Nikon F Photomic - Watkins Mill

<p>This camera came to me several years ago. It was something of a guilty pleasure since I already had a couple of nice F2's. It's simply a camera I drooled over back in high school but was unobtainable back then. My parents had the misguided notion that things like books, clothes, food and rent were somehow more important to spend $600 on. I had to content myself with a fixed-lens rangefinder like most of the guys (only guys, all boys Catholic school) in my photo club. One day, one of my classmates strolled into school with this exact camera. Mouths were agape and fingers trembled as we passed that black beauty around. We later learned the camera was borrowed without permission and I never touched another until I bought this one.</p>

<p>This is an early 1970's Nikon F Photomic with the FTn metering prism. Introduced in 1968, this camera, born and bred from the original 1959 F, and from the Nikon rangefinders that preceeded it, holds truly classic status in the history of photography. The FTn prism was the last metering prism offered on the F. There is so much bandwidth about this camera, one only needs a basic search to uncover a cornacopia of information.</p>

<p>A good place to start is here:<br>

<a href="http://mir.com.my/michaeliu/cameras/nikonf/foverview/fhistory.htm">http://mir.com.my/michaeliu/cameras/nikonf/foverview/fhistory.htm</a> and here:</p>

<p><a href="http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/michaeliu/cameras/nikonf/ffinders/fmeterprism.htm">http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/michaeliu/cameras/nikonf/ffinders/fmeterprism.htm</a></p>

<p>In the hands, the camera is solid and heavy. It has a strong, masculine design appeal, in its chunky blackness, and one can feel the legendary ruggedness. Much of the weight comes from the massive FTn Photomic prism which yeilds a basic 60/40 center-weighted metering pattern. I think driving tent stakes into permafrost would be no problem for this camera if needed.</p><div>00alE8-492935584.jpg.c83ee1e53592b353d598f8dbc7b98a67.jpg</div>

<p>The camera came supplied with the Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4 lens as one of it's options. A durable camera needs a well build optic and these early Nikkors are beautifully made of all metal construction with excellent optical qualities. To say "they don't make 'em like this anymore" is an understatement.</p><div>00alEB-492937584.jpg.55410223c10fffb494dfff2803b06ebf.jpg</div>

<p>Being a system guy I, of course, wanted to assemble a small but useful outfit to use. Unfortunetly, it was soon after aquiring the F that I got on a "smaller/lighter-is-better" kick and it sat mostly unused. I figured it sat long enough and thought it was high time to take it for a spin. So I packed the camera outfit, lunch, Fujicolor 400, and a small vial of Advil, and lugged this brass and glass classic out to the rural country side.</p>

<p>I had heard about Watkins' old woolen mill but had never visited even though it's only an hour away. I thought this would be a fun outing to take the F kit.</p><div>00alED-492939584.jpg.892ecc401c728a52f55ae350913fb618.jpg</div>

<p>Watkins Woolen Mill is located outside of Lawson, MO and is the only 19th century textile mill remaining in the United States that is complete with all the original machinery. Built by Waltus Watkins in 1860, the mill was build of handmade brick and run by steam.<br>

The smoke stack off the back was where the boiler was located and was fed 2.5 cords of wood per day. This provided the 60-horsepower slide-valve steam engine the power to operate the mill's looms and machines. The primary purpose was to convert raw wool into yarn and cloth. It employed 40 workers, including children, it it's heyday. The area is now a state historical site.</p><div>00alEF-492939684.jpg.c94fedd2ec6ee7c896a8cf21765d77a7.jpg</div>

<p>A place to wash up</p>

<p>The Nikon F outfit performed perfectly with smoothnesss and precision. The FTn meter worked well and I used it to make these exposures. Although not in-line with my current camera needs, the Nikon F Photomic is a true classic professional system that was fun to use. I have to admit, however, the vial of Advil came in handy. Thanks for looking.</p><div>00alEW-492947584.jpg.d8376b731529b933dcb303d94d5383bf.jpg</div>

<p>The pictures are great. Thanks.</p>

<p>I love my old, unfortunately silver, F, but I am amazed that your Photomic meter actually still works.<br>

I got my F for practically nothing with a non-working meter head, but ended up spending more than I did on the camera to get a plain prism head.</p>

<p>One of the minor joys of rewatching <em>Apocalypse Now</em> (the original) is Dennis Hopper's chest full of Nikons! </p>

<p>While in secondary school, a teacher offered me a weekend loan of one of these cameras. To say I was impressed by the responsibility would be an understatement. I treated it with the utmost care, and I believe I might have run a roll of film through it. I have no idea where that film is now, but the memory of that camera is one I'll never forget. That was the first time I used a Nikon, and as soon as I could afford one, I bought a Nikomat FTn, which I still have. I do remember being impressed by the sharpness of the images...noticeably better than whatever I was using at the time.</p>

<p>Very nice work! It's hard to pick a favorite, but something about the light in the outdoor shot of the mill building appeals to me, and "Hand Tools" and "Wash Bowl" are also standouts.</p>

<p>My local camera store has on consignment a really fine chrome F with the FTn finder and a Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4. I'm sorely tempted every time I see it, but I've resisted so far. I already have an F with the standard non-metering prism, but it's starting to show signs of flakiness (the advance lever locked up on me partway through a roll of film the last time I shot with it). Then again, I just bought an F3HP...</p>

<p>Wonderful presentation, pictures, and discussion Louis. The Nikon F with a standard non-metered prism was a stunningly beautiful camera, but I always felt the various metered prisms ruined its clean lines. Regardless, the historical significance of the Nikon F to photojournalism was monumental. For professionals, celebrities, and upwardly-ambitious amateurs this was <strong>the</strong> SLR to own, to use, and to be seen with. The Nikon F and Nikon lenses could certainly deliver the goods.</p>

<p>Brilliant as usual Louis, love that black Nikon! I only have the chrome versions, not nearly as elegant but they are still nice to use and the solidness has to be seen to be believed.<br>

I always reckon that you should experience a Rolleiflex, a screw Leica and a Nikon F before you die!<br>

The shots of the mill are fascinating as well, is this how it was left or is it a museum? Love those close ups of the tools, really well done...thanks for the post.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I have always found these Nikons to be the ugliest cameras from the era.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Oh NO, Mr. Starvy! You surely are only speaking of the Photomic head. The camera with the plain prism is way up there among the most beautiful SLR cameras ever made. And it's even prettier in black!</p><div>00alLF-493127584.jpg.ac91b5c43154be05d0ff319450e4b6f6.jpg</div>