Nikon F2SB

Discussion in 'Classic Manual Cameras' started by ben_hutcherson, Apr 5, 2018.

1. I can identify with that.
    Having worked an unusually large amount of overtime one season I bought a Remington Sendero in 300 Win Mag. It was identical to the Sendero I had bought earlier, only difference being the first was 25-06. Then I bought identical Leupold glass for both. When the wife saw me lapping the rings on the second one she said "I thought you just did that".
    " I wasn't quite right, I'm touching it up a bit"
    Plan worked well for months of shooting until she found both identical scope boxes buried behind my camera stuff in the top of the closet.....;)

2. LOL - I've used the old, "have you seen my xxx", Then there's the, "I lent this to a friend 10 years ago and he's finally bringing it back". The best scan I pulled was for a buddy. While he and his wife were on vacation, we left a message on his answering machine that he had one the raffle at the trap range for the S&W .40. (Ladies, please don't read any of this)

ben_hutcherson and Moving On like this.
  3. I have a lot of Fs and F2s, but my F2sb has always been my favorite user. Both of those systems, with all of their finders, screens, and accessories, were fantasticly versatile.

4. Let's try again

_BPL0358.JPG

James Bryant likes this.
  5. There again, I'm not quite in the position where I have to be accountable for it...but one of the nice things about being interested in S&W revolvers is that many of them look pretty darn similar.

Of course, that's also been to my detriment before. I have nickel M&Ps from the 1920s that look pretty darn similar, although there are some pretty obvious differences. Operationally, the biggest difference is that one is in 32-20 and the other in 38 Special. The 32-20 has a 5" barrel, and due to its age I opted for a set of late 'teens large gold medallion grips(that cost me nearly as much as the gun), while the 38 special is 4" and has standard 1920s issue grips with no medallions.

In any case, I was at the range one day, picked up what I THOUGHT was the 32-20, and proceeded to load and shoot it. I thought something was up when all it did was dimple the cover of the hard drive I was shooting at. I then turned around to dump the brass out of it, and the cases looked like the mouth of a trumpet. I looked at the gun in my hand, looked at the OTHER nickel revolver in my range bag, and finally put two and two together. Fortunately, that was about the safest cartridge mis-match I could have made.

6. Nice write-up, Ben. I love my F2SB, so much so that when an opportunity came along to buy another F2 (AS this time), I took it. Superbly built cameras.

7. In any case, I was at the range one day, picked up what I THOUGHT was the 32-20, and proceeded to load and shoot it. I thought something was up when all it did was dimple the cover of the hard drive I was shooting at. I then turned around to dump the brass out of it, and the cases looked like the mouth of a trumpet. I looked at the gun in my hand, looked at the OTHER nickel revolver in my range bag, and finally put two and two together. Fortunately, that was about the safest cartridge mis-match I could have made.[/QUOTE]

Did the same, but with .44 specials in a .45 Colt. No harm done. I wish I could fix my above typo. "won", not "one"

8. Gotta be careful with those similar calibers.
    Y'all keep talking the F2 stuff and I'll end up with one.

The FM2n just got a roll run through it last week.

There is an old saying though.
    "Beware of the man with one gun"
    He knows how to use it.
    I expect the same applies to cameras.
    I'm sorting out the differences between the FM2 and the F3 now.
    At least there's no risk blowing the lens off loading and shooting the wrong film, ;)
    I just enjoy using all of the old mechanical stuff so much and the craftsmanship, design,
    and quality that goes into a good shooting piece, be it gun or camera, has a strong appeal.

James Bryant likes this.
  9. I got my first F2 last fall and wish I hade done it sooner. Go ahead and take the plunge.

10. SPLASH.......
    Nikon F2AS.
    Should be here Friday or Saturday.

James Bryant likes this.
  11. Post a picture of it when it comes. I think you will enjoy it.

12. Will do.

13. If you're only going to have one F2, the F2AS is the one to have.

14. I miss my F2AS. I bought it in 1977 brand new as my very first camera. Someone stole from me in 1984. I haven't been able to buy a replacement since. However, my favorite camera is the F3HP.

15. Serial number suggests mfg. Sept.-Dec. 1978.
    Supposed to have new seals and bumper so I'll probably run a quick roll through to leak test it.

16. Manual Camera.jpg Little Fellow.jpg
    Ran a roll through this past week.....Will try hand at developing when I get a chance.
    Little fellow had me busy all week feeding through the night for several days. Had to put the F2 on hold for awhile.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  17. Nice F2 and little fellow.

18. All things considered, I must agree with a few others here about the Nikkormat EL/EL2 being my possible favorite shooter. But the F2 is definitely my next favorite! I own close to 50 or more each of the Nikon F and every itteration of the F2 possible. Including all of the various viewfinders for them - "normal", waist-level, photmic metered prisms, etc. I have had the master - Sover Wong - service 5 or 6 of my F2 cameras and could NOT be more pleased with his work! I began collecting working 35mm cameras in 2004 and, while an owner and fan of some of the finest Minoltas, Pentaxes, Canons and other brands, Nikon has taken the top spot in my collection. It's going to be literallly painful to start selling most of them on eBay or in facebook groups. I have collected several hundred cameras (all now working) over the past 14 years and feel that it is time to start selling so that others can experience the magic of analog photography before it all goes obsolete. SO happy to get back active in this group!

Moving On likes this.
  19. You're a rehabber? And only one kit? Usually they come by the bushel, if people know you're a rehabber. But, raccoon kits are definitely among the cutest of all furries.

20. Last edited: May 3, 2018
    James Bryant likes this.