Nikon F3 body focus adjustment question

photo5

My F3HP has a very slight focus error at infinity. It focuses very slightly past infinity with my 35-70mm

zoom (noticeable at 70mm), both my 50mm and 55mm lenses, both my 85mm lenses, and my 105mm

lens as well as my 70-300mm ED zoom.

I have 3 screens, the original K screen that came with it, an E screen, and an R screen that I recently

installed to replace the E screen. With the R screen, having the split image rangefinder in the center of the

viewfinder, it is easy to see the error when I focus on a tree at the top of a hill about a half mile away from

my home.

I have had the camera professionally overhauled since I bought it two years ago so it is in excellent

mechanical shape and works perfectly. I did some research on photo.net and came up on a couple of

possibilities.

The finder can be shimmed to adjust the body focus, or the lens mount can also be shimmed.

My slides and prints all look sharp to me. I try to compensate when I shoot at infinity and not focus past

infinity.

Is this something anyone else has run into with the F3? If so how have you corrected it?

Thanks,

Dave

If what you see in the viewfinder matches the film out of the camera, then don't worry about it. The way to check the focus is to use one of the focus test targets and see if the camera front or back focuses. When you shoot the targets, use the largest apertures that he lenses have and make sure that your exposure is accurate.

Dave, I have seen this anomaly with a number of cameras and lenses of various brands. Some are slightly long, some are slightly short and some are right on. However, in spite of the differences I have not noticed my negs/slides are affected by this small error as depth of field very easily takes care of the differences. The error can occur with both bodies and lenses. I wouldn't worry about it if the results are okay. I quit worrying about it years ago unless it is a serious problem, i.e., infinity focuses at a much closer distance.