Nikon D800: The best sensor analyzed on DxOMark!

purplealien

<p>Interesting Chris but very debatable. I think we have the tendency to believe the newest camera is overkilling the previous one, in this case, the excellent D3 / D3s. I don't think, regardless of that review, that this camera is far superior to the D3s or the last Canon. <br>

We will probably never see the difference between shots taken with the D3s and the new D800. Right now, both cameras behave the same about ISO performance which is probably, the most sensitive area of expected improvement on a new camera and we don't see that on the D800 over the D3s. Other than that, they are both almost the same and if there is any difference about image quality, I doubt it that we will be able to see it. </p>

<p> </p>

<p> The proof is in the pudding or in this case a print. But I will never see a print from the D800 or even a D800 camera. All the camera stores are out of business around here. However for chit chat about numbers it looks like the d800 is the king of numbers for a while. </p>

It's not a question of doubt or belief, it's just facts. A 36 MP-sensor as good or even better than the best 12 MP-sensor of last years top camera maker? At

halve the price? That was science fiction only a few months ago, today it's reality. Even if dxo had only stated "equal" iq it would have been a miracle given the

pixel density.

<p>I was out last night on the Brooklyn Promenade (overlooking the East River and lower Manhattan) with a new D800. I shot the Brooklyn Bridge over a mile away at ISO6400 plus added gain in post. Even with some noise, not only could I clearly make out the bridge cables, but I could also count the stars in the flag at the top of the east tower. The 24-70 (at 70mm) really delivered as well as I would have hoped. </p>

<p>The colors look exceedingly good, very much of a D3x style. I'm glad for this, because the D3x to my eye had the most beautiful colors of any DSLR (excepting perhaps its siblilng Sony FFs, though cleaner). Even at ISO12800 equiv, there were very subtle and beautiful color gradations in a smaller print. Actually, I didn't mind swimming through all 36MP at 100%, because there is just a lot of detail in a New York skyline that this thing captures. And it cleans up rather well without losing usable detail. </p>

<p>Tonight (the camera hasn't seen daylight yet), I took it to Smalls and shot the jam session just the way I would have with the D3s. It did not disappoint, and in fact, the AF is much better at following fast moving subjects without losing track. </p>

<p>Wait until you spend a little time with this camera before drawing conclusions. There are some qualitative differences even in a relatively slight shift in scale, and some quantitative differences in MTF. You will see in even screen-sized JPGs finely filigreed 1-3px details. I don't mind if someone wants to examine my Brooklyn Bridge shot, but I can't afford the bandwidth to host it myself. If someone is interested, they could contact me off list. </p>