Nikon D800E, Image File Corruption

ShunCheung

<p>A few days ago, I was at a national park visitor center and I captured this image from the outside. It looked fine when I reviewed it on the on-camera LCD. However, when I got back to the motel, I realized that the color on most of the image is purple, which probably means the red and blue components are there but the green part is missing. Moreover, the sign that should be on the right side of the image is moved to the left, but the wording is correct, i.e. not a mirror image. Therefore, it is not the left and right sides are flipped. Rather, part of the right side of the image is now on the left, and part of the left is now on the right.</p>

<p>Since this was merely a casual snapshot, losing it is not a big deal. In fact, I had captured another almost identical image at that same time. Moreover, I had set my D800E to the backup mode so that each image is written onto both the SD card and CF card inside. This error image is from the SD card. So I checked the CF card, and its image file is just fine. Therefore, this seems more like a card write problem. I have since captured a few hundred more images on that camera, and every image is fine.</p>

<p>This type of problem might have heppened to me a couple of times before after using DSLRs for 10 years now. I suppose if you have really important images, it pays to capture a few more samples to choose from, and with cameras that accept two memory cards, I would use the backup mode regularly.</p>

<p>Incidentally, both cards I used that day are Lexar. And this is merely a one-time glitch. Both cards have been fine since.</p><div>00akyq-492627584.jpg.19d5a2808cb730f9b832e626f094d4a3.jpg</div>

<p>Glad the back-up system worked for you!.</p>

<p>With regard to dual-storage, ie the same image to both slots, how does the buffer size and card speed factor in? I assume they write simultaneously rather than sequentially and you choose which to write to first.</p>

<p>Pro SDs are normally a bit slower than Pro CFs...is it best to use same speed? or even if you have one fast and one slow, the rate limiter is always the slowest card, so having a fast CF is pointless WRT burst speed etc.</p>

<p>EDIT. '<strong><em>I have since captured a few hundred more images on that camera, and every image is fine.' </em></strong><br>

<strong><em> </em></strong><br>

<strong><em><br /></em></strong>I assume that's with the same 2 cards as back up? Not too sure I'd trust the SD card in an important situation though ??</p>

You can turn the camera off whenever you like as long as you don't either remove the battery or the card.

I think the number of corrupt images is inevitably going to be higher on the D800/E bodies. The more pixels you have to

get right the more opportunities for corruption. At some point they will have to (should) put some robust EDAC system in

place. Until then, backup cards are a good thing.

Actually, I immediately took another almost identical image after this one, and that one was fine on the SD card, so are

the other about 100 images and video I captured afterwards that day. I didn't check any other image on the CF card as I

don't need them.

Most likely this is a one-time glitch. I don't think SD cards are any worse electronically. My main problem with SD is that

they are physcially more fragile. I have cracked a couple of SD in the last 2 years and also damaged some of that little

switch that locks the SD card. CF cards are more robust but of course the pins on the camera side are somewhat

vulnerable.

• 1 year later...
<p>I use both Nikon D3200 and D7100. Both cameras have the same problem as described above. Every second or third image was corrupted. D7100 has two SD card slots. I use one for RAW and another one for JPEG images. Corruption appears on both SD cards but not always on the same image simultaneously (ie. RAW version of one image is corrupted but JPEG version is readable). I suspect on Kingston SD cards I use in both cameras. If anyone found a solution for this problem, please let me know.</p>