does anybody have any ideas?</p>

<p>Could the mirror be getting stuck and since it doesn't move out of the way, the shutter doesn't fire ? I know some cameras get an issue where the foam gets sticky and has to be replaced. I don't know if this is an issue with the F4. I hope not, as I have one.I suspect that the film advances after waiting for a prescribed amount of time for the shutter. Once that time elapses, it figures some trick setting is being used and moves the film.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>I think what you are describing is what happens when the door is open. When open you will see a small black pin in the top indent on the left (that the door closses into) NOT the silver one on the right. With a pen try pushing the pin down then letting it pop up by sliding the pen off it. Not sure if it will work but its worth a try.</p>