Nikon F Finder Eyepiece Missing

John Seaman

I've acquired a nice old Nikon F and separately (and quite cheaply) a metering prism. I can't get the meter working, which doesn't bother me as the prism itself is in good shape. However when it arrived I realised that the eyepiece was missing. I eventually found a small lens with around the right diopter for my eyesight, and managed to trap it behind a third party eye cup attached via the two fixing holes, it looks ugly bit it does work.

I even extracted the eyepiece lens from a scrap EM, and ground a little off the sides so that it would fit in the recess, but it was nowhere near getting clear focus.

Obviously I would like to somehow find the correct part. Any ideas please? Thanks in advance.

FTb.thumb.jpg.53a02b8f0a5a09573a8ee928fcb8f28b.jpg FTa.thumb.jpg.0547dac701e8372713efc933b90dc835.jpg Fk.thumb.jpg.66d3fca49673fb54585b747b57bb9944.jpg

Edited by John Seaman

Thanks for the response. Yes, another finder would be ideal, and the meter might even work. Actually this one only cost me £20, and the camera was for spares or repair (although I got it working with some TLC). The whole thing was just an excercise in bringing them both back into use.

I do have a plain finder which is on another camera, so I could use that at a pinch.

I am another who thinks that the original plain prism on the Nikon F makes it a design classic.

The catch is that usually the plain prism finder costs a lot more than the Nikon F body, or it did when I got mine....

NIkon-F-finders.jpg.a2529039be683c3562cca980e0d4a835.jpg

finders, keepers

I saw an ad yesterday several meters for parts - couldn't find it but did find this Link

Thanks Sandy, actually I'm in the UK, and shipping costs are prohibitive. Also that finder is also missing the eyepiece section! I also have a black F2 plain finder, but I think the Nikon F nameplate would need removing to use that, which I'd want to avoid.

It seems even the waist level finders are very expensive nowadays.

Thanks Sandy, actually I'm in the UK, and shipping costs are prohibitive. Also that finder is also missing the eyepiece section! I also have a black F2 plain finder, but I think the Nikon F nameplate would need removing to use that, which I'd want to avoid.

It seems even the waist level finders are very expensive nowadays.

Unfortunately, can't recall where I saw the offering of several at a modest price - I usually select free shipping as a filter. Possibly I can find it again or it may just be gone. UK of course adds to the cost issue!

Find someone selling the finder, then have them remove the part you want and mail that.

Should fit in an ordinary mailing envelope. There is an extra charge when it is thicker than 0.25in for US mail,

I don't know about other countries.

-- glen