Nikon DX lenses on Sony A6000

Discussion in 'Nikon' started by ussorca, Nov 18, 2014.

1. I'm a Nikon D90 shooter with a variety of DX lenses (i.e. 50mm 1.8D, 85mm 1.8D, 55-300 4.5-5.6G and a Tamron SP 90mm 2.8m). I would like to add a smaller camera to be kept in my car for occasional use. The Sony A6000 with the 16-50mm lens is attractive for its size and many features. I will need to buy an adapter to use any of my Nikon mount gear but that will not be a problem.
    I would like to get some feedback from actual A6000 users about the camera itself, and also from users who have tried some of these DX lenses on the A6000.
    Thanks for the help.

2. ShunCheung

ShunCheung Administrator

First of all, most of your lenses are not DX lenses, but that is besides the point. However, something like the 55-300 G lens (which is DX), there is no aperture ring and it is going to be difficult (although possible) to control the aperture on a Sony body.
    A lot of the Sony APS-C format mirrorless camera bodies are small, but their lenses are not necessarily small. Mounting the large Nikon lenses on it pretty much negates the small body argument.
    If you want a small camera body, consider the Nikon D3000 series such as the D3200, D3300. If you want to go Sony, I would highly recommend using Sony mirrorless lenses on it.

3. Not on the A6000 but on its predecessor NEX 6 - tried the Tokina 11-16/2.8 and also the 35/1.8DX. You need a special adapter that allows aperture control - which in case of the adapter I used doesn't stop down in full f-stops but some arbitrary amount.
    Here is an image of the Tokina mounted on the NEX 6: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beachwalker2007/9271057515 The combo handled surprisingly well - despite the obvious size mismatch. But the funky aperture control and the loss of AF aren't worth it in the end. Something that works in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use.
    The 55-300 is about 5 inches long - about the same as the Nikon Series E 75-150: https://www.flickr.com/photos/beachwalker2007/9585788445

4. Even as an A6000 user, I agree with Shun's point -- if you want a smaller, lighter body to use with your Nikkors, Nikon has several alternatives.
    On the other hand, much of my work involves photographing small products, and the A6000 combined with the 50/3.5 Micro-Nikkor (sometimes a 75-150E with short tubes) does very nicely. But -- these are situations with fixed lighting and the camera on a support. Shooting in aperture priority is very straightforward. My Nikon-to-Sony adapter is a simple aluminum tube from Kiwi. No electronics or optics.
    For more dynamic situations, I favor using the A6000 with its own lenses, generally the 20/2.8 or the newer 16-50 OSS. It is a very nice small camera and the menus on the A6000 are a breeze compared to the earlier NEX5 and its siblings.

5. I don't see the D90 as a large camera, and as an older model it's probably one I would be more likely to keep in the car (subject to heat, cold, vibrations, potential theft, etc.) than a newer camera. And if you're going to carry the various lenses around I don't think shaving a an inch off the size of the body makes much difference, especialy if you're going to have to deal with the problems of using one camera maker's lens on another camera.

When I don't want to lug my whole Nikon rig, I carry a Canon Powershot G15. It certainly can't do everything my DSLRs and full range of lenses can do, but it's good enough to most unexpected grab shots and a fair range of serious work (within its limitations) as well. Fits in a pocket and weighs a few ounces. Nikon makes comparable models.

6. the d90 isnt all that big, especially when fitted with a small prime. i like the way it fits in my hand, and some of the weight helps balance longer/heavier lenses. what really makes the kit bulky is carrying a bunch of lenses. the a6k +16-50 is a smaller package no doubt if weight shaving matters. and it has good video capabilities. but the minute you stick a long tele on a mirrorless camera you lose the size/weight advantage. i would agree with graham that a second system is best with its own lenses.

7. Thanks for giving me your thoughts, (and your correction, Shun). I'll let Nikon be Nikon, and a second system for the car stand on its own.