jim_helleck1

Ok, I'm totally baffled about TTL flash photography. Can someone out

there help me out with the basics. I know the sync speed for the F4

is 1/250th. Other than setting the shutter speed to 1/250th, how do I

set the camera up? Should I be in "Manual" mode? I'm using a 50mm MF

lens, so I know "Program" modes don't work, right? (no cpu)? What

about "matrix balanced fill flash"? Which mode should the camres's

meter be in, or does it matter? Any help is greatly appreciated. It

seems very confussing when TTL flash is supposed to simplify things.

Jim,</p>

This link may help: <a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/flash/index.htm">Flash Photography with Nikon F4</a></p>

With a manual focus lens (no cpu) you can shoot in manual or aperture priority modes. In aperture priority with a SB-20 mounted the camera will automatically set the sync speed between 1/60 and 1/250 (depending on the ambient light level). In manual mode you can set the shutter speed at any speed from 30sec to 1/250 (again, depending on the ambient light level and the effect you wish to achieve).</P>

You can use any metering mode with MF lenses and flash on the F4 - spot, centerweighted or matrix - it only effects the ambient exposure. Matrix will probably work best for most situations. The flash exposure will be centerweighted regardless of the metering mode selected.</p>

TTL flash exposure with the F4 and a dedicated Nikon flash (such as the SB-20) is pretty easy and foolproof once you get the hang of it. Good luck.</p>

Michael

Micheal, I think I've figured out my main problem. I was trying to use my 28/3.5 AI lens on the camera. Come to find out, that lens (I don't know why) isn't compatable with the F4. Thank goodness it's the only lens I own which isn't. It just happened to be the one I picked up to try out flash photography. Thank you for replying to my inquiry. Anyone looking for a 28/3.5 AI lens?

Jim,</p>

I suspect your 28mm f/3.5 AI is actually an "AI converted" lens. A true AI lens (serial numbers GREATER than 1760200) should be compatable with the F4. Serial numbers 352611 - 999999 are listed as incompatible - these are all non-AI s/n. I think it has something to do with interference issues inside the lens mount.</p>

This is a good site for Nikkor lens serial number history: <a href="http://home.aut.ac.nz/staff/rvink/nikon3.html">Nikkor Serial Numbers</a> </br>Scroll down and you will see all of the versions of the 28mm f/3.5 - perhaps yours was originally a "K" version as these look very much like the AI version.</p>

Cheers,</br>

Mike