Nikon earnings drop 71%

Discussion in 'News' started by invisibleflash, Aug 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. "As if there wasn't already enough doom and gloom in the camera industry, Nikon has released its first quarter FY2020 financial results. Hit by a shrinking market and the initial costs of developing Z-mount lenses, Nikon has reported a huge 71% decrease in earnings and an almost 15% drop in revenue."

Is this the end of Nikon as we know it? Fiscal report shows 71% drop in earnings

Unrealistic to think people will keep buying and buying $$ cameras every year or two. It is not like getting the latest cell phone. Plus zillions of cameras out there in phones.

2. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

What a pleasant fellow.

PapaTango and Stephen_Prunier like this.
  3. They still make profit:)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    ruslan and Vincent Peri like this.
  4. I dimly recall that Nikon is part of some larger Japanese industrial combine, but can't find out what it is, if any.

I know that the camera business of Canon is just a part of a much larger company (Keiretsu) which some have speculated gives them more cushion from particular photographic 'trends'.

Can anybody point me in the right direction? My knowledge on these lines is limited to the German cases, especially the VEBs of the old DDR.

5. Nikon is part of the Mitsubishi keiretsu: Company Profile - mitsubishi.com
    Canon is part of the Fuyo keiretsu.
    Don't think it means that Mitsubishi "owns" Nikon though.

6. Sandy Vongries

Sandy Vongries Administrator Staff Member

Is the relationship similar to Interessengemeinschaft? A lot in common from the past - esp photographically.

7. Read here

8. From the article "Nikon has released its first quarter FY2020 financial results". Aren't we in 2019?

9. Predictions and stocks share prices is the most stupid thing when it concerns economy - almost never come true. 71% drop looks even more laughable, why not 69% or 73%?

10. Those numbers look "nasty" for Nikon's share holders but we are still quite distant from financing dual card slot Z bodies via Kickstarter, aren't we?
    So what does this mean for consumers?

11. Maybe more a conglomerate than a syndicate (which is what a Interessengemeinschaft is)?

12. The relationship between fiscal years and actual calendars is mostly arbitrary. Nikon’s fiscal year 2019 ended March 31 and their Q1 2020 was April-June of 2019.

13. I have read quarterly statement before, they still make profit, they make less of profit, but that's applied to all camera companies, including Sony.
    And they are in 2020 fiscal year, starting from March 31:)

ruslan likes this.
  14. Thanks I did not know it for Japan.
    But operating profit depends on many factors. Net profit matters for the whole year.
    Yea, I know, I know, camera businnes is in decline.
    People are oversupplied and overloaded with cameras.
    New staff is ridicuosly costly. Not only Nikon, everything. Canon RF, Milvus lenses, Fuji GFX, Zeiss Loxia....

Once people got 50/1.7 for 200 USD and were happy!

15. Considered a blue chip in the West? Anybody had its shares?

16. Yes, any 1.8 or 2.8 lens cost a fortune now and their performance is mediocre. Camera makers successfully have squeezed out of market most of their advanced amateurs and semipros consumers. Sony wants $350CAD for nifty fifty, I personally will stay with my kit lens, it has pretty much the same optical quality at 50mm. For low light I have my trusty Canon 24-70/2.8.

17. AJG

AJG

Actually, many current Pentax lenses don't have f/stop rings, so while they will physically mount to that vintage K 1000 they won't allow any choice of aperture except the minimum f/stop (f/22 or 32) that the lens stops down to.

Jochen likes this.
  18. No, it is not 45%, Canon 1DX Mark ll or Nikon D5 or Sony A9, they don't take 45% of market. Mid-range is probably most important segment, but mid-range lenses are become too expensive. What is a point to buy relatively "cheap" Sony A7lll if price of semi- decent lens is prohibitively high.

19. The reason is: 16-18 Mp camera is enough for A2 print. The crowd of semi-pros seldom print A1 size. ISO 400-800 of older EOS-1Ds mk2 (let alone Mk3) is good enough and better than Fuji X-t3. (x-h1). Real quality of cameras doesn't grow so evidently, it;s all fuss over features. Instagram is not demanding to quality (0.8 Mp is enough) so why overspend? Many new lenses are flat rendering being brutally sharp and expensive. So, older cameras with classy low element count lenses are just pleasure.

20. 2007 camera technology (Olympus E-420), JPEG out of the camera (no editing I swear). Ideal for A3. Pocket size. Smokes every smartphone. Why overspend?
    The boom in SLR and digital cam industry was 2005-2013, IMO.

View attachment 1306357