Nikon drops the other shoe (D70). Canon, are you listening?

theoldmoose

Nikon announced a $999 price for their new 6 MP DSLR, $1299 with a

18-70 lens.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/nikon_01282004_d70_pr.html

Things that jumped out at me:

1) You can *customize* the menus

2) There are 25 custom functions *with on-screen help text*

It just goes to show you that you can put useful stuff in that extra

internal program flash storage, instead of reserving it for your more

well-heeled customers.

Sounds to me like Nikon has been listening to all the complaints from

Canon's Digital Rebel customers...

Also:

FEC, slow sync, 2nd curtain

Spot metering

Builtin speedlite can be a master in their wireless system

Supposedly new, low noise sensor (lowest ISO is 200!?)

1/500 flash sync

An AF assist light is mentioned, but I don't know of what type, yet.

Also, red-eye reduction, but I don't know how that is done yet, either.

And then Canon will release something, and then Nikon, and then Canon, and then Nikon, and then maybe Minolta, then Canon again...

And so on.

It's a nice improvement on the feature set, to be sure, but Canon will probably do the same on their next camera. Probably even one up it.

well if they do release new firmware which shows the capability was there all along, if i was a 300d owner, i'd be pretty darn pissed for "precrippling" built-in. sure, its their product, they can do whatever. i guess this is where i back the consumer, not the shareholder.

Of course they won't update the firmware. They'll release an EOS 301D with a bunch of new features. Just like cars, next year's model will have more features. It it didn't, nobody would buy a new one. Canon won't make any money by significantly upgrading old products for free and they're not dumb.

<<Nikon announced a $999 price for their new 6 MP DSLR, $1299 with a 18-70 lens.>>

That's several hundred more than a Digital Rebel, which is more money and features than the market the Rebel targets (Rebel film users moving to digital)--and Nikon needed to target--wants or needs. Unless the D70 streets the same or less than the Rebel, Nikon's shot themselves in the foot once again.

So its like the rebel, but more money and more features. Kinda like the 10D then. Doesn't help that releasing it months later means the first bunch of folks waiting for an affordable digital SLR now own one and are unlikely to upgrade as the whole reason they waited for the Rebel D was money is definitely the prime concern.

So great camera, just a little late.

The steves-digicams and dpreview articles point out that these are just Nikon press releases (as if they would say anything bad), so it will be interesting to see what the first real people to use them have to say.<p>The most interesting feature to me is "<i>Thanks to Nikon�s new Dynamic Buffer technology, faster image processing, increased memory card access speed and greater system bus bandwidth, the D70 can shoot a rapid <b>three frames per second for a continuous burst of up to 144 pictures</b></i>".

Well, it's not actually available yet of course. Nikon say "shipping in the Spring of 2004", which I guess means anything from March 20th to June 20th.

Gives Canon a little time if they have anything up their sleves (besides the 8MP upgraded 1D rumored to arrive at PMA).

It does look like it will give the 300D a run for it's money though, at a cost of $300 more (with lens).

Given the body alone however is $1000 and spanks the 300D in certain performance areas (D70 looks more like an upgraded D100), I wouldn't be surprised if the 300D drops a couple c notes before too long.

The D70 is going to be available in Japan March 19th according to my friend who read that somewhere, so if that's true I'd expect it to hit the US shores another month later maybe.

As far as the 8700 goes, I predict it will be woefully noisy and undesireable, like the Sony 828. of course, thats IMO :)

Well, it sounds like Nikon's D70 is too little too late. Canon already owns the low end DSLR market. The D70 is vaporware for months to come. By the time it hits stores will it even matter? I'm sure Canon will quickly bring new models and features to market if the upstarts get too cocky.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

A bit cynical and harsh Puppy. Nikon is not making the same mistakes with D70 as D2H. This camera will be available March I'm sure and I think it may have caught Canon off guard.

I'm hoping Canon respond, but at the moment I'm eagerly awaiting the lifting of the NDA on the 1D Mk II as this sounds like what I wanted from a 3D anyway.

Forgive me if I appear naive, but Puppy Face seems to be correct: Why did Nikon NOT release such a model before ????? The D70 will, in all probability, surface 9-12 months (more or less) after Canon, and Canon already has secured a share in the market where Nikon has had no presence (forget the D1). Hence it is logical (and to soem extent predictive) that Nikon try to outdo Canon in that segment when they step in the first time! (Otherwise why even try ?) They (Nikon) might just burn themselves, coz Canon has already raked in some moolah on that front, and possibly, can afford to go beyond Nikon's offering in that segment (keep in mind another factor that with a lens combo the Nikon could still end up 300-500 bucks more expensive and that could be significant for many first time buyers).

It might be advantage Nikon for now, but it's Canon's serve next !

- Harman

I don't think the D70 is meant to compete with the Digital Rebel. It's got more features, and is more expensive, especially with that kit lens. Joe Snapshot isn't going to spend $300 dollars for an extra 15mm and AF-S. The D70 seems like it's going to compete with the 10D. The new lens makes sense for current Nikon DLSR owners as much as it does for buyers of the D70. It seems to be a little more than just a kit lens, what with the AF-S and the IF and that other acronym I'm forgetting. It seems to be a wide-telephoto zoom meant for all the DX cameras. It shows us just how committed Nikon is to this whole "DX" thing.

Canon doesn't need to answer this with a new Rebel because the current Rebel already beats this camera on price, and that's what's important to people who think an SLR will magically make great pictures. A drop in 10D prices wouldn't surprise me, however, as the D70 makes buying a 10D somewhat unattractive, espeically if one doesn't already own a bunch of EF glass.

I agree.

Sounds like 10D competition rather than 300D competition.

I have been stating for months that a price drop (or model replacement) is due for the 10D. I would expect this to happen around PMA time.

And yes, the 1D-II clearly is the 3D we have been all expecting. Those specs sound lifted from any of the speculation threads we seen (and contributed to over the months). The only surprises remaining are: Is this real? How much will it cost?

I think Canon probably HAS something up their sleeves for PMA. But regardless, I've already got a 300D and I feel perhaps a $200 shave off the 300D and an intro of 17-85mm IS (equiv 28-135mm) will keep me very happy and remain aligned with Canon.

An updated version of the 300D is of course also very possible, since it doesn't take much to tweak the already available model. Oh, and also in black. :P

If Nikon does in fact intend for the D70 to compete with the 10D, then that suggests they will discontinue the D100 when the D70 is released, since the D100's currently priced equal to the 10D and has a comparable feature set.

The MSRP for the new 1D Mark II suggests that demand for Canon dSLRs is more than keeping pace with supply, thank you very much, so they can continue to charge what the market will bear for their superior products.

It's amusing, though, to read the complaints about the 1D Mark II's "high price." Those who want one are bitching that it costs too much. Had it been priced more to their liking -- and similar to the incoming 10D's price vis a vis the outgoing D60 -- can you imagine the yowling by current 10D owners bemoaning the imminent drop in value of their cameras?

By the way, I screwed up the custom paint job (red fingernail polish) on my 10D, trying to make it look like the new D70. Guess I'll have to buy a new camera now...

Don't forget, the D-Rebel has been available since about August/03. The D70 may hit the streets by April/04. Nine months is almost a product lifecycle in the consumer digital camera market. Not to mention that the D-Rebel is priced cheaper than the D70 and there's likely still some wiggle-room left in its pricing to make it even more attractive from a price point until Canon comes out with a new entry level SLR.

Frankly I'm suprised at the sour grapes about Nikon's offering. I think that the best thing that could happen would be to have 5 or 6 manufacturers all trying to trump one another with their latest and greatest DSLR products. That's how rapid improvements in technology along with decreasing prices is going to happen - with great benefit to all consumers. I say yeah Nikon and let's get going Minolta, Pentax and Olympus.