Nikon D80 Flash wont fire

mila-g

I have a six week old Nikon D80. A few weeks ago the flash mechanism would continue clicking even though the

flashlight was up but otherwise the camera functioned correctly.

Yesterday I picked up the camera and the flash refused to fire at all. Spent several hours trying manual settings,

checked menus settings etc etc and thoroughly fed up that a 500 camera is broken after 6 weeks. The results from

the camera have been very good and I have taken several thousand photographs with it so in that regard very happy.

Could I really have worn out the flash bulb so quickly ?

Is there anything really obvious Im missing ?

the camera may have a problem, but so long as it wasn't purchased on the "grey market" you don't have a problem. nikon will gladly repair or replace it, if defective. there's no way you have "worn out the flash bulb" in six weeks. if you haven't tried doing a hard reset of the camera back to factory settings, try that. if the problem persists, the good folks who made your camera stand behind their product.

• 1 year later...

<p>Hi Mark,<br>

How did you resolve this issue? I have the same exact issue with my 2 year old D80. The flash lever keeps clicking even though the flash is up, and the flash does not fire. The camera is smart enough to figure out that the flash is not working and the exposures are adjusted automatically (slow shutter speeds, high ISO)<br>

Thanks</p>