Nikon D7500 announced

Dieter Schaefer

Press release here: Nikon | News | Nikon releases the D7500 digital SLR camera

US press release: The New Nikon D7500: Superior Performance That Drives The Desire To Create

Product info: Nikon D7500 DSLR | 20.9 MP DX Format Digital SLR Camera

• Same sensor as D500: 20.9MP
  • EXPEED 5, ISO 100-51200
  • 180k RGB sensor from D500

• 8fps, 50 shot buffer (14-bit lossless compressed RAW), 100 JPEG images
  • 51-area AF with Group AF added
  • tilting 3.2" 922K dot touchscreen

• 4K video
  • Auto AF fine tune
  • new monocoque chassis made from carbon fiber composite, deeper grip, ISO button in same location as D500

• new EN-EL15a battery (more power but 15% reduced battery life compared to D7200)

• Snapbridge

The Nikon D7500 will be available in Summer 2017 for a suggested retail price (SRP) of $1,249.95 for the body only configuration, or with a AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens for $1,749.95 SRP.

Looks like a worthy successor of the D7200. Puzzling that Nikon choose to go with the 20.9MP sensor from the D500 instead of keeping the 24MP sensor of the D7200. Equally puzzling that the camera apparently has only one SD card slot (all other D7x00 bodies had two); that's definitely a step in the wrong direction.

Edited by Dieter Schaefer

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure, but could the second SD card slot have fallen victim to the tilt-screen maybe? (meaning not sufficient interior space to implement both). I too found it to be the most puzzling bit of this new camera. Other option would be to more clearly draw a line between this camera as a consumer model, versus the pro-level D500.

European price seems to be €1499 body only - quite a step up from the introduction prices of the D7000, D7100 and D7200. While it looks a really well-rounded spec, if that recommended price turns out to be the street price, for sure the D7200 is going to be the sweet deal until it runs out.

By the specs ( D500 alike) looks like a good deal, but pitty, same mistake as in D500 and D5600 series, snapbridge as a way of communication, instead of functioning as Wi-Fi hotspot, like even cheap canon camera's from a few years back allready support... i do not understand this strategy at all..

Dieter, thanks for starting the thread. I didn't have internet access last night when Nikon's official announcement went out, at midnight US Eastern.

In my view, Nikon introduced the D7000 in October 2010 as the merge between the D90 and D300/D300S as they discontinued the top level DX bodies in the D300 line and put the emphasis on FX. After that, both the D7100 and D7200 have Nikon's top-of-the-line AF system (at the time of introduction), dual memory cards, metering with AI/AI-S lenses but lack some "pro" features such as the 10-pin connector, pro controls ....

Now that Nikon has introduced the D500, they need to squeeze something between the D500 and the D5600. I wasn't quite sure what Nikon would do. It looks like re-using the D500's 20MP sensor allows the D7500 to shoot at 8 fps native, while the AF system remains with the Multi-CAM 3500 debut with the D3/D300 back in 2007. The rear LCD is the same swivel type on the D500.

Essentially the D7500 is a "poor person's D500" with some high-end features removed, such as the XQD card slot, 10 fps ... Since I have had card corruption issues, I am a bit disappointed that the dual card capability previously on the D7000, D7100, and D7200 is now gone. You get a higher FPS at essentially the same original price level as the D7200.

For those who are big time wildlife photographers, I think the D500 is still the better choice. However, after a $200 rebate and free vertical grip during the 2016 holiday season, the D500 still remains at $2000 with a substantial price differentiation from the D7500.

Product introduction image copyright Nikon USA

D7500_18_140_tilt_1.thumb.jpg.c2c302ee3b7f1259498459bf52589c7a.jpg

Manual focus lenses without CPU seem to have lost metering support. Negatives: 1) (apparently) no metering with non-CPU lenses, 2) no direct access to wifi without Snapbridge (presumably, if it works the same way the D500 does), 3) lower resolution sensor (though the difference is small), 4) Only one SD card slot, 5) 1mm reduced eyepoint.

Positives: 1) faster with greater burst depth, 2) tilting monitor, 3) radio controlled remote flash support, 4) group area AF support, 5) Auto AF Fine tune, 6) 4K recording.

I have been checking with Nikon USA about metering with no-CPU AI/AI-S lenses. I have not received an definitive answer yet. It is easy to determine that as long as there is an image of the front of the D7500 without any lens attached, but at least I haven't seen such images yet. Nikon tends to maintain metering with AI-AI-S lenses with their "top-of-the-line" DX body, and the D7000, D7100, and D7200 fall in that category. Now that there is a D500, this feature maybe gone.

There are definitely some cost-saving changes such as only one memory card slot on the D7500, but I was hoping for some price reduction along with them.

Incidentally, the EN-EL15A battery is fully compatible with the earlier EN-EL15, just a little more capacity.

P.S. At least in my case, I haven't used any AI/AI-S lenses for years, especially on a DX body with the crop factor. At least to me, metering with such lenses is a feature the D7500 doesn't necessarily need. There is still the D500 plus the D7200, D7100 ... that have such capability.

No second card slot is a deal breaker for me. I have been shooting with a DX camera lately--a D5300. I'm using it as a back up camera and also for long hikes where I'm trying to cut weight. It doens't have two cards either, but I'm not using it as a primary camera.

Kent in SD

Center-weighted: Weight of 75% given to 8 mm circle in center of frame. Diameter of circle can be changed to 6, 10, or 13 mm, or weighting can be based on average of entire frame (non-CPU lenses use 8-mm circle)

Matrix: 3D Color Matrix Metering III (type G, E and D lenses); Color Matrix Metering III (other CPU lenses)

Spot: Meters circle with diameter of about 3.5 mm (about 2.5% of frame) centered on selected focus point (on center focus point when non-CPU lens is used)

Highlight-weighted: Available with type G, E, and D lenses

Quoted from the Nikon website. So it does meter with non CPU lenses but only CW and Spot. No matrix. It could mean that it doesn't have the AI coupling and it can meter via stop down method. Matrix can't do stop down and may be that's the reason why it doesn't do matrix with non CPU lenses.

"Compatible lenses: AF NIKKOR lenses, including type G, E, and D lenses (some restrictions apply to PC lenses) and AI-P NIKKOR lenses and non- CPU AI lenses (M mode only)." Edit: I noticed bebu's post after posting this. How is it that metering is possible on non-CPU lenses but aperture priority is not? Maybe there will be a clarification of the specifications later. Thanks for the correction and apologies for jumping to conclusions; this is actually a big relief for me.

I have a few non-CPU lenses and occasionally use them, in particular, for macro (some used with bellows, some without); Nikon does not make any CPU-equipped macro setup for >1:1 (apart from use of a TC on the 105 VR). I can test exposures without metering and come up with a useful value but it does slow down getting to initial exposure if there is no indication from the camera. I don't need the mechanical Ai aperture readout system for this but some metering is useful.

One other thing it doesn't solve is the eyepoint (D7200 has 19.5mm; D7500 18.5mm, D500 only 16mm). I used to love the Nikon viewfinders with 20mm to 25mm eyepoint. I can live with the 17-18mm on my current cameras (by using very flexible eyeglasses) but would prefer further reductions to be avoided. I will have to test the cameras side by side to get an idea of what kind of level of eyeglass squashing is required. I felt the D7100 was quite good in this respect. The eyepoint measure doesn't tell everything though, the geometry of the camera in the ocular area affects eyeglass viewing comfort as well. A recessed ocular, or a thin one can be helpful.

Edited by ilkka_nissila

I can hear the corporate exclamation - "Oh jeez! (or its Japanese equivalent) It's our 100th anniversary and we've nothing to wear. What's more we've nothing new to offer for sale. Better get the apprentices to cobble something together quick! And fingers crossed some mug will buy it."

It is easy to determine that as long as there is an image of the front of the D7500 without any lens attached, but at least I haven't seen such images yet.

I just did in a video, there's no Ai follower tab. Also found an image on Nikon Germany's website: Nikon D7500 | DX-Premium-Bildqualität | SnapBridge

can meter in manual mode using the stop down method for CW and spot

Highly doubtful as Nikon has been crippling their cameras for years not allowing proper stop-down metering.

It seems there is no option for a vertical grip for the D7500.

Maybe the MB-D15 from the D7100/D7200 will fit?

Incidentally, the EN-EL15A battery is fully compatible with the earlier EN-EL15, just a little more capacity.

Good to know. I haven't found information on the capacity of the EN-EL15a yet. On one Nikon website, it says 1900mA, 14Wh, but that's the same as the EN-El15.

but could the second SD card slot have fallen victim to the tilt-screen maybe

Possibly. Or an indication (like the omission of the Ai tab, the strap lugs from the lower-end cameras) that we are seeing a consolidation of the D5xxx and D7xxx camera series? In some ways, the D7500 appears to be between the D7200 and D500, in others, it looks more like between the D5600 and D7200.

In any case, the D7500 continues with Nikon's "incremental change releases". It gives some (D500 engine) and it takes some away (one card slot, no Ai tab). I am with Shun in that I personally won't miss the Ai follower tab on a DX body. The reduction to one card slot doesn't affect me too much either, though I rather have two (and of the same kind, please). Let's just wait for the D7600 that will correct the one-card slot (just like the D7200 corrected the one glaring, crippling fault of the D7100 (the shallow memory buffer)

Will I trade the D7200 for a D7500? Most likely not. At least not until the price has come down, which, just like with the D500, won't happen until fall.

Is the D7500 a D500 Lite? Most certainly. There are some features missing (like the 153-area AF and the joystick) but by using the same processor, metering system and sensor, there's less to distinguish the D7500 from the D500 than there is between the D7200 and D500.

Would I choose the D7500 over the D500 for what I mostly shoot (avian, air planes)? No!

Would I choose the D7500 over the D500 for my other photographic needs? Quite possible, if I wasn't going for the D7200 instead (as in "good enough").

Dieter, it is stated in the specifications that spot and CW metering is supported in non-CPU lenses in manual mode (as found by bebu); without Ai follower tab the only way to allow this is via stop down metering. I have only owned on Nikon body that didn't allow stop down metering, so apart from the entry level, it is not a common omission. I don't think an error in the specifications is likely though it is not impossible. The text seems very precise.

The MB-D15 won't fit since the D7500 bottom does not have the holes for the alignment tabs and there is no electrical interface for a grip.

Not allowing stop down metering is actually a common thing. I doubt that even with the D5 you can do stop down metering. The Df doesn't either. The reason I think when Nikon didn't allow the F5 to do matrix metering they had so many complaints. But the new Nikon matrix system (not the old one from the F4) requires that the camera must know the subject brightness and not the brightness as seen thru the viewfinder. So if the camera doesn't know the maximum aperture it can't work in matrix. So I think the D7500 answered the complaints that most Nikon don't allow stop down metering but of course it can't do matrix.

The MB-D15 won't fit since the D7500 bottom does not have the holes for the alignment tabs and there is no electrical interface for a grip.

Haven't seen an image of the bottom of the D7500 yet. In conjunction with the other omissions, I now firmly believe that Nikon made yet another naming mistake and we are actually looking at a D6500. Instead of going up from D600/D610 to D750 (which should have been called D650 but definitely was a step up) we are now having a split-personality issue, half downscale, half upscale.

I can use the D7200 just fine without the vertical grip unless I am using longer and heavier lenses (like the 80-400 or 200-500), in which case the camera becomes almost unusable to me without the grip. I recently got a grip for the D800 and I am very much split about it: it's useful for shooting in portrait orientation but also adds so much weight and size to the body to make the combo just a tad to big and hence cumbersome.

Stop-down metering. I was thinking about the lower-end Nikon DSLRs that all did not allow it. I am unsure about the other Nikons as all that have the non-CPU menu allow metering (but they all have an Ai tab as well). None, AFAIK, allows it the old-fashioned way by pressing the DOF preview button (although I am not sure about liveview). I never had to deal with, so any clarification of erroneous information from my side is gladly accepted. I wish Andrew would show up, he seems to have that one down pat.

Yeah. Andrew was the one that complained about the fact that the Df doesn't allow stop down metering with Pre AI lenses but make you both enter lens data in memory as well as setting a matching aperture with the command dial to meter or use it in A mode. I think in this case the D7500 requires you to push the DOF button to meter in M. If you want to make it works in A you would have to hold the DOF button and then press the shutter release at the same time. A difficult thing to do so I think Nikon omit this capability.

Well I use stop down metering with my 35 PC and bellows lenses, it does seem to work on my cameras though accuracy may be affected. However, I know there is no metering whatsoever with some entry level Nikons when such a lens is mounted, I've also read that there are models which even won't open the shutter without a CPU lens mounted. I don't remember how the D70 was but my recollection is that it offered no metering without CPU.

All current models without the AI tab don't meter without CPU. Nikon decided to omit metering altogether rather than allowing CW and Spot to work May be for many no matrix is the same as no metering. However, Nikon may have changed their mind and allows the D7500 to meter only in CW and Spot.

Dieter wrote

"Puzzling that Nikon choose to go with the 20.9MP sensor from the D500 instead of keeping the 24MP sensor of the D7200."

The newer 20MP sensor has much better low light sensitivity than the old 24MP sensor. When you line up pixel length of each sensor, there is only a 7% reduction in linear sensitivity, which is negligible.

Has anyone mentioned that the metal top, and back plate of the D7200 has disappeared. I think the D7500 is now a carbon fiber body, which may be better, or not. I'm curious about that because lighter is also nice if durability isn't being sacrificed.

Cabon fiber I think is durable but it's cheaper in my opinion. So if I am in the market I wouldn't like it. Besides I like heavier camera not lighter.