Nikon DX lenses on Sony A6000

ussorca

<p>I'm a Nikon D90 shooter with a variety of DX lenses (i.e. 50mm 1.8D, 85mm 1.8D, 55-300 4.5-5.6G and a Tamron SP 90mm 2.8m). I would like to add a smaller camera to be kept in my car for occasional use. The Sony A6000 with the 16-50mm lens is attractive for its size and many features. I will need to buy an adapter to use any of my Nikon mount gear but that will not be a problem.<br>

I would like to get some feedback from actual A6000 users about the camera itself, and also from users who have tried some of these DX lenses on the A6000.<br>

Thanks for the help.</p>

<p>First of all, most of your lenses are not DX lenses, but that is besides the point. However, something like the 55-300 G lens (which is DX), there is no aperture ring and it is going to be difficult (although possible) to control the aperture on a Sony body.</p>

<p>A lot of the Sony APS-C format mirrorless camera bodies are small, but their lenses are not necessarily small. Mounting the large Nikon lenses on it pretty much negates the small body argument.</p>

<p>If you want a small camera body, consider the Nikon D3000 series such as the D3200, D3300. If you want to go Sony, I would highly recommend using Sony mirrorless lenses on it.</p>

<p>Not on the A6000 but on its predecessor NEX 6 - tried the Tokina 11-16/2.8 and also the 35/1.8DX. You need a special adapter that allows aperture control - which in case of the adapter I used doesn't stop down in full f-stops but some arbitrary amount. </p>

<p>Here is an image of the Tokina mounted on the NEX 6: <a href=" Sony NEX 6 with Fotodiox Nik(G) - NEX Adapter and Tokina 11-16/2.8 The combo handled surprisingly well - despite the obvious size mismatch. But the funky aperture control and the loss of AF aren't worth it in the end. Something that works in a pinch, but I wouldn't recommend it for everyday use. </p>

<p>The 55-300 is about 5 inches long - about the same as the Nikon Series E 75-150: <a href=" Sony NEX 6 with Nikon Series E 75-150/3.5

<p>Even as an A6000 user, I agree with Shun's point -- if you want a smaller, lighter body to use with your Nikkors, Nikon has several alternatives.<br>

On the other hand, much of my work involves photographing small products, and the A6000 combined with the 50/3.5 Micro-Nikkor (sometimes a 75-150E with short tubes) does very nicely. But -- these are situations with fixed lighting and the camera on a support. Shooting in aperture priority is very straightforward. My Nikon-to-Sony adapter is a simple aluminum tube from Kiwi. No electronics or optics.<br>

For more dynamic situations, I favor using the A6000 with its own lenses, generally the 20/2.8 or the newer 16-50 OSS. It is a very nice small camera and the menus on the A6000 are a breeze compared to the earlier NEX5 and its siblings.</p>

<p>I don't see the D90 as a large camera, and as an older model it's probably one I would be more likely to keep in the car (subject to heat, cold, vibrations, potential theft, etc.) than a newer camera. And if you're going to carry the various lenses around I don't think shaving a an inch off the size of the body makes much difference, especialy if you're going to have to deal with the problems of using one camera maker's lens on another camera.<br /><br />When I don't want to lug my whole Nikon rig, I carry a Canon Powershot G15. It certainly can't do everything my DSLRs and full range of lenses can do, but it's good enough to most unexpected grab shots and a fair range of serious work (within its limitations) as well. Fits in a pocket and weighs a few ounces. Nikon makes comparable models.</p>

<p>the d90 isnt all that big, especially when fitted with a small prime. i like the way it fits in my hand, and some of the weight helps balance longer/heavier lenses. what really makes the kit bulky is carrying a bunch of lenses. the a6k +16-50 is a smaller package no doubt if weight shaving matters. and it has good video capabilities. but the minute you stick a long tele on a mirrorless camera you lose the size/weight advantage. i would agree with graham that a second system is best with its own lenses.</p>