Nikon DSLR on a Budget

mike_vine

<p>Hi - my son is showing an interest in photography of late - specifically people & portraits. Given his limited budget (about £250) I am suggesting a Nikon D50 with a 50mm F1.8 AFD rather than a higher spec compact on the same budget. I never had/used a D50 so would appreciate any thoughts/gotcha's on this combination that anybody can spot.... P.S. to date he has been used to very basic 'point and shoot'. Thanks !</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The D50 is ok; along with the D70/D70S, it has by far the worst viewfinder among all Nikon SLRs, but I recall back when those were current DSLRs, at least I thought it was acceptable. Recently, I looked thru those viewfinders again and found them quite annoying.</p>

<p>I would get your son a starter zoom, though, even something as simple as a 18-55mm AF-S. The 50mm/f1.8 AF-D is a fine lens, but it is a short tele on any DX body. When that is the only lens you have, I think that is very restrictive.</p>

<p>Hi Shun - thanks for such a prompt response - given your comments I clearly need to have quick look at a D50. Regarding the lens - given his focus on photographing people I am suggesting the 50 F1.8 because of its quality as a low cost portrait lens - need to check out with him again before buying. Thanks again.</p>

<p>The 50mm/f1.8 should be a good lens for portrait on any DX DSLR, but if that is the only lens you son has, I don't think that is a good idea. Recently a friend bought a used 18-70mm AF-S DX for some $150 or so in the US. Perhaps your son can add something like that in the near future. The 18-55 should be even more affordable.</p>

<p>The viewfinder issue is very personal. If you haven't paid attention to that, both you and especially you son should find a D50 and look through it. He is the one who will be stuck with that viewfinder for a while. He could be happy with it; it is totally up to him to decide.</p>

<p>I recently acquired a D50 for an extra body. I also have a D40 and FX body. My issue with the D50 is not so much with the viewfinder as it is the monitor (the D40's [and newer models] are far superior. Keep in mind that mage quality at lower ISOs is pretty much the same for all of these cameras and if shooting RAW, you can get very good prints at ISO 1600 from the D50 with proper post processing. The thing I really like about the D50 is its size as it is a bit bigger and easier to handle [for me] than the D40 and similarly sized bodies. The D50 also has the advantage of having a motor to operate the inexpensivef50mm f1.8. Newer models in the same class would require the much more expensive 50mm f1.4 AF-S lens to enable auto focus.</p>

<p>For the body/lens/budet combination you list, the D50 is a good way to go.</p>

<p>250 pounds should buy you a used D80. It's a decent camera to start with, and a lot better than the D50, I believe. It has a built in motor, so you can give him the cheap but excellent 50mm F1.8. There is no specifcic need for the AFD. You could get the regular AF. AFD is only of value for flash photography, the non D version cheaper.</p>

<p>I haven't heard of the metering issues Elliot mentioned - frankly I did not look it up, but I am confident that his warning is evidence based.</p>

<p>I used a D80 for a short period of time, and was very pleased with the results. Now I moved on to the D700, but that is a different story and price.</p>

<p>@ Arthur Richardson - The D50 has a built in screw drive motor. I believe you are confusing the AF-D and AF-S versions of the lens.</p>

<p>@ the OP - The D50 is a fine camera, although I would concur that a newer body will give you both a superior viewfinder and superior rear LCD. Another lens to consider is the fairly inexpensive AF-S 35mm f/1.8. It is as close to "normal" as you can get on a DX format camera. The 50mm is a fine lens and I think everyone should have one, but the 35mm seem a much more usable focal length for most users.</p>

<p>I would also consider an inexpensive zoom like the 18-55mm as Shun suggests prior to purchasing a prime lens so that your son can figure out which focal lengths he will be using most often. </p>

<p>Good luck on your purchase<br>

RS</p>

<p>The D80's metering issue is well documented, but for any DSLR, metering cannot be that seriously a problem as you can always verify it with the histogram review. (Unless you shoot sports or news such that you have no second chance.) Also if you switch to center weighted, there should be no problem.</p>

<p>If the D80 fits your budget, I would consider that over the D50, but typically I think lenses are a higher priority than bodies. In other words, I would have some other lens in additional to a fixed 50mm before spending money on a higher-end body, since apparently the overall budget is a concern here.</p>

<p>The D80 can do some pretty good stuff. IMO much preferable to the D50 (I owned both.) The metering can get in the way, but depends on what you are shooting.</p>

<p>With outdoor... say landscape/street, with a wide spectrum of bright and dark, it generally will expose towards the dark and blow out the highlights.</p>

<p>For fairly even lighting or with flash, it exposes fine. To play it safe, (or without thought,) dial -0.3 to -0.7 in exposure comp (Matrix) or go center weighted. If needed, fine tune in pp.</p>

<p>@ Eilliot <em>"D50 are for shooting in auto-exposure modes"</em> Why do you say that?</p>

<p>Because you don't have dedicated access to both shutter speed and aperture at the same time - the two fundamental parameters of manual shooting.<br /> In the auto exposure modes (the point-and-shoot modes, program, aperture priority and shutter priority) it doesn't matter much but if you're a manual shooter working with anything fast paced it's just too limiting.</p>

<p>PS. I think the D70S goes for more or less the same price as a D50 so I think that is a better choice.</p>

<p>The D50 with an 18-55 zoom is a good starter kit. My first DSLR was a D50 and I loved it. At low ISO's it has very good image quality. As has been said, the 50mm f/1.8 is a good low cost portrait lens, but it is not a good choice as a general use lens. With the 1.5x crop factor it's too long to use as an only lens.</p>

<p>I've never used a D80, but I'm currently using a d50. While the D50 is getting pretty old for DSLR's it's still a fine camera in my opinion. Yes the viewfinder is a bit dim compared to some other's, but coming from a P&S, your son will never notice. It's not dim enough to be prohibitive. I even use some slow manual focus lenses, and don't really have a problem (although I do sometimes have to rely on the focus assist dot for critical focusing.) If you can find a D80 for close to the same price as the d50 you're looking at, then go for that. If for no other reason that it's newer and has more MP's. If there's a big difference in price betwen the two, I think the D50 would be a fine choice.</p>

<p>Owned the D50 and the D80; with the notion that the D80 in my opinion is a seriously better digital camera (viewfinder, LCD screen, external controls and slightly better ISO800 performance), I'd have to concur with what Shun said.<br>

Lenses to me would be a bigger point. I'd rather have a D50 with the 18-70mm (2nd hand relatively easy to find and good value for money) than a D80 with only 50mm.</p>

<p>for a beginner, there's a almost no advantage in choosing a d80 over a d50, especailly if the price differential means being able to get both a zoom like the 18-55 or 18-70 and a prime like the 50/1.8 or 35/1.8.</p>

<p>a prime will be somewhat limiting, but there is a plus side to limiting yourself, namely that it will help to develop a sense of composition. also, with both the d50 and d80, high-ISO performance isnt as good as in newer bodies. therefore, the 50 or another fast prime is a must for shooting in low-light. so i would get that first, then add more lenses as budget allows.</p>

<p>I agree w/Shun about looking to see if you can fit in the 18-70 lens. It used to be the kit lens for the D70 and was the included lens when I bought a D200. I think it's a really decent, sharp lens that is light in weight yet fairly well built for walking around, and particularly, in your sons case, has a very useful range. Personally, I think it's one of the best if not the best, value lens Nikon makes.</p>

<p>Many thanks for all the contributions - all much appreciated. Great input (as always) ! Understanding the guidance about the 18-55 as an option I think I will suggest a 50 mm as he seems focusssed on portraits - even seems to understand bokeh. He has already decided his first project is a series on the the stall holders in his local London street market. Also the 1.8 will help keep the ISO level down. If he get's hooked then he will have to buy his own 18-55 and 55-200 combo at later date, then a new body then a 16-85, then a new body, then a 70-200 etc. etc......<br /> Thanks again !</p>

<p><strong>"""it has by far the worst viewfinder among all Nikon SLRs"""</strong></p>

<p>Boy is that an understatement! I went digital when the D50's were new c 2006<strong>. </strong>And I switched from the F100 to the D50. The F100's HP VF is the greatest thing since sliced bread. The D50's VF is like my Instamatic 104, come back to Earth as an SLR!<strong><br /></strong></p>