Gear:

Nikon FM3a , Nikkor AIS 100mm f/2.8

Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 D

I am planning to buy:

Nikon F100

and two lenses, I was thinking about:

Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 ED AF-S about us$ 300

Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 ED about us$ 265

or should I by prime lenses? (I already have 50mm and 100mm)

maybe 28mm prime and a 100mm macro?

or better: another zoom lens (in the range of 28-100) ?

I don't know a lot about nikon zoom lens quality

ANY reply is very helpful, thank you very much!

God bless you.

I travelled for 30 years with only a 50mm lens.

I can't travel now due to medical reasons, but if I could, I would give serious consideration to taking only a 50mm 1.8 for low light, and my 28-105D Nikkor for everything else (because it distinguishes itself with low distortion for a consumer zoom - important for city shots, etc.).

I personally wouldn't bring a longer prime lens or zoom, simply because (1) I like to travel light, and (2) I find they are not of much use without a tripod, and I would never bother with a tripod when travelling. However, if I did, it would be the 70-300D zoom (that's the D, not G). Good quality, relatively small size and weight.

What about a 28/2.8 AFD and a 180/2.8 AFD? The 180/2.8 is said to have an excellent feel in manual focus as well, better than most AF primes, and most definitely better than any AF zoom.

On the other hand, are you willing to learn to use 2 new lenses *and* a new body before your trip? If yes, be sure to buy them in advance, and maybe to stage your purchases so that you have time to get used to each item individually.

Just my 2 cents (the rest is your money!)

If I were you, I would travel MUCH lighter.

BTW, what I travel with is a Nikon FG or two, a very good 28-70mm zoom (24-85 would be of similar use) a 105mm or 135mm tele, and a 2X converter. Depending on the subject matter I expected to see, I might add a 17mm or 20mm prime to the kit.

One thing I would NOT do is mix AF and MF gear. It's just a waste of bulk and weight. Either go with one or the other, whichever you are more comfortable with.

You are already shooting primes, so I think adding more primes would be a good call. Also, if you buy a lens like that 24-85, you won't be able to use it on your FM3a, which sucks. It is nice to have more than one camera for multiple film types or for a backup.

An F100, 24-50AFD, 70-300AFD is the basis for my light weight travel kit. The 24-50 isn't commonly available anymore, so if I were starting fresh I might consider one of the newer lenses (but only if it worked with my MF gear). I carry an SB-28DX flash as well.

To that, I'll add, depending on what I think I'll run into: a 35/1.4 AIS or an 85/1.8 AFD (*something* in the way of fast glass is almost always in my bag); a 20/2.8 AFD if it seems I'll be in close quarters. My preferred second body for travel is an F2AS. If I'm really struggling with weight, I'll substitute an FG. (so yes, I do mix AF and MF gear, and I just try to avoid stuff that doesn't cross over, like 'G' lenses.)

Actually zoom lenses are good for traveling light. The 70-300 (not the G) is a good choice. I have the 24-85 AF-S G; it would have been an excellent choice too except that you have the FM3a, but there are many other lenses in that focal length range, such as some 28-105. Otherwise, the 24mm/f2.8 is a good lens to have all around.

It is important to have a 2nd body as a backup. If that is too heavy for you to carry around every day, just leave it in the hotel or other safe place. At least you'll have a backup with you just in case your main camera breaks down.

Keep in mind that most likely you'll be using these lenses after the trip. So get something that works for you for the longer run, not just for this trip.

You didn't tell us why your buying the F100. I'm going to assume that it is your entry into AF technology and you want to use your existing lenses with it.

The 24-85 G AFS is fast AF but unusable on your FM3a; however, the 24-85 f/2.8-4 AFD that I own is! I don't carry 24/28/35mm primes unless I know I'm going after a backlight shot where the flare performance of the primes is a consideration. The AFD version is also close focusing. The worst thing is the 72mm huge front object screams theft target.

The higher the zoom ratio (3.4 for 28-85mm), the more expensive (cost and weight) it is to produce a quality zoom especially at the wide end. The 28-105 f/3.5-4.5 AFD is another lens to consider.

Spending $1000 on a body and $565 on glass is backwards for someone serious about producing high quality work (a profile your FM3a setup matches).

Most people can't hand-hold a compact light weight 300mm setup with a high keeper ratio with low ISO film (including me). Consider this when making film choices when a tripod isn't an option.

I have traveled several times, including to Israel, with a combination of AF and FM bodies with a single set of lenses. I would recommend two bodies so that you can have two different types/speed of film loaded. (I usually keep slow film in the MF body and fast in the AF.) The Nikon 28-105 is a great all around lens, but I hardly ever use it on a MF body. Get it for the F100. Get a 24/2.8 prime to use on either. This is is good enough to use wide open in dim places like the Church of the Holy Seplure. For the long end the 70-300 ED is a good lightweight lens, and although I have one, I perfer using a 180/2.8. It's not a small light lens, but pictures shot at f4, of people, can be spectacular.

It seems you already have a pretty good travel kit. Add an extra body if you want to use different kinds of film or if you want to reduce virtually no chance of camera failure during the trip to virtually no chance of camera failure during the trip.

Other than that, in your place I might consider a wideangle like a 28mm or 24mm prime, but that would be it.

The FM3a is a very reliable camera, but if you are serious about your photography, definitely bring two bodies. When I travel, I actually bring 3 Nikon bodies, but I usually go to very remote destinations where there aren't camera stores and the environment is harsh.

Cameras can be dropped, they can be stolen, they can be left behind .... A 2nd body is like insurance. Fortunately, other than my F4's flash sync stopped working after several years, none of my Nikon bodies has ever failed.

Roberto, I would go with the 24mm. On film bodies, the 20mm is somewhat an extreme lens creating a more special effect. Some people specalize in that effect, but it is not for everybody and I wouldn't get a 20mm without having a 24mm first to cover the more "normal" situations. The 28mm is good but sometimes not wide enough.

My main wide angle now is a 17-35mm zoom, but as a backup, I also have a 24mm/f2.8 AF-D. So I do "practice what I peach."

Roberto: 24mm/2.8AFD is the best of the 3 you mentioned, followed by the 20/2.8AFD. Notice that the 20-35/2.8AFD (now discontinued) or the current 17-35/2.8AFD are almost as sharp as the 24/2.8AFD, on par with the 20/2.8AFD and significantly better than the 28/2.8AFD.

If you *really* want sharp, 28/2.8AIS is said to be the sharpest wide-angle ever made by Nikon.

SO, AFTER ALL THE REPLIES I GET THIS GEAR:

Nikon F100

Nikon FM3a

Nikon 24mm f/2.8(D)

Nikon 50mm f/1.8(D)

Nikon 105mm f/2.8(AIS)

Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-5.6 G AF-S (ok a G lens)

I think it's a fine gear, thanks for everybody that helped =)

If any other consideration, please add, It's more than welcome!

Looks like a good system to me. Since the incompatibility between a G lens and the FM3a is not an issue for you, the only potential major problem is that the longest focal length is 105mm.

Only you can decide whether that is a problem or not.

I started with a fm2n, 50/1,4 - Later a 105/2,5, a 200/4 and a 24/2,8 came in.

With a F70, "stolen" from my father I bought an older 80-200/2,8AFED, which works quickly both with and without autofocus.

Today I use only the 24/2,8 and the 80-200/2,8 - Picturequality is perfect.

SO - Bottom line - Get an old pro-zoom secondhand - You will not regret.<div>005Ja0-13224684.jpg.f62cee890ba41b4569918f6126ae0f5e.jpg</div>

I've traveled a good bit this year and to keep things light I carried prime lenses. Most of the shots I've taken have been with a 24 f/2.8 and an 85 f/1.8. I also carried a 180 f/2.8 in my bag but it takes fast film and good light to hand hold. I also have a 50 f/1.8 but haven't used it all that much. With the 24 and the 85, and 400 ASA B&W film, I can almost shoot in the dark. I also have good mobility and flexibility with Provia 100, which is my choice for color. With variable aperture zooms, you need to shoot fast film, which pretty much limits you to print film. Fixed aperture zooms are great but HEAVY. Consider primes.