Nikon E serie lens

duguay_vincent

What do you think of E serie lenses quality owing to your experience?

Today I found a 35mm f2.5 for a fair price so I wonder. Should I save

for a real 35mm f2 ais (a lot more bucks in this case) or E serie is

enough if I don't make wall size pictures.

The other 35mm lens I know is my Olympus muµII and the 35mm setting

of my Sigma 28-70 f2.8

The Nikkor MF 35/2 is better than the Series E at the limits of technique: tripod, mirror lock-up, cable shutter release, careful exposure, etc. To a critical eye, it is slightly sharper at the corners wide open, but indistinguishible from the Series E by f/5.6. Hand-held, I'll take the Series E anyday. Tiny, light as a feather, well-made, and as you know, very inexpensive. Buy it and start to save for a current AF 35/1.4 - a truly magnificent lens.

I bought a 35mm Series E in beautiful condition for $40.00. I admit that I have not done any critical tests, but the results have been fine. Come to think of it, I think I only shot black and white film with it. I've since purchased the 35mm F2 AF Nikon, so the 35mm Series E isn't in the bag anymore. At the least, I think the 35mm Series E is an economical way to try out the 35mm prime to see if it suits your tastes.

I used to shoot with the 100mm Series E f2.8. For portaits, I can't complain. One of my favorite candid portraits of my daughter was shot with this lens at F2.8. I have since purchased the 135mm F2, so I rarely shoot the 100mm anymore. I was happy with the 100mm, however. Again, another economical way to try out this focal length. However, I believe it was the only 100mm lens Nikon ever made. You'll have to buy an 85mm or 135mm in order to "upgrade".

I bought a series E 35mm 2.5 about six weeks ago, I spent 60 pounds. I

agree, the bokeh is pretty cool, also, it focusses very close (30cm). It's the only

lens I use at present, for photojournalism (environmental portraits mainly) and

the glorious swiss landscape. P.S. It got a ding the other day, and now the

focussing is a bit stiff- does anyone know if this is fixable, and will it cost more

than the lens?