Nikon f3 with Non AI Lenses?

cary_chin1

<p>Just a little note in response to Jean-Yves's Vivitar modification. This is definitely a working solution for pre AI Vivitar lenses (I did much the same with a piece of copper on my 20/3.5), and others whose aperture rings are flush with the mount, but will not work on Nikkors and many others, because the aperture ring extends further back. For those one must mill or file off part of the aperture ring. It's more work, but when done correctly it works well and the remaining un-removed part of the aperture ring works as the AI follower.</p>

<p>There are instructions in various places on the web that tell you exactly where the milling must end for different lenses (the step seen in upper left portion of picture) in order to duplicate the AI tab position. Shown is an old 85/1,8 lens milled to AI. Note that part of the rabbit ear base must also be removed. Most AI lenses have the ear base reversed for clearance. </p><div>00b1JY-503609584.jpg.fbd99553f9600b436a26b6a18fca56d9.jpg</div>

<blockquote>

</blockquote>

<p>"<em>The tab is native to the F4, making it the last film model which doesn't need modification to take pre-Ai lenses</em> ."<br>

Whatever. It was a fairly cheap mod but said more about Nikon's devotion to the F-mount than any real need for NAI lenses among F5 shooters in the late 90s. Still, I wonder if it's a possible mod on FX DSLRs?</p>

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
<p>Absolutely, all you have to do is flip the meter coupling prong out of the way. The F4 was the last F-series camera which had this feature. You will of course lose full auto metering. I have converted two non-AI lenses to AI using a Dremel and cut off wheel. Not a good idea if you don't have a steady hand. The trick is to make the cutout at the precise position you need. I found it on both by looking at photos of the AI versions of the same lens and then made my cut opposite the f/ number on the AI. Of course you want to take the aperture ring (you have to take off the mount first) because you don't want a bunch of aluminum particles to get inside the lens.</p>