Nikon D80 Setting for Concert Photos

chris_bagnall

I am going to be shooting a concert tonight for a friend and I'm wondering if

someone could reccomend some settings for my Nikon D80 with a Tamron telephoto

28-75mm lens. I'll be up close, most likely 5 ft away or so. It'll be pretty

low light with I suppose enough motion to where I'd want a fast shutter speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

you can get the nikkor(nikon lens) 50mm f/1.8 for about $120. Or you can buy the nikkor 50mm f/1.4 is fast enough and is about $250-$300. Those should be fast ebough to take good pictures. Set it to "A" mode at the lowest and ISO could be from 1600 to the highest that should get you a good picture and good sharpness. you don't need zoom lenses as they tend to be slower than a prime lens.

I agree with Herman, the 50mm f1.8 would be a fine lens for this and very inexpensive, under $100 for sure. Any you won't find a sharper lens.

I don't quite understand why people seem to be in love with zooms these days, they are extremely dark unless you are spending $1700 and even then they aren't that bright. Anyways just my editorial comment.

Chris, I also have the 50mm -- and love the lens -- but I don't think it will work well for you because you are too close. Five feet is nice for a head shot but if this is a band or multiple performers, you will never get all of them in the photo. Check it out on your own lens. Set it to 50mm at 5 ft and you will see what I mean.

I don't have the Tamron 17-50 but the reviews have been good. That might be a nice lens for the job.

Oh, one more thing..... I assume you won't be using a flash, tripod, or monopod though all of them would be helpful. Aperture priority is nice but I would use an auto ISO setting. With a fast lens, the ISO might not be as high as you think, especially if you watch the stage lighting carefully.

Setting for concertphotos:

set on A and on 2.8 to begin and try to to 3.5 5.6

set on spotmeting->light and focus are the same spot, measuru on the face and use all your focusspots, don't re-comp, because the light changes.

iso auto with shutter speeds limits 1/f or little bit more(depends on the light)max iso on 1600

check your HISTOGRAMs everytime in the beginning, zoom in and check if did move the camera, check the iso and shutter speed used. Make your conclusions and adjust your settings: lower max iso, higher lowest speed.

Avoid the red lights, noise generators

Shoot in RAW

Try to find something/one to lean on

make short bursts

Make a lot of pis and throw away a lot too, but a little less...

Good luck

You need something big, imposing, and professional looking. This is the main reason those Canon users love those bright white lenses. Seriously, I've shot concerts with the 70-300 Nikkor AF zoom (not the VR) and the 24-120mm Nikkor AF zoom combination (D80) and had it all covered from a confortable distance. Use ISO 400 and forget about high speed lenses. If used wide open the depth of field is next to nothing.