Nikon DSLR Compatibility [Correct me if I'm wrong...]

leslie_cheung

<p>All (current and discontinued) N mount digital bodies (Nikon, Kodak & Fuj):</p>

<p>Are there any body that can meter w/ manual lenses but can not drive non AFS lenses? In other words, all bodies capable of metering with manual lenses can also drive non AFS lenses, correct? Is there a comprehensive chart somewhere? Thanks!</p>

<p>So what you're asking for, is there a Nikon mount body that can meter with manual focus lenses but does not have a built-in AF motor? I assume you mean AF body, right? Non-AFS lens would be AF or AF-D, right? I'd say no, none. No idea if there is a chart that would include Nikon and Fuji bodies.</p>

<p>In reference to the original question, no such camera exists, at least not from Nikon. All Nikon DSLRs can drive AF lenses except for a few low-end DSLR models that lack the AF screw motor (D40, D40x, D60, D3000, D3100, D5000), and those cameras cannot meter with manual lenses.</p>

<p>Re Leslie's second question: the D50, D70, D80, D90, and D100 can use AF lenses, but cannot meter with manual lenses.</p>

<p>Another interesting curiosity of Nikon's history is that there were a few low-end film SLRs that could meter with manual-focus lenses (though only in center-weighted and spot modes, not matrix) and could drive AF lenses, but could not autofocus with <em>AF-S</em> lenses: the N2020 (F-501), N6006 (F-601), and N8008 (F-801).</p>

<p>All this information is available on Ken Rockwell's Nikon Lens Compatibility page.</p>

<p>The N8008/F801 can meter with AI/AI-S lenses but cannot drive AF-I and AF-S lenses. They are "screwdriver" AF only. That includes the later N8008S/F801S. Essentially, all early AF bodies are in that situation. Nikon did not introduce AF-I lenses until 1992.</p>

<p>Concerning digital SLRs, all of them since the 1999 D1 can drive AF-S lenses. If there was any DSLR converted from the N8008/F801 in the 1990's, they wouldn't be able to drive AF-S.</p>

<p>No, Shun, only low-end AF bodies, not all of them that early. The F4 is surely an "early AF body" and yet it works fine with AF-S lenses. The N55, on the other hand, was a 21st century camera, yet could not autofocus with AF-S lenses.</p>

<p>So basically we can rule out all the bodies from the last decade or so from memory, and what you're trying to find out is whether any dark ages Nikon body DSLR was based on a manual focus body? The only one I can think of is the original Kodak DCS-100, which was based on an F3. I <em>think</em> all the later models used AF bodies.</p>

<p>I'm also fairly confident that while the first few Fuji models were based on film bodies, they were all AF. And I'm fairly confident that Nikon only ever sold AF DSLRs.</p>

<p>Craig, I said all early AF bodies are in that situation, but I did not say all AF bodies in that situation are early. I also purposely did not specify what is "early." I have an F4 and I know that it can AF with AF-I/AF-S lenses. That is the only pre-1992 AF body that can do so; apparently Nikon already had plans for AF-I back in 1988 when the F4 was introduced, but they did not put that capability in the N8008 introduced that same year.</p>

<p>I am not that familiar with those "pre-historic" DSLRs converted from film SLRs in the 1990s. I know Kodak had one based on the N90 or N90S, but since the N90 can drive AF-S lenses, I am sure that DSLR can also. I don't think Kodak modified the N8008.</p>

<p>Anything from the D1 on can drive AF-S. The Fuji S2 and S3 are based on the N80/F80/D100 and so are all 14MP Kodak DSLRs with the Nikon mount. The Fuji S5 is based on the D200. Of course all of those can drive AF-S. I am not sure about the Fuji S1?</p>

<p>The D100 was based on the F80/N80, which lacks the aperture follower tab. Therefore, all DSLRs driven from those cameras: Fuji S2, S3, all Kodak 14MP w/ Nikon F mount and the D100 cannot meter with AI/AI-S lenses that have no built-in CPU.</p>

<p>All Nikon DSLRs with the Nikon brand name and the letter D in the model number (i.e. everything since the the 1999 D1) can drive AF-S.</p>

<p>I thought you were looking for ones that <em>can't</em> drive non-AF-S lenses. (And by non-AF-S I'm assuming you mean screwdriver lenses requiring a motor in the body.) Are you looking for cameras that can drive AF and AF-S and also can meter with manual focus AI lenses? Or for ones that can meter with AI lenses, but can't drive screwdriver AF lenses?</p>

<p>Oh, okay, well, that would be an exotic combination - if you're thinking you could save money by buying such a body I don't think you could, because it would be either too old to be anything but a curiosity or too rare to be found at a good price. Like I said, I <em>think</em> the only body that meters with AI lenses but does not run screwdriver AF is the DCS-100, which is really the dark ages, and it's an actual manual focus camera. You'd need to be looking at newer models and just asking what the reasonable option for bodies with AI lens metering are. D200, for example.</p>

<p>BTW you can get lists of Kodak and Fuji DSLRs and the Nikons they're based on by web searching. They're probably on Wikipedia.</p>

<blockquote>

<p>I wanted a dslr that can meter with manual AI/AIS lenses but I didn't need the built in body AF motor...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>Sorry, there's no such thing, unless, as Andrew says, it's something so old that you wouldn't want it or some arcane rarity that commands exorbitant prices from collectors.</p>

<p>If you want to meter manual-focus lenses with a Nikon DSLR, you're looking at the D200, D300, D700, D1, D2, or D3 models (including those with letter suffixes such as the D300s or D3x), or the new D7000, all of which have the AF screw motor.</p>

<p>I'd love to see a digital FM3a (DM3a?), but I don't expect to see it and I doubt it would really sell all that well. (Did the FM3a itself sell well in comparison to, say, the F100?) The market is largely about autofocus these days. Leica can get away with a manual-focus digital camera, but they're more of a luxury brand than a working photographer's brand these days, and I get the impression that most rangefinder fans regard autofocus as unnecessary if not heretical.</p>

<p>Well, I'm sure it won't sell as well as, say, the d7000 or d3100. However, it could sell. Nikon don't need to make the most margin/profit with every single dslrs. Infact, it'll be like a d700. I'm sure the d700 don't sell as well as the d90. It could be an exotic cam much like the coming fuji X100. Anyways, it would be nice...wasn't there a shortage of FM3A during its run? </p>

<p>Well, shortages are relative to production quantities, so even if Nikon underestimated demand, it doesn't necessarily mean there was all that much demand -- just more than Nikon expected.</p>

<p>Still, Nikon does come out with unanticipated curios from time to time, like the limited run of S-mount rangefinders a few years ago (who saw that one coming?). They could certainly do a digital FM3a if they wanted to. I'd buy one if the price was right. (Hey, Nikon, are you listening?)</p>

<blockquote>

<p>After thinking it through...again, a FM3A digital would sell like hotcakes...</p>

</blockquote>

<p>I'd be willing to bet money that Nikon has some kind of research or evidence that such a camera would not, in fact, sell well at all for the price they'd have to ask for it. Otherwise they'd make it. Other than Leica at the very very high end, no current camera manufacturer makes such a camera.</p>

<p>If one really wanted a MF Digital SLR, one would probably would want full-frame, since manually focusing on DX viewfinders is probably not what this kind of customer is looking for...</p>

<p>and there is a switch on the D700 that would transform it into just the camera you desire for as long as you like. ;-)</p>

<p>Just to add to the trivia discussion, how many dSLRs are compatible with pre-AI lenses (i.e., can mount them without breaking anything, but not necessarily meter)? I've seen this stated about the D40 and D60:<br>

http://www.photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00Pr2g<br>

Did Nikon ever offer a modification to the D1/D2 series that allowed full use of pre-AI, as they did with the F5?</p>