Nikon F with waist-level finder

JDMvW

<p>Thought some of you might be interested to see the relatively unusual, but cheap and common, waist-level finder on a Nikon F.<br /> I've always felt that the non-Photomic Nikons with the plain prism are among the most beautiful SLRs ever made, but I have to admit that the waist-level finder may even be more funky than the Photomic heads.<br /> I won't post any pictures taken with the camera because in fact many of my postings were taken with essentially the same camera over the years.</p>

<p>And, yes, I will stipulate that it is even nicer in black, and wish I still had one that was.....</p><div>00RjC9-95791584.jpg.d906cef4ccc68debc28b9fb424abe18f.jpg</div>

<p>Naw, though do like the F2 and 3 models, I still think the first one is absolutely <em>classic</em> .<br /> Like the Contax S/Pentacon SLRs and the Praktina, it builds on what I think is also a classic RF look -- that of the Contax II cameras. (Of course, the Nikon RF cameras that were tranmogrified into the F were clones of the Contax, even to lens mount, bless them. Maybe someday I'll get meself a Nikon SP)<br /> As some of you already know, I was lucky enough to get a really, really rare, all-black Contax II in just minty condition from the former Soviet Union. Can you imagine? It was so well preserved, that the black lacquer still smelled fresh. ;)</p>

<p>I actually have a friend who used to shoot his F3 almost exclusivly mounted to a short tripod on the floor with a 15mm lens and a naked focusing screen.  He could have really used a WLF in those days.  He's moved on to digital, but the 15mm is still in his setup... the rear screen takes the place of the WLF I suppose. </p>

<p>My first SLR was a used Miranda with interchangeable screens and finders. In those days I sure could not afford a Nikon F! The first things I bought for the Miranda were a plain matte screen and a WLF. Acuatually used the WLF quite a bit. When the Apollo astronauts were in a parade I framed over the heads of the crowd with the camera up side down with a WLF. It was good for on the deck, wide angle shots too, didn't have to get your slacks in the mud to peer through a right angle attachment. I suppose that, as with all features, some need them, some don't.</p>

<p>About 6 years ago I had my first experience using a SLR WLF with an Exa. I was surprised how easy it was and how bright the screen was. I had used TLRs (Yashica) and the difference (to me) was night and days. THE GG on the TLR is kind of grayish and compatively dark compared to the bright 2.8 Tessar on the Exa. However, I recently used it and found it a PITA, mainly because of my failing eyesight, I couldn't decide what was focused, but I'm having similar problems with the TLR too! I agree JD, that the camera lines are often nicer, without a prism to spoil the effect!</p>

Beautiful set-up JDM. I posted recently the story of my Nikon F with the photomic prism which I dislike and looking after a normal eye-level prism I found out they are very pricey. WLF for this camera are cheaper but I'm not sure they are as good as the normal prism.

<p>JDM, I completely agree with you - the plain prism F is a very very classy looking camera. The irony is that the camera is better known with the Photomic head attached, which is a shame. I've wanted one of these waste level finders for a long time and have come very close to buying one for my Nikon (and for my Canon F-1 for that matter). I like the concept of waste level shooting - kinda inconspicuous, and I don't have a problem with landscape view only.<br>

I reccomend you also check out the Nikon DW-2 - the 6x WL magnifier. It is GREAT. Literally like a loupe on your focusing screen. I really regret that i didn't buy one when I had the chance (despite the price). Would have been great for my astrophotography.<br>

@ Kerry- I agree, the F2 does handle better... it was a very worthy replacement to the F.</p>

<p>According to <a title="link to serial #s" href="http://www.destoutz.ch/typ_production_data_f.html" title="link to serial #s">Nikon serial number listing</a> , mine was made in July to October, 1965.<br /> It is not true, as the listing above shows, except sometimes coincidentally, that the first two numbers are the year of manufacture.</p>

• 2 weeks later...
<p>That photo takes me back a lot of years. I had an F with the Photomic head and the waist level finder. I never found but one use for the waist level finder other than a conversation piece, and in that role it found plenty of use. That job was on a copy stand. It was murder trying to copy anything with an eye level finder (stepladder, anyone?), so I found a source for the waist level finder, got one and boy did it make a difference in neck strain!</p>

• 6 years later...

<p>As a long-after addition, the picture above was 2 pixels oversize, so didn't display. It didn't use to matter, but....<br>

Here is the Nikon F with the waist-level finder (also known sometimes as "waste-level") resized:</p>

<div>00dDLV-556029984.jpg.598ce1e5b264e6e5dbc50521f539321f.jpg</div>