Nikon f Photomic Tn Cable Release?

The connection point on this older Nikon is a male treaded coupling, needing a

female cable release. I went into the local photo shop, they don't carry this type.

Sooo... will have to do a search. Anybody know the proper name for this type of

cable release and perhaps where I may purchase one?

thanks p.

It's usually called a leica or Nikon cable release adapter. At one time it was sold as part of an after-market cable relase package. That's how I acquired all of mine. It's still available singly. Just search for it on e-Bay. If you live near a camera store like Ritz/Wolf or one of the few remaining camera stores you can probably get one for a few dollars.

http://photography.search.ebay.com/cable-release-adapter-leica_Cameras-Photo_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40QQsacatZ625

-Paul

If the sleeve around the shutter release button is threaded, then there are adapters that thread over this, and then you thread a standard cable release into the adapter. You can find these on ebay. Try this item id number 300224175167. It is listed right now.

Gents, Peter explicitly states that he is looking for a RELEASE, not an adapter. The proper name for the cable release you need for a Nikon F is the Nikon AR-2. It is widely available used. It can also be used on a Nikon F2.

You don't "need" an AR-2 release and, even when I was shooting a Nikon Photomic back in the day and even though I was a Nikonholic twenty-some years ago, I opted for buying the little adapter- see Adorama link above- and a standard cable release. This allowed me to save a little bag space by carrying one standard cable release that fit other cameras I was shooting- e.g. and F3.

I will reply here to one of a few questions I rec'd in an email about the Nikon F and F2, among them a request for clarification re: Craig's comment. The person was confused by his referring to the AR-2 as being 'just a cable release with the adapter built in'. The person was under the impression that if the 'adapter' Craig alluded to was removed, a different type of connector would be revealed, thus permitting the cable to be used on a different type of shutter button, e.g. F3, FM, etc.

There is no adapter on the AR-2. It has a threaded collar that 1) is permanently attached to the cable housing and 2) threads onto the collar surrounding the F's shutter release button. There is nothing removable on the AR-2 short of disassembling it. An adapter, by definition, refers to using a device to connect two parts for which one was not originally intended. The AR-2 was designed to be used on the Nikon F.

The more common cable release familiar to owners of the Nikon F3, F4, FM family, FE family, etc. is referred to as an 'ISO thread cable release' or in Nikon-speak, the AR-3. It is this cable that could be mated to the adapters mentioned above...assuming you already own the cable.

While on the subject of Nikon F cabled-shooting, you might read or hear of people saying that one essentially 'wastes' a frame in order to utilize the mirror lock-up feature, the rationale being that the mirror wonメt lock-up until <after> the initial exposure . (The mirror-lock button is located directly below the depth-of-field preview button.) Thus, when anticipating the need for mirror-lock, engage the lock button before your last 'regular' exposure and the mirror will remain up for subsequent exposures. To return the mirror to the 'down' or normal position, simply disengage the lock button and the mirror will immediately fall.

When the mirror flips to the 'up' position it causes the camera to vibrate. This seemingly miniscule amount of vibration is more than sufficient to result in a blurred exposure among slower shutter speeds. Thus, given sufficient time between 'mirror-up' and the actual exposure, all mirror-induced vibrations will have ceased.

And if you don't want to waste a frame and the shutter is cocked, turn the lockup button, and give the shutter button a light "tap" or "slap" with your finger, usually takes a couple tries to get it to trip the mirror release without firing the shutter. It's worked on every F I've tried it on.

Peter,

I certainly hope you find your cable or adapter, whichever suits your fancy.

It always amazes me how some people crawl out of the woodwork, to make a simple question, into some kind of anal retentive battle on here. They clearly are not having FUN with photography or enjoying life in general. They are potential heart attack and stroke victims, that need to spend a weekend with an antique box camera and have a "Simplicity of life" therapy session.

Note: This is only a personal opinion, not professional, and I won't charge you for this advise.

Have fun or don't do it ! Motto of the day.

Know the difference between 'advice' and 'advise'? Several people took their time to offer valuable and helpful information. Your junior-high psycho-babble and trite motto is of no help. Speaking of the anal region, where is your head?

Alex,

That is my point exactly. You said "Several people took their time to offer valuable and helpful information." Like Craig and some of the others above who were offering helpful suggestions only to be criticized for their effort, to the point of saying "I guess I will be more cautious about offering any possible solutions in the future." Some of us are here tring to help others, while some are here to criticize and in some cases just be cruel. I think my head is in the right place and I never claimed to be able to spell correctly. I was hoping my comment would be of help in the future to get people to lighten up and be able to help others. If you think that is " junior-high psycho-babble ", so be it.