Nikon F Eye Level Finder Glass

<p>The last piece of glass in mine is broken / missing. (The lens nearest the eye piece). Anyone have any ideas where to find one of these? It came this way years ago (c 1980's) at a yard sale for about $5.</p>

<p>I have a few old F's and many broken metered heads. It would be nice to be able to shoot w/o the bulk of the broken meters.<br /> The finder is useless w/o this too. It produces a sort of backwards binocular effect.</p>

<p>Does anyone have a damaged unusable finder? But with a good rear lens?</p>

<p>You mean the little glass screw-in cover?<br /> If so, it's called the "Viewfinder Eyepiece" and there is a pdf that shows all the variants for all models if you search for "Nikon Viewfinder Eyepiece Application Reference".</p>

<p>In it, it says</p>

<blockquote>

<p>Standard eyepieces supplied with Nikon SLR cameras have no corrective value and are for dust protection only. Select eyepieces are supplied with a rubber coating designed to lessen scratching of a photographer’s<br />eyeglasses.<br />• Nikon SLR cameras (without built-in adjustable eyepiece correction) have a base diopter value of minus one.<br />This is why you won’t find an accessory Nikon eyepiece diopter valued at minus one. Minus one is considered<br />the optimum starting point for the majority of SLR users with normal vision. The combination of the camera’s<br />viewfinder components and a clear (standard) eyepiece form a virtual image of a subject on the camera’s<br />focusing screen that is the approximate equivalent of a viewing distance of one meter.<br />• Each Nikon eyepiece diopter incorporates a numerical value, represented by a minus value (nearsighted) or a<br />plus value (farsighted) number, enabling you to select the appropriate diopter for your vision and your camera<br />model. The eyepiece’s diopter value is, when combined with the viewfinder’s minus one value, the end-result value. No combination of the camera’s base value of minus one and a given accessory diopter’s<br />value is required to arrive at the final desired value. In other words, if you require a diopter of plus 3, simply add a plus 3 diopter to your camera.<br />• Neutral correction eyepieces do not replace the supplied standard eyepiece. The use of a neutral correction eyepiece will change the diopter value of the camera from minus one to zero.</p>

</blockquote>

<p>The vast majority of Nikon Fs are missing this little item since rubbing against clothing seems to loosen it and it falls off easily.</p>

<p>The original item in a plastic box is available fairly widely - the replacement number is 2923 for the Nikon F, other numbers are for correction diopters...<br /> I think I paid over $20US the last time I bought one.</p>

<p>http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00ZLss also</p>