Nikon D7500 Lenses

kaseycoleman

Hey everyone.

I am looking to purchase the Nikon D7500 here in the near future and am looking for some decent lenses to go with it. I currently have about $2,000 to spend on lenses and am looking to get at least 3 different lenses. The type of photography I enjoy doing is landscape and cityscape, but also want to start getting into taking pictures of people. What lenses would you recommend for me?

Kasey Coleman

The 18-140 is quite decent and quite versatile given its range. Drawbacks are the slow aperture and quite visible vignetting. Currently, a D7500/18-140 kit sells for $1550. $300 more gets you the 16-80 instead of the 18-140. Wider but not as long, and faster (but still variable aperture). IMHO currently the best midrange zoom that Nikon offers. Overpriced when purchased alone but the kit gives a $400+ discount. To cover the wide-angles, I'd look no further than the Tokina 11-20/2.8 (the 11-16 saves about $200 but has offers less range).

Another rather unique option that gives you some of the best DX lenses available today but also comes with some drawbacks (bulk and weight for one, limited focal length range for another) consists of the two Sigma Art lenses 18-35/1.8 and 50-100/1.8 (these two eat up almost your entire $2k lens budget). For another $800, the Tokina 14-20/2 rounds out that package (even though 14mm isn't all that wide on DX).

mm Not sure if I would go for a DX camera if main interest would be Landscape and City scape ..

My gut feeling would steer me in the direction of a FX camera for these subjects if they would be my main interest.

In that case I would have a look at a D750 , which is currently in the same price range with the D7500, I guess ..

But off course that is just my way of looking at things...

+1 in favour of Tokina's 11-20mm f/2.8, should you decide to stay with the D7500. Also the 18-140 VR "kit" lens is well worth having as a walk around lens that covers almost any eventuality. Its IQ is a hair short of the expensive f/2.8 zooms, but it's more than good enough.

FX will give you more wideangle lens options with less distortion, and a brighter viewfinder. However, I think your 2K lens budget would be stretched covering the same equivalent range in FX glass. There's no equivalent to the 18-140 in an FX lens; not at the same cost and giving the same quality.

However, I think your 2K lens budget would be stretched covering the same equivalent range in FX glass. There's no equivalent to the 18-140 in an FX lens; not at the same cost and giving the same quality.

Agree to this, closest to the 18-140 on FX would be the 24-120 , and that takes a bit vaster investment..

Agree to this, closest to the 18-140 on FX would be the 24-120 , and that takes a bit vaster investment..

It's worth watching for sales. A few months ago, I think the D750 kitted with this lens was right at $2K.

BTW, I'm quite happy with my 24-85 VR, which of course doesn't go as long and also is a variable aperture zoom(3.5-4.5 vs. constant f/4) but it's lighter and I paid $200 for it from the used cabinet at my local camera store. I was comparing it directly to the 24-120, and ended up at the 24-85 because the only focal length I ever use in the added range is 105mm and I have that well covered with both the older 135mm 2.5(MF), a newer AF-D 105mm 2.8 Macro and soon the newest 105 2.8 VR Micro.

A D750 with a Tamron 24-70mm is a wonderful combination for landscape. Other lenses can be added later. Some of the virtues of the D7500, such as a larger buffer and better AF than several of Nikon's DSLRs (including the D7200 and the D750) are great for action photography, but perhaps not so important for what you want.

My gut feeling would steer me in the direction of a FX camera for these subjects if they would be my main interest.

In that case I would have a look at a D750 , which is currently in the same price range with the D7500, I guess ..

Or at a used D800.

But if I started with a clean slate with landscape and cityscapes as my main interests, I wouldn't get a DSLR at all anymore. Especially not when following the advice of always shooting from a tripod and using live view - so why bother with the mirror at all?

Or at a used D800.

But if I started with a clean slate with landscape and cityscapes as my main interests, I wouldn't get a DSLR at all anymore. Especially not when following the advice of always shooting from a tripod and using live view - so why bother with the mirror at all?

OK, if you can afford it a MF digital like the Fuji GFX50s is a wonderfull tool, but at 7000,- euro's for a body alone it is hardly a hobby tool i think .....

For the D7500 (which is a fine choice of camera - there are always alternatives but that wasn't the question), the 18-140VR especially if you can get it as a kit, which should help drive down the price. Alternative for landscapes could be the 16-85VR, the extra bit of wide angle is mighty useful.

I'd start with this one lens, and then see what you find lacking: extra wide angle, extra reach, or maybe something else. It is not necessary to immediately spend all your budget on 3 lenses, so starting with one good allrounder (which both 18-140 and 16-85 are for sure) will help you understand the requirements for the other lenses you may or may not need.

• Like 1

I second Wouter's advice to wait until you have gotten the camera to buy additional lenses. It also depends on what you will do with your photos.

I would consider the new AF-P Nikkor 10-20 VR. Not sure of how it has been received and what reviews it has gotten, but it is a tempting offer considering its price. I had the AF-S Nikkor 10-24 when I used DX and loved it -for landscapes, cityscapes - and portraits. That is still available but costs more. Perhaps the AF-S Nikkor 70-200/4VR could be worth considering as a tele zoom if you decide for the 16-85VR.